PDA

View Full Version : front end wobble on pavement. T3

200x Basket
08-29-2003, 06:57 PM
i was wanting to take my tecate 3 to the 1/8th mile drag strip but at high speeds the front end begins to wobble. i am scared to top 4th out because of it. the triples are tight, the wheel bearings are good, and i am out of ideas. help :oops:

Xowner
08-29-2003, 07:37 PM
tires unblanced? rim bent tire worped?

i dunno ideas

250rAL
08-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Bent fork?

200x Basket
08-29-2003, 08:04 PM
well the forks look good to the the eye and they align up very well. the front time is like new. i am thinking maybe it is different tire pressure in the rear and the wide dura blue axle. :? i have no idea and it sucks. it is not an issue on the dirt.

Xowner
08-29-2003, 08:47 PM
year check the tire presure could trailprotrailpro frame be bent?

KASEY
08-29-2003, 08:53 PM
put it up on your stand put it in high gear start out slow ,,,,i will bet you will have a real balance issue with the rear tires,,, then take the caliper off the front and spin it to see if you have a heavy spot there too,,,,
while the rear is spinning you will be able to observe the axle and hubs to see if you have a bend or something,,,,

200x Basket
08-29-2003, 09:11 PM
the rear tires are old and weather checked. i am going to look into that. i had the fron rim/tire on my 250r and it ran perfect so i dont think that is it (but i wont rule it out). my frame looks straight but anything is possible. keep the ideas comming, i will be working on it all day tomorrow until i fix this!!! the axle is a NOS dura blue but it could also be bent. the rear hubs are 17 year old original so that is a good possibility.

keepum coming!!!

J.D.
08-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Are your steering neck bearings good?

200x Basket
08-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Are your steering neck bearings good?

brand spanking new!!!! this is a pain in the ass. most all of the parts are new. it may be a simple thing but i ran out of time to look at it today

Lots_Of_Nothing
08-30-2003, 12:41 AM
are all your axle bolts tight? just a little while ago my front end was wobbling like hell, i had no idea what it was.....checked everything, then i noticed that my axle lock nuts werent even tight, (must of shook lose from riding on train tracks), i tightened them up and its smooth as hell....

except..i never understood why the rear axle made the front end shake......

Dirtcrasher
08-30-2003, 12:32 PM
i was wanting to take my tecate 3 to the 1/8th mile drag strip but at high speeds the front end begins to wobble. i am scared to top 4th out because of it. the triples are tight, the wheel bearings are good, and i am out of ideas. help :oops:

My SX use to turn on a dime - as soon as I put the 200X front end on there running it correctly as far as trailing axle - it wobbles like crazy and turns lousy. I tried dropping the forks in the triples and even changing to leading axle setup and then back. I still haven't figured it out :?

SpeedBump
08-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Hey, check out the front brake caliper. Mine hung up the slightest bit, and caused the front to wobble some. Also, air pressure. I dropped a few lbs, and it helped a good bit. Seemed to be riding (when on hardpack or road) only on the middle knobs, dropped it so the contact patch was larger. Hope ya fix it, we wanna see some timeslips :-D

Wickedfinger
08-30-2003, 04:07 PM
... pull those forks out of the trees, then tell me if one of them isn't bent.

kdagenais
08-30-2003, 05:24 PM
I am not an expert on this particular problem but have seen it on street bikes alot and always has been a bad tire. If you have a spare around try to swap it and see what happens.
Good Luck!

Howdy
08-30-2003, 07:20 PM
... pull those forks out of the trees, then tell me if one of them isn't bent.

You can also just loosen up the forks and turn them 1/4 turn each. Then ride it and see if you have any wobble. No wobble means you found the problem. ;)
Howdy

Dirtcrasher
08-31-2003, 08:57 AM
Every bearing, seal etc on my 87 SX is new or perfect. And the forks anre also perfectly straight. The only thing I see is a larger front tire is on there now. There is no front brake to drag at all. Yet it wobbles like crazy and after reading some of these responses - I'm not sure what else to look for.

SpeedBump
09-01-2003, 12:54 AM
Buy a quad, no probs with a little front end tire wobble :oops:

TeCaTe_MaN
09-01-2003, 03:41 PM
my t3 wobbles a little at high speeds too, i dont worry about it, i have never worried about wrecking because of it...or even slight loss of control...i know i have a widddddle bend in my rear axil...so i am pretty sure it is that :?

MR ATC
09-01-2003, 05:01 PM
hmmm i wonder what it could be :rolleyes: i might know, but what do i know. :twisted:

Dirtcrasher
09-01-2003, 07:59 PM
hmmm i wonder what it could be :rolleyes: i might know, but what do i know. :twisted:

Aww come on boss - I still don't have that tire so at least you could hook me up!! :-D

200xman
09-01-2003, 08:12 PM

Hey, drop the attitude. You are not on the other site. :-D

Dirtcrasher
09-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Cmon - before some wipes out because of this what is the cause or possible causes?????????

PLEASE :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Howdy
09-02-2003, 08:02 AM

I have to agree with 200xman here.
Howdy

Jeb
09-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Uh-Oh, big problems! Better go back to 250Rs and sell me all your goodies for the KXT! ;)

I ran mine up to 70 on a paved road. That was about all it had. It's got the stock gearing, tires, wheels, axle and swingarm. I did it next to a pickup with stock size tires to kind of guage top speed. I decided then that 70 on a paved road on a 3 wheeler is ridiculously stupid. It's out of it's element. I never noticed any headshake, front wheel wobble, or "tank slappers" i've heard some people experience. I know your a drag racer, but In my opinion, If your going to drag race a tecate on pavement, you need to think seriously about a steering damper and probably slick low profile rears (18x11-10 equivalent) and probably a smooth front tire.

MR ATC
09-02-2003, 11:47 AM

Howdy

it has nothing to do with .org. it has to do with his attitude towords me in other threads. if i tell him what the problem is all he'll do is argue with me, tell me i don't know what i'm talking about, insult me and my family. so...he told me to shut up so i am.... i just mearly pointed out i know his problem

Dirtcrasher
09-02-2003, 12:01 PM

Howdy

it has nothing to do with .org. it has to do with his attitude towords me in other threads. if i tell him what the problem is all he'll do is argue with me, tell me i don't know what i'm talking about, insult me and my family. so...he told me to shut up so i am.... i just mearly pointed out i know his problem

Could you kindly email me at ATCThomas@TMLP.com and tell me what to look for with a front end wobble?? - I promise not to share but I need help fixing mine. The only problem with retaliation towards one person is that it affects ALL of us and not just that person. I thought the idea was to help each other on this board :?