PDA

View Full Version : 85' Tecate rebuild on a budget *UPDATE*

ryanclarke83
04-10-2010, 10:13 PM
since my last post the 85' Tecate is now complete!

unfortunately i havent been able to get a hold of new rear plastics...... i bought rear fenders on ebay but the dealership that had them up for auction didnt even have them in stock and i am told they are on "backorder" so i think we all know what that means......
anyway i have a new front fender on the way but i couldnt wait to take pics and post them... so i put the old cut back front fender on for now. of course since the fuel tank isnt made anymore, i went with the DC plastics tank skin.
the thumb throttle conversion went smooth and works well.... 3 new tires, and oem bolt kit, renthal bar pad, scott grips, new brake pads, DG works head pipe, new oem tail light, and a new front brake master cyclinder round out the new parts list

this is my first restoration build i have done. im a little disappointed in not receiving new fenders on time but here she is:

dcreel
04-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Looks really good. Great job. I like the Red Bull can on the reservoir. How did you go about putting a thumb throttle on it. We are going to have to go that route with the wife's Tecate. I'm guessing you ordered your rear fenders from Chaplin Kawaski.. I saw that DG works pipe from Chaplin kawasaki. I have heard bad things about them.

ryanclarke83
04-10-2010, 11:23 PM
the thumb throttle came off a tecate 4 and bolted up fine. i used an 85 kx250 throttle cable and a part off the old kxt cable to make a cable that worked... works great too. as for the pipe, that came from chaplin and the fenders are chaplin too. the guy you deal with there is actually really cool and easy to talk to but i see how they can get a bad rep from posting parts that dont exist. im not happy about it at all but im not a complainer either. so next time i call i willl be getting a refund on the fenders and i will continue to look for new ones. as it sits right now with all the mismatched green plastic, it looks better without plastic on it at all but i gotta use what i have. the pipe really woke that thing up too, i ran it quick today and did a plug chop. shes running lean as i anticipated (the plug was showing a med grey), so i ordered 3 main jet sizes (270 280 290) above where its at (260). ill get her dialed in and hopefully have a video up soon of what she can do
Thanks for the compliment!

HIK6911
04-10-2010, 11:48 PM
That is awesome! Restoring a 84' Honda ATC 200x. I would like to powder coat the frame. I am a Monster Energy drinker myself! My Boss will die from drinking to much Red Bull!!!(high blood pressure, because of me!) LMFAO!!!! Love it all!!! Later!

MonroeMike
04-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Looks great, nice job.

Vootie
04-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Looks great, super clean. My '85 project is at the same stage as you are, looking for fenders. I'm glad I caught this post, I was about to bid on the rear fenders on ebay from Chaplin. I've been searching ebay for over a month now with no sign of new fenders front or rear other than some ridiculously priced nos ones. I too had to slap on my old clapped out fenders yesterday to give it a test run, it looked so nice without fenders on it, now it looks butt ugly again. Oh well. Nice job on the resto.

ryanclarke83
04-11-2010, 09:48 AM
yea dont even bother with those chaplin fenders on ebay, its just a waste of time... it was disappointing seeing how good it looked without fenders on it, only to put the same crap back on but someday fresh rears will be on there and she should look dope! next week the new nos front fender (from ebay @ $108 *ouch* ) should be here so im half way there....

350Xccelerator
04-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Man, if thats on a budget id like to see what you wouldve done not on one lol

MagicJames
04-11-2010, 02:52 PM
x2 for what 350xcellerator said!

That looks nice, Good job! Now lets see some action shots!

ryanclarke83
04-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Man, if thats on a budget id like to see what you wouldve done not on one lol

thanks guys!
well if i had more than enough funds i would have had everything powder coated instead of painted and also i would have split the case and done the bottom end. fresh bearings through the whole bike would have been nice too.... this whole project costed $1300+ and a whole lotta time...

dirtbiken
04-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I would first like to say wonderful work on that beautiful tecate. They are my favorite trike! Man that is a awesome trike and I beat it sure is going to work good to.

BIGREDGUY
04-11-2010, 06:22 PM
That looks excellent, I like the Red Bull and the green boots.

mudbogger
04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
nice looking ride for sure-love the green frame for sure.I have had dealing with Chaplin myself, but I have had to date no issues with them, I saw another set of fenders on Ebay today, OEM and from another seller-just thought I would drop you a line.

3wheelmecca
04-11-2010, 09:14 PM
dang! really nice! I am doing an 84 for flattrack and trails, I just need a stator, rings, and a gasket kit. That thing will fly once dialed in, nice job!

DixiePlowboy
04-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Absolutely sweet.

Makes me want to put another green machine in the stable.

ryanclarke83
04-12-2010, 07:43 PM
thanks for all the compliments guys! alot of hard work and long hours ( 1 month and 4 days) went into this project.... Mudbogger, i appreciate the heads up on the fenders!
I should be getting my jets in tomorrow and it'll be dialed in shortly after so ill post up how it does when i get it right.

I personally think these green machines deserve a lot more attention...... i know the 250R's and zingers are Bad trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro, and even the utility 3's but the green ones deserve just as much attention! i love the Tecate especially, but anything with 3 wheels is cool with me!

tecat-z
04-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Lookin' great. Nice to see another devoted Tecate owner that gits after it!

ryanclarke83
04-12-2010, 10:34 PM
right on! im tryin to get at it! haha