PDA

View Full Version : Tecate carb options-

mudbogger
04-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Just wanted to let the Tecate fellas here in a carb swap that's pretty sweet IMO.I have recently been wrenching around ideas for replacements carbs, I purchased a 34mm VM off ebay, but it didn't fit the intake from JESWINEHART well, so I came across a 35mm PWK Keihin CARB and it fit's like a glove in the intake and stock air box.I also was able to use the stock elbow off the original carb lid on the Keihin carb,here's a link to my write up on the mods, thought it might be of some help to the Tecate riders here.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=23&pp=10&page=19

The stock internals in the 35pwk matched perfectly with my motor, which is all new OEM bore, piston,head.Idles, smooth, slow jet is just right for the motor, 1/4 to half throttle crips, response perfect, I need to install rear shock and do plug chops for top end,I'll post that in the future but so far, the carb is a great mod that really does not need alot of re-working internally to get a nice performance upgrade.

Vootie
04-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Interesing, I have a 35 pwk on my blaster, maybe I'll pull it and put it on my tecate. Right now I have a 36? pj that I'm having issues attaching the throttle cable to. Thanks for the info.

mudbogger
04-10-2010, 09:25 AM
my pleasure, look at the link for the stock elbow mod, it was easy.You'll need a snap ring kit,and some pliers,a spacer of some small washers,15/16 drill bit, flare kit for brake lines,and some time.

mudbogger
05-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I have been working on plug chops with this carb,it came stock with a 160 main,I have increased this up as I did the chops, I currently have a 178 main jet in there and it is way to lean still.It is totally starving for fuel on top end, it flattens out big time with the current main in it, plug is white, no burn pattern at all, need a bigger jet for sure.In hindsight it might be better to install a larger carb for the motor as the short stroke makes fuel so important,and the V-FORCE reeds with stuffer should help with proper fuel intake.We will see if the larger main installed will make the carb come alive, I am hoping the PWK will perform as advertised,I do like the smaller carb for the bottom end which I do need.I also am running 13-44 gears which does kill the top end too.

mudbogger
05-02-2010, 08:30 AM
ordered a jet kit for Kiehin from ROCKY MTN, with my 'frequent buyer points' it was only 100 bucks with free shipping, kit is nice, 5 of each jet from 125-210.Will post options when I get them in here.

Vootie
05-02-2010, 10:50 AM
What motor mods do you have other than the VF3? Just curious as I'm about to order a bunch of jets and kind of want a ballpark to start from. Also, fyi, jetsrus.com sells individual jets much cheaper than buying a jet kit. Once you get the PWk dialed in, it's a great carb, not nearly as finicky as the older PJ's.

mudbogger
05-02-2010, 06:20 PM
What motor mods do you have other than the VF3? Just curious as I'm about to order a bunch of jets and kind of want a ballpark to start from. Also, fyi, jetsrus.com sells individual jets much cheaper than buying a jet kit. Once you get the PWk dialed in, it's a great carb, not nearly as finicky as the older PJ's.

Not alot, just the reeds, the bore is a 70mm,35mm PWK carb,stock expansion chamber with DG SILENCER, bottom end stock,stock jug.I figured I could get the jets cheaper,but I have so many machines and all run Kiehins-I am constantly jetting and the extras could be handy on rides.

Vootie
05-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Ahh, gotcha, jet kits the way to go if you have multiple Keihins. My motor is basically the same setup, minus the reeds. I did some plug chops today and found a 155 main came back pretty good. I ordered some slow jets, that's mainly where I'm having issues. Also, you mentioned in the tecate group that your comp was high. Any idea what stock compression should be? I checked mine today and it's 150 psi. I'm thinking that's kinda low.

mudbogger
05-12-2010, 04:55 PM
ok having some issues.I can't seem to get the plug chops near what I need, it is way lean, I took the jets to the biggest I have which was a 215 main jet and installed, was way lean, after I drilled that main jet out with a 1/8 drill bit, still way lean,it pulls nicely on mid range to 3/4 then top end again flattens out.I tryed every position on the needle,different needles even, no change, the plug is white, no burn ring on the it,I took some pictures of the plug.I also checked the compression, it is 205 warm.The motor is new,V-FORCE REEDS with the stuffer installed,35 mm PWK 68 slow jet,stock needle,stock expansion chamber with DG SILENCER,all new piston, rings on jug done by US CHROME.Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I cannot understand why I am not getting fuel into this jug.These pictures are running 32:1 pump gas.Any ideas?The jug was not decked to my knowledge,it was re-plated, not resleved.Alos, the head to my knowledge was not milled, but I did not cc it and I used a OEM head gasket.I did lap the head and removed some material to make it flat, but would that cause the compression increase? I can't tell you the head has not been shaved as I purchased it used.

DixiePlowboy
05-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Definitely sounds/seems like that would should be a huge main jet for your application. I had trouble trying to jet the new 39mm PWK I put on the '85 Tecate(Stock jug and ports, boyesen Pro reeds, DG and another coned headpipe alternating) I had last year. I couldn't get a plug color even with a 210 in it. Someone suggested that my choice of oil(Klotz Super Techniplate @32:!) was not allowing a good reading in just a run or two on a fresh plug.....like it was burning too clean.

I'm not so sure about that, but I do know that I never got a color on just a few runs.

I ended up having to go by feel...which seemed to be a #168 main in that 39mm......which was within 2 sizes of my buddy's '89 KX250 with a 39mm PWK. Definitely an unnerving undertaking!

BTW: I'm not suggesting you try to jump down as far as I did in jet sizes. Don't want a meltdown on my conscience.

mudbogger
05-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I am using Amsoil mix with high test 32:1 PUMP GAS. I am very very nervous of leaning this motor out till it poofkabooms. I agree, I was totally shocked after I drilled out the 210(sorry not a 215) with that 1/8 bit I figured for sure it would be fouled, but it wasn't. I cannot see the 35 PWK being the issue as the stock size is a 34mm.Theres is no burn ring on the plug at all, I even cut 1 plug to look, nothing.Is it possible the mix is burning that clean? I understand from reading here these motors have a short stroke so massive fuel intake is needed for them,but why can't this carb do it? The carb is new-it will idle,I can adjust it on the idle/mid range circuits with great results.Perhaps a air leak in the bottom end sucking air? Motor is all new, cases lapped, Yamabond used in case-assembly.There has been a slight coating of black on the outer edges of the plug,but I attribute that to the re-plating-am I wrong? It is not carbon, looks to be paint honestly.

Tecate 50
05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Your compression ratio at 205 psi seems a bit high for unleaded pump gas IMO! You might wanna try throwing in some (leaded) race fuel! Just a thought.....

mudbogger
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Your compression ratio at 205 psi seems a bit high for unleaded pump gas IMO! You might wanna try throwing in some (leaded) race fuel! Just a thought.....

will the race fuel make the difference? it seems to be a lack of fuel, not lack of octane-what will the higher octane do, it will just burn at a cleaner, higher ratio correct?

Tecate 50
05-13-2010, 03:01 AM
Im not saying this is the answer, but just a thought. Race fuel reacts just the opposite when needed, the fuel burns at a slower rate, this may or may not darken up the plug! Lots of things come to play when tuning: jetting, timing, fuel, etc.....IMO with 205 psi I would definately be running some leaded race fuel. But again this may not be the answer......good luck and keep us posted!

Maico
05-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Do a leak down check before you do anything more.

mudbogger
05-13-2010, 07:57 PM
was looking into my testers to see if I can get them to work on the jug-we had the same thoughts.If it passes, which it did prior to install, I will rip the carb out and get another in there just to see.I have some 100 octane racing fuel being picked up for me tonight,we will see if that does the trick.

mudbogger
05-14-2010, 08:15 PM

You are correct sir, did the leak down test, reeds and intake leaking all over the place! Now, the V-FORCE reeds I have installed fit in the jug tightly, I mean very tightly-the stock cage slides into the jug easily,any body use these reeds and if so was the fit in the jug tight like mine? I am thinking of using the stock cage with some Boyesen reeds and getting rid of the V-Force package.I will post results after I get gaskets and reeds.I also got a used TM mikuni flatside carb used, looks ok, slide has some wear-might try it out as well.

dcreel
05-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I swear by the Mikuni TM flat slides. All 3 Tecates of mine have one. Give it a shot.

mudbogger
05-14-2010, 08:36 PM
picture of the carb, it has some wear on the slide,and looks like the floats were sticking as the bowl has numerous hammer marks on it, clear cut sign of it.I also got a box of goodies today-including the COFFMANS exhaust.Heres some pictures. Are the Boyesen reeds a good choice for these motors?

mudbogger
05-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I swear by the Mikuni TM flat slides. All 3 Tecates of mine have one. Give it a shot.

38mm fit in the stock air box? or do you need a K&N filter?

dcreel
05-14-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure, the stock airbox is the first thing I toss.. I have a UFO airbox and use K&N's with outerwears on the other 2. I use the Boyesen reeds on mine and they seem to run great.

mudbogger
05-14-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure, the stock airbox is the first thing I toss.. I have a UFO airbox and use K&N's with outerwears on the other 2. I use the Boyesen reeds on mine and they seem to run great.

Have a picture and part numbers for the K&N filters by chance?Do they need a bracket of some sort to hang off the back of the carb? Did you use Power reeds or the fiber?

dcreel
05-14-2010, 09:22 PM
I used the regular reeds, Here is a filter like the one I have on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Tecate-4-K-N-Clamp-Air-Filter-w-Outerwear-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cef0777a4QQitemZ33042 7758500QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I measured the carb outlet and how much length I would have for the filter add the 20 degree bend. I should have kept the model number but didn't. I'll check it out and get back to you. No bracket needed use the supplied hose clamp and it works great.

mudbogger
05-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I used the regular reeds, Here is a filter like the one I have on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Tecate-4-K-N-Clamp-Air-Filter-w-Outerwear-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cef0777a4QQitemZ33042 7758500QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I measured the carb outlet and how much length I would have for the filter add the 20 degree bend. I should have kept the model number but didn't. I'll check it out and get back to you. No bracket needed use the supplied hose clamp and it works great.

thanks for the link.Does that thread we have here for the Tecate interchangeable parts include intakes by chance?I would like to get a OEM 1-is there a KX INTAKE THAT WORKS on these motors by chance?

sblt500r
05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
i have a kx250 v force cage in my 86 t3 and it slides right in, no resistance.

with the v force cages you have to put sealer on both sides of the flange, as they don't seal well with just a gasket.

nd4speed
05-14-2010, 10:23 PM
the intake bolt pattern has been the same on the kx250 and kx500 for over 2 decades so lots of reed cages fit.

As far as the rubber carb boot reproduction ones can be bought from a member on this site.

I use KX250 Boysene Rad Valve for KX250 which is angled and does not allow one to use an air box.

mudbogger
05-14-2010, 10:31 PM
the intake bolt pattern has been the same on the kx250 and kx500 for over 2 decades so lots of reed cages fit.

As far as the rubber carb boot reproduction ones can be bought from a member on this site.

I use KX250 Boysene Rad Valve for KX250 which is angled and does not allow one to use an air box.

Yes-I have 1 from JESWINEHART but I am having issues getting it to seal properly, got any tricks by chance?

jeswinehart
05-14-2010, 10:41 PM
yes, use the red high temp silicone as a sealing agent. Not a whole bunch but rather a light coating.
let it sit for 24 hours to cure after snugging the bolts down in a criss cross pattern.
My V froce 3 reeds fit in okay, no issues about getting them in place but like sblt said, seal every thing up intake wise.
The 38mm carb I run fits into the air box rubber okay
john

mudbogger
05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
hi John, when I snug them tightly it appears to me to cut into the material, I used YAMABOND on all the surfaces, with gaskets in between each and it still leaked.I was worried the intake would rip when i SNUGGED THEM DOWN-don't then, it can take it?

jeswinehart
05-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Greg, if it breaks or what ever, I will replace it. If it still sucks air after mounting, I will replace it.
For some reason I did not keep your mailing info so be sure to PM me that if a replacement is in order.
And yes, Yamabond/Hondabond is much better choice.

john

mudbogger
05-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Greg, if it breaks or what ever, I will replace it. If it still sucks air after mounting, I will replace it.
For some reason I did not keep your mailing info so be sure to PM me that if a replacement is in order.
And yes, Yamabond/Hondabond is much better choice.

john

Hi John, I re-installed the reeds and intake today using the red high temp silicone, I'll let it sit for 24 hrs and recheck it, I am not the best at gaskets to be honest, lets see what happenes before you send it.Theres is 1 bolt on the side of the intake that when snugged is pushing the intake out alittle bit, I took a picture of it for us to view.I snugged the bolts with a 1/4 inch rachet hand tight. I also took the stuffer out of the V-Force reeds to see if that helps/hurts.
On another note I ordered Boyesen reeds for the stock cage in case for some reason this doesnt not seal-LOL

jeswinehart
05-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Greg, if you get a moment, post up a picture of that stuffer box thing. I just can't get it thru my head as to what that is.
like I said in my PM, I HOPE it is a intake boot problem ! I can take care of that. I just feel bad for you having troubles no matter what it turns out to be.

john

mudbogger
05-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Ok,John, sorry I left the "stuffer" at my garage,I don't have it here-I will take a picture and post tomorrow for you. Here's pictures of the intake snugged down.I did not by any means overtighten the bolts, they were snugged with 1/4 inch rachet hand tight, can you see the area around the 1 bolt I am referring too, it seems to be pushed out. I tightened the bolts till it was snug,and you see the end result on the kicker side of the intake. Your thoughts?I did not have time to leak down test today, had bis at work to take care of, hopefully tomorrow I will leak down test it and I'll post a report. I am going to try the 35 mm PWK again before going to ANOTHER CARB/REED PACKAGE.
Also I included a picture of the Coffman's silencer I just purchased, I have the expansaion chamber as well!

jeswinehart
05-16-2010, 07:31 PM
yeah there is something amiss with that one. Now can I PLEASE have your address again :)
*don't have another green one but got a replacement ready to ship out to you*

john

sblt500r
05-16-2010, 09:02 PM
those are v force 3's. i use the v-force 2's as there supposed to be better. the 2's don't use a stuffer. never seen a force 3. the 2's are all screwed together.

john, on your intakes, is the aluminum flange a piece of billet or an aluminum epoxy poured into a mold?

jeswinehart
05-17-2010, 06:37 AM
I run a set of V force 3 om my 84/85 motor. It was what come on it so I don't know any different.
But at any rate, the flange is made up of 50% atomized alu + 50% resins. Mold poured
I have got to think there was air bubble entrapment in that area that I could not see when I made it so it would just crush out.
A board member sent me a old intake boot and I removed the rubber from it, what a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro of a job to do !
The intake turned out as O.E.M. as it gets but if that is what I had to do to make intake boots, I would NOT make intake boots ~ it was that much a pita.
One of our overseas members has had 10 prototype flanges stamped out and I am awaiting those to try.
I had asked muddoger to try the carb cleaner trick on his motor if leak down test shows a vacuum leak, just to isolate if the leak is indeed coming from the intake area so looking forward to hearing those results.
Now, anybody got Gregs address ! Obviously, from pm talk + here he is a very humble sorts and don't want seem like he is taking advantage of me or something ,,, somebody PM me his address !

mudbogger
05-17-2010, 09:23 AM
ok update.I leak down tested the intake, was worse them before.I removed it and took some pictures, the alumn insert on the 2 side bolts were broken, and the rubber inside was collapsed as well.I only tightened them hand tight, again with the 1/4 ratchet,and just snugged.I will post the pictures here to see if for some reason I did something wrong.I know I did not overtighten the bolts on the cage/intake, perhaps the insert was damaged or weakened by shipping-god knows I have had much shipping damage for sure.Anyway-I hate to send it back to Jeswinehart,and I hope that my postings on this issue will not hinder a person/s here to purchase from John, the stuff he does is top notch,great customer servcie, and I am sure this is a isolated case.Things do happen when you make a product, the world's not a perfect place for sure!!

mudbogger
05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
I am wondering what OEM intake will fit on this motor? Are the 84-89 KX 500 AND KX 250 intakes the same.The reason I ask is for my spare motor I am currently rebuilding needs one as well, and I like the information too! I was looking for the thread on interchangeable parts here, but cannot seem to locate it.

jeswinehart
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Okay, Greg finally PM'd me his address ! heck, he even wants to pay the shipping ,,, told ya this guy is humble !
Yep, that one is rubbish so toss it, I don't even want to see it Greg.
I will have a replacement in the mail by noon via priority and NOooo, you are NOT gonna pay for anything.
I am darn sorry something of mine caused you so much work !

john

mudbogger
05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Please, perish the thought!!!. You did nothing, stuff happens, I may have done something wrong as well!I was going to send the old 1 back, perhaps it may help in future molds? I wanted to get a honest opinion on it, see if I screwed it up:)
oh btw as if life gets better-the front caliper started to leak,LOL!More to do on this ride, dam!

mudbogger
05-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Have a question related to this, race fuel-the local station sells CAM2 fuel, 2 grades 109 octane and 114 octane-at my compression level of 205-should I try a gallon of the 109 or the 114, and is the rpm range I have good for the 109 grade?

mudbogger
05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Pictures of the intake for Jeswinehart.Also pictured is the "stuffer" I had installed in the reeds.

mudbogger
05-22-2010, 05:13 AM
got the replacement intake from JESWINEHART thank you very much looking to installl over the weekend-will post results!!!

mudbogger
05-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, what do you know-installed the replacement intake from JESWINEHART and it sealed right up-PHEW!! i AIR LEAK TESETD THE MOTOR TODAY-HELD 6 POUNDS FOR 4 HRS, then I released the pressure and double checked it again at 5 pounds with soapy weater, held steady all day at 5 pounds no leaks!! thank you JESWINEHART for the replacement.I installed the COFFMANS exhaust,tank, etc and it is ready to go tomorrow for some jetting using the 35 mm PWK 68 slow jet, 185 main, stock needle on middle groove.Those are just preliminary, I know I might have to change it up, I will post pictures later of the exhaust and intake mounted.

jeswinehart
05-29-2010, 08:26 PM
You are very welcome Mudbogger and again, I apologize for the "blem" one one being a BUM one.

john

mudbogger
05-29-2010, 09:32 PM
You are very welcome Mudbogger and again, I apologize for the "blem" one one being a BUM one.

john

please, no worries! stuff happens for sure, especially when you are making the stuff!

dcreel
05-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Loving the Coffman's exhaust. Where di you get that countershaft sprocket cover? Is there any identifying marks on it? That thing is sharp. Is it plastic or metal?

mudbogger
05-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Loving the Coffman's exhaust. Where di you get that countershaft sprocket cover? Is there any identifying marks on it? That thing is sharp. Is it plastic or metal?

I have 2 of them, it has the markings on it for the gears selections,it is plastic not metal so it would do nothing if the chain jumps-I got 1 from BIKE BANDIT and the other from Ebay.The Coffmans exhaust slid right on with no issues, I was very nice install indeed.Looking forward to checking the jetting on the motor, see if I can run the pump gas with the higher compression.

Tectool
05-30-2010, 10:43 AM
I holed a piston once...a long time ago and switched to VP with Blendzall....and havent had an issue since....I am kinda worried though...you leave that poor old Tecate locked up alone all night with all those Hondas?

mudbogger
05-30-2010, 01:28 PM
yup-it said it like being an outcast.Can you explain the VP with Blendzall please.

Tectool
05-31-2010, 09:59 PM
I read an article in Dirtbike magazine about the additives in pump gas...something like oxygenits or something like that...I think it causes preignition in high compression engines...I was also told that other synthetic two cycle oils gum things up and cause reed wear...I dont know if any of that is true or not but I never ever foul plugs and have almost zero smoke at 40:1...they will start smoking when I use other race fuels...same jetting...the best part...the cylinder on my 87 Kawasaki Tecate-4 lasted almost exactly 20 years....almost no wear....or holes in pistons since...

mudbogger
06-06-2010, 08:08 AM
ok, update on this nightmare.I tryed for hrs to get the 35mm PWK to get some color on my plug, no matter what I tryed it would not get any color, and it would run lean, lean way lean.I got to the point where the heat, fatigue,and headache from the 91 degrees it was yesterday almost caused me to list it on Craigslist! So, I took the 35mm PWK out, and I went over to my stockpile of carbs-I had a old PE37MM carb that was in great shape, check it against the 35mm and the intake, air box OD'S were same, so I installed it, thinking if this does not work I am just going to buy a new carb screw it.I really do not want to buy a new one, was trying to avoid it.Well, what do you know, after some minor changes, that 37mm jetted perfectly using 93 octane pump gas-142 main, slow jet 52, stock needle on 4th groove, the middle groove it ran alittle lean on the plug,the 4th groove it blubbers slightly on take off, but clears right up on mid range/top end.Pulls nicely through the power band as well.I have a 44 tooth sprocket on the rear, which gives me tire off the ground in pretty much every gear, but kills me on top speed, gonna switch to a 37 rear and see the difference.My question to all this is-because the stroke is so short on these motors is the bigger carb better?I could not get that 35 pwk to do anything, it is a flatside carb, the PE is a older roudside carb, does that roundside deliver more fuel quicker? Also, does the TM flatside carbs work with the stock air box, or do you have to remove the stock box and go K&N for them?
I will leave the PE in here,and ride it like this for a spell.If I feell the need to buy a new carb I guess I will go that route,I really like the stock air box though.

Vootie
06-06-2010, 09:45 AM
hmm, that's odd. Was the PWK new? I've had nothing but good luck with that carb on other motors. Anyway, I'm having carb issues too on my tecate. I did a leak down test and my intake was leaking like crazy, ordered a replacement from John Swinehart, and no more leaks, but it still runs lean and will not idle. I've gone from a 142 main all the way up to a 180, and from a 42 pilot to a 60, all with no change in how it's running. 150 psi compression. I was going to replace my PJ with a PWK, but I'm a little weary after following your posts. Not sure what a good replacement would be, but I'd like to stick with Keihin as I have about 50 jets laying around.

mudbogger
06-06-2010, 10:31 AM
hmm, that's odd. Was the PWK new? I've had nothing but good luck with that carb on other motors. Anyway, I'm having carb issues too on my tecate. I did a leak down test and my intake was leaking like crazy, ordered a replacement from John Swinehart, and no more leaks, but it still runs lean and will not idle. I've gone from a 142 main all the way up to a 180, and from a 42 pilot to a 60, all with no change in how it's running. 150 psi compression. I was going to replace my PJ with a PWK, but I'm a little weary after following your posts. Not sure what a good replacement would be, but I'd like to stick with Keihin as I have about 50 jets laying around.

well, sounds exactly like my issues I had with the 35mm PWK. The PWK was brand new-right out of the box-I am going to do a CSI of the internals, the only thing I can think is the float levels are off.I have had nothing but great sucess with the PWK'S as well on my Honda Odyssey's for years.I had exaclty the same issues, way lean, changed out exactly the same internals, I even drilled out a 210 with a drill bit just to get color on the plug, still did not work.I am thinking the smaller throttle valve may not allow the fuel charge to get in the cylinder to match the stroke of the motor, where the round side allows the charge to fill quicker? Now mind you I got 205 PSI in my jug but I got a pancake color with the 37mm on 93 octane and HP2 oil 32:1 mix 142 main, 52 slow jet,stock needle 4th groove,and stock throttle valve 3.0.I like the Kiehins also, do you have a older roundslide laying around by chance? The only reason I used it was to keep the OEM airbox,If your not going to use it the sky is the limit, 30PWK was a favorite with some others here.They go with a K&N filter off the rear of the carb.

Vootie
06-06-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't run an airbox and use a UNI pod off the back of the carb. I have a 36mm PJ on my tecate now, but I'm thinking that the internals are wore out. The bowl leaks and overall it's a pretty abused looking carb. I was thinking of another PJ carb, but I'm not sure what size to go with. My motor is 90% stock. Are the PJ's round slide? If I'm not mistaken they are flat side. I don't know much at all about the PE's. Were you having idleing issues? I was thinking that maybe my float level was off, but if I jam the gas it doesn't stall out. The idle just slowly dies off after about 30 seconds then stalls. I'm not really sure how to set the float level. Is it machine specific, or carb specific?

dcreel
06-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I think the PJ is an oval slide.

mudbogger
12-24-2010, 03:22 PM
installed a "new" 38mm TM flatside on the motor nothing but issues.I cannot get it to run over 1/4 throttle at all.Tryed everything, checked the float levels,needle notches,throttle valves, still cannot get it to run.Installed a 39PWK air stryker on it, and it ran fine, less a lean plug when removed.I have posted this in the GROUPS section as well.This TM CARB I bought, any of you guys have issues with them? I could use some ideas on what I need to get it to perform properly on my motor.

3Razors
12-24-2010, 03:59 PM
If you have the 38mm tm mikuni a very easy way to get your jetting in the ballpark would be to look in the jimmy white specs manual. It's listed on this site. Follow it exactly, you will probably have to go smaller on the main jet than is listed though if you are running a stock tecate cylinder and not the kx one he used.

Also where did you get your new 38 tm? Many of them come equipped with the 1.5 needle valve for snowmobile use (fuel pump required), you need the 3.3 needle valve for use or you could be having fuel starvation issues.

dcreel
12-24-2010, 04:12 PM
I hadn't thought of that either..

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/001-23.jpg

dcreel
12-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Dang, Mudbogger.. There is the part number for the cable too... Thanks 3Razors..

And there is a typo too. Mikuni didn't make a VM38FS. But they did make a TM38FS. So I'm thinking it's a typo..

3Razors
12-24-2010, 04:25 PM
No prob. I've used those specs before and found them spot on with just a slight tweak for my elevation. Pay close attention to the needle jet/needle numbers and make sure you use them. I tried that setup with the stock airbox and found it to be not enough airflow without the lid removed.

dcreel
12-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Here is the link to the Jimmy White Tecate manual:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/files/Manuals/JWR1.pdf

I printed off a copy for the garage..

mudbogger
12-24-2010, 05:15 PM
If you have the 38mm tm mikuni a very easy way to get your jetting in the ballpark would be to look in the jimmy white specs manual. It's listed on this site. Follow it exactly, you will probably have to go smaller on the main jet than is listed though if you are running a stock tecate cylinder and not the kx one he used.

Also where did you get your new 38 tm? Many of them come equipped with the 1.5 needle valve for snowmobile use (fuel pump required), you need the 3.3 needle valve for use or you could be having fuel starvation issues.

Hello and thanks for the help! I purchased the TM off Ebay to be honest.How can I check on the needle valve-are the number listed anywhere for each by chance so I can check?.My carb is no where near these listings at all, the needle I have is the stock 6fj41 series alone-main is a 230-listed is a 360-380 how would you size the differences in the VM mains and the TM MAIN JETS, are they the same exact main jets?

dcreel
12-24-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty sure they both use the same main jets. Mine has the 4/042 jets in it. Here is a VM Manual I found.

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

3Razors
12-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Hello and thanks for the help! I purchased the TM off Ebay to be honest.How can I check on the needle valve-are the number listed anywhere for each by chance so I can check?.My carb is no where near these listings at all, the needle I have is the stock 6fj41 series alone-main is a 230-listed is a 360-380 how would you size the differences in the VM mains and the TM MAIN JETS, are they the same exact main jets?

The needle valve is a brass fitting also called the seat. It is under the float tang. You need to unscrew the phillips screw that holds it in place, get a pair of needle nose pliars and gently pull it out. You will find the numbers on it then.

Yes the TM and VM roundbore carbs use the same large hex type jets.

You can get a 3.3 needle valve for $15 from dennis kirk.com p/n 786-46001-3.3

mudbogger
12-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Took the carb apart, mine has a 3.5 throttle valve in it,needle is a 6fj41 on middle groove,389- Q2,270 main jet way off from the JIMMY WHITE SPECS FOR SURE!

3Razors
12-24-2010, 06:06 PM
3.5 needle valve is good, keep it. What about the needle jet numbers? Its a long brass tube that goes verticle inside the carb. To get it out take off the main jet and then gently push down on it from from above (where the throttle slide is)

mudbogger
12-24-2010, 06:13 PM
389-Q2 it is.Came right out, almost seemed loose, I barely pushed it and it fell out.

Here is a link for parts from JETS-R-US the table of valves is leanerto richer, which way would you go for a purchase?

http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needlejet_jets_mikuni.htm

3Razors
12-24-2010, 06:25 PM
From the manual it needs a 389-Q6. Good place to call up is carbparts.com and order the needle jet, needle, and any other jets.

Just want to be sure. You said 3.5 throttle valve, did you mean needle valve? The throttle slide has a cutaway that will have numbers on it like 4.0, 3.5, ect. To get the float tang off to get to the need valve you need a small punch with a light tap of the hammer on the pin that holds the tang.

mudbogger
12-24-2010, 06:42 PM
From the manual it needs a 389-Q6. Good place to call up is carbparts.com and order the needle jet, needle, and any other jets.

Just want to be sure. You said 3.5 throttle valve, did you mean needle valve? The throttle slide has a cutaway that will have numbers on it like 4.0, 3.5, ect. To get the float tang off to get to the need valve you need a small punch with a light tap of the hammer on the pin that holds the tang.

I apologize, your right!, I tapped the pin out for the brass floats,then removed the float retainer with a phillips head,then the small retainer spring, slid the needle valve out and gently pulled the brass assembly out and on it was the 3.5.Thats what I am was terming the throttle valve.Your right I meant needle valve.The throttle slide(or cut away) is a 4.0 as well my apologies.

3Razors
12-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Looks like Jetrus has what you need, cheaper prices too than what I've seen at carbparts.com. Just get exactly what is listed in the Jimmy manual, plus a few sizes down on the main jets.

dcreel
12-24-2010, 06:58 PM
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/mikuni_tmseries_images/tm_mikuni_parts_view.gif
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/mikuni_tmseries_images/tm_mikuni_jetting.gif

dcreel
12-24-2010, 07:03 PM
http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

fig. 3 shows the cutaway

mudbogger
12-24-2010, 07:28 PM
PLACED ORDER with jets r us total was 29 bucks,small price to pay for the piece of mind cuase this carn is driving me nuts!

mudbogger
12-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Dang, Mudbogger.. There is the part number for the cable too... Thanks 3Razors..

And there is a typo too. Mikuni didn't make a VM38FS. But they did make a TM38FS. So I'm thinking it's a typo..

That cable comes up on a search as a throttle cable for a 84-85 KX250/500 sweet GOT 1 OFF EBAY!

mudbogger
12-24-2010, 08:48 PM
3 Razors and Dcreel- thanks so much for the help today-this carb has been driving me nuts for some time now, as well as that cable number for the carb too! Much appreciated my friend, please let me know if I can help you in the future as well.Merry Christmas!!!

dcreel
12-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I need to order one of those too.

mudbogger
12-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Cable (which is NOS BTW) came in as well my internals for the TM from JETS-R-US installed them in the carb, hopefully the ride report tomorrow will be a upbeat 1 instead of a rant! I installed the cable in the carb off the ride, it is in my opinion alot easier to do it off the ride, and I'll just slide it up and into the throttle quickly.

mudbogger
01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Finally the end has come.I installed the carb today, and it ran GREAT! Plug chops with the 370 main were just a touch on the lean side, but the smoke ring on the porcelain was almost 3/4 of the way up on it, with a very very light touch of brown on the top.I adjusted from the bottom up for a good portion of my time today,the needle on the 2nd groove seemed to give me very good throttle response up to 3/4, it idled fine as well when warm.Thanks goodness for that posting with the link to JIMMY WHITE MANUAL-I NEVER COULD HAVE DONE IT without the great fellas here.I'll post some plug chops in the coming weeks.Thanks again for the help!!

dcreel
01-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Awesome!!! I'm glad we could help.. Great news..

mudbogger
01-02-2011, 09:59 PM
LOL, YOUR TELLING ME? IT made my weekend sunny and bright on a otherwise cloudy and rainy day for sure!!

99gsxr750
01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Just wanted to let the Tecate fellas here in a carb swap that's pretty sweet IMO.I have recently been wrenching around ideas for replacements carbs, I purchased a 34mm VM off ebay, but it didn't fit the intake from JESWINEHART well, so I came across a 35mm PWK Keihin CARB and it fit's like a glove in the intake and stock air box.I also was able to use the stock elbow off the original carb lid on the Keihin carb,here's a link to my write up on the mods, thought it might be of some help to the Tecate riders here.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=23&pp=10&page=19

The stock internals in the 35pwk matched perfectly with my motor, which is all new OEM bore, piston,head.Idles, smooth, slow jet is just right for the motor, 1/4 to half throttle crips, response perfect, I need to install rear shock and do plug chops for top end,I'll post that in the future but so far, the carb is a great mod that really does not need alot of re-working internally to get a nice performance upgrade.

Was the 34 too small to fit into the intake? I need a new carb and that's the one I'm considering. Eventually I'll be replacing the intake too.

mudbogger
01-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes the 34 VM was just a little to small for me, it will fit but you will need to really tighten down on the clamp to get it to seal properly. In my opinion it was too smal, I prefer a snug fit and it was by no means snug.I would recommend you not purchase that carb for your Tecate motor.Now remember I was using a JESWINEHART replacement intake.

mudbogger
01-04-2011, 09:01 PM
I see your from EASTERN PA-you ever ride on the ANTHRACITE COAL properties by chance?

mudbogger
01-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Finally the end has come.I installed the carb today, and it ran GREAT! Plug chops with the 370 main were just a touch on the lean side, but the smoke ring on the porcelain was almost 3/4 of the way up on it, with a very very light touch of brown on the top.I adjusted from the bottom up for a good portion of my time today,the needle on the 2nd groove seemed to give me very good throttle response up to 3/4, it idled fine as well when warm.Thanks goodness for that posting with the link to JIMMY WHITE MANUAL-I NEVER COULD HAVE DONE IT without the great fellas here.I'll post some plug chops in the coming weeks.Thanks again for the help!!

Rode the Tecate today, and after some plug chops and adjustments, I went up to a 380 main, and then back to the 370 with a gear change, that really helped on the top end speed, 44 tooth down to a 37 tooth rear made the speed I needed.It was sunny,clear,near 45 degrees and the 370 plug chops came back nice and light brown, smoke ring about 1/2 up the porcelain.

99gsxr750
01-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes the 34 VM was just a little to small for me, it will fit but you will need to really tighten down on the clamp to get it to seal properly. In my opinion it was too smal, I prefer a snug fit and it was by no means snug.I would recommend you not purchase that carb for your Tecate motor.Now remember I was using a JESWINEHART replacement intake.

The stock carb is 32 so I figured the 34 would work. I am using the stock intake boot, but will eventually be replacing it. It appears the o.d. of the 32/34 is 40mm while the 36 is 43mm.

I see your from EASTERN PA-you ever ride on the ANTHRACITE COAL properties by chance?

Yes, I've ridden in the Hazelton coal mines. I've also ridden at the Dixon R Miller recerational area across from the Pocono Raceway.