PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade a 1983 ATC 200 for a 1983 ATC 250r?

86trizinger
04-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Anyone have opinions on this.

I have a 83 atc 200 with a 200 s engine in it. RUns pretty good. Everything works and runs pretty good other then the tank needing cleaned out. I have someone that want to trade me a 1983 ATC 250r.

I was told it is pretty quick but needs some brake work. So I am guessing they aren't working at all. Said he's selling it because its hard to ride on trails near him that are tight.

I have never ridden a 250r so I am not sure what I would be getting in to. I only ride on the farm at my parents usually.. But a 2 stroke could be very fun since I already have a 200x. Locally I can only sell this for $300-350 with the economy the way it is.
Need some thoughts and opinions on this.

oldskool83
04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
its not a woods bike thas for sure. pics tell the story

86trizinger
04-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I only have the cell phone pics. Both bikes are in about the same condition though other then brakes.

Dirtcrasher
04-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Just remember that if the 2 stroke isn't fresh, it could seize up..... Most people are terrified of splitting cases so allot of the air and liquid cooled 250R's need main bearings and or a crank or con rod too.

A tired 4 stroke seems to just keep chugging along aside from some smoking......

But, you have a 200X also and if you prepared to rebuild a 2 stroke (if it hasn't been freshened up) then go for it.

Most of these older trikes (esp. 2 strokes) need swinger bearings, axle bearings, brake pads and so on. Only because there usually beat on a bit more than a 200S......

86trizinger
04-09-2010, 04:59 PM
I didn't know about the crank and rod bearings. Something was done on the engine but I am waiting on an email to explain exactly what was rebuilt. I have no problem doing a top end but haven't tried a bottom end yet. Seems like it could get expensive quick.

jeffs250Russell
04-22-2010, 11:09 PM
I had the 85 200X 20 years ago and know it very well. The R is very different in the woods it will jump out from under you if your not carefull.Not sayin anything bad I will go to my grave with mine now. Just respect it at all times. I have had mine now for about 8mon. and just now have started pulling the front end up by just hitting the throttle.(something the X wont do)and WOW! I have never had so much fun in my life.Just take your time and get to know the machine.