PDA

View Full Version : Gum out

haggard 2hundie
04-11-2010, 03:36 PM
anyone use this on carbs, recomendations suggestions?

Grizzlypeg
04-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I recommend all sediment / dirt / residue / shellaque plugged, carb problems be addressed by tearing them down and cleaning them thoroughly. At the very least, remove the carb, remove the float bowl, observe and inspect what's going on there. Fuel additatives and sprays can only go so far.

haggard 2hundie
04-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I recommend all sediment / dirt / residue / shellaque plugged, carb problems be addressed by tearing them down and cleaning them thoroughly. At the very least, remove the carb, remove the float bowl, observe and inspect what's going on there. Fuel additatives and sprays can only go so far.

thank you the fuel seems blocked going int the carb and barely trickles out the petcock should i soak my carb in the gum out and the screen in the petcock is good but still bad flow i am missing the fues strainer screen, is this why?

Grizzlypeg
04-11-2010, 04:11 PM
If fuel isn't flowing freely from the petcock, you have to address that problem. That might be your only problem, or not. I'm not sure what your machine is. Can you remove the tank, drain it,and inspect the inside of the tank and fuel that came out? Can you get the fuel strainer out of the tank with the petcock and take a look at it? If there's particulate matter in the fuel tank, it will just keep plugging up screens and filters. An see through inline filter after the petcock isn't a bad idea either.

haggard 2hundie
04-11-2010, 04:43 PM
thanks its an 86 200x it sat for a yr w gas in it the gas that came out was a greenish color,i took apart the petcock and the screen seem good inside the tank looks ok too fule line seems good too , seems like the gas flows down the side of the carb, back up through the stem where the fuel line connects to the carb, the handle on the petcock moves is something possibly restricting movement inside the assembly also i am missing the fuel strainer screen majot prob or not?

Grizzlypeg
04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Gas getting old in a carb can make a real mess. The idle circuit is usually the first casualty. Where's the fuel strainer screen go? Can you order the part from Honda I wonder?

haggard 2hundie
04-11-2010, 06:52 PM
the service manual shows a pic of s small white tube off the top of the petcock that goes into the tank the fuel strainer screen slides over this tube i have the tube but no screen found plenty of 85 petcocks but no 86 will they inerchange i really appreciate all your input its a big help

ceaserthethird
04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Order a New Petcock, Fuel Hose, Rebuild Kit for the Carb with Jet's. ( You must Tear the Carb Apart to clean it very good )

Buy a New Air Filter & Spark Plug

Should take care of everything.

haggard 2hundie
04-11-2010, 10:50 PM
thanks again i really appreciate all your help. ps i looked at an 83 200x a while back (it hurt but i had to let it go) anyway the spark plug was on the right side, my 86 its on the left, wheres it at on 84 just wondering why the musical plugs, carb kit and filter are next on my wishlist already but am currently under an ebay ban from the holder of the credit lol any recomendation on filter is the k&n worth the xtra dough

harryredtrike
04-12-2010, 07:48 AM
remove your petcock assembly and see if you can blow through it,if you cant thats your problem.try the on position and the reserve position.you can do the same with the carb.lift the float and your breath should stop flowing

haggard 2hundie
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
can i use an 85 petcock, any should work right ? can i clean the petcock or just replace it?