PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about putting 400ex swinger into 350x?

Escanabajosh
04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
i'm getting parts together for my 350x and i was wondering if anyone knows all of whats needed to put in a 400ex swing arm? also what year to go with, if any change in length.

am i better of just running the stock swinger with a 300ex/400ex axle? is there a diffrence in the 300 and the 400 axle wise? can i run a 400ex rear shock or will the 350x shock mount up?

anyone run a swinger on the 350x that isn't a stock swinger off a diffrent bike?

i gotta figure this out soon my b-days in a month so i gotta have the frame welded up and swinger mounted so i can try and get it powder coated for my b-day gift! if not that i was thinking about hitting up the mosh's for a seat. she gotta caslte coat so i better get somthing cool!

jensenracing77
04-07-2010, 06:02 PM
the 400EX has a link and the 350X does not. the 400 is wider also. the 400 axle will not fit the 300 or 350X swing arm. if you are going to modify the 350X to put on a 400EX swingarm you will have to have the 400 linkage and shock. also you will have to make sure that the linkage mount, upper shock mount and swingarm mount location is the exact same as the 400 or the shock will not work right. all this has to be positioned correctly to the sprocket. good luck and have fun.

Dirtcrasher
04-07-2010, 07:31 PM
It's easier to find cheap and like new 450R stuff......

But likje Jensen said, rerofitting parts is great and makes ya happy; But unless it is dead nuts geometry wise (which is near impossible to duplicate from swapping parts) it's a crap shoot.

Or, you are a welder/machinist/fabricator and can try different setups like Jason Hall does. He doesn't call it an improved product until he knows it's an improvement........

I'm not say it CAN'T BE DONE (we ALL want aluminum swingarms.....), but there is more to it than people think, like 10 years ago when I was still a bit green and put a 200X shock on a 250SX without using the same geometry and WEIGHT (It wasn't much of an improvement and I cracked the frame......No MIG back then, :lol:).

Know one learns from not trying..............

Escanabajosh
04-07-2010, 07:39 PM
thanks jensen and dc, the girlfriend is looking at getting a new 4 wheeler, might be a 400ex so i'll have one to look at.

the 350x was spose to be this winters project, looks like i'm shooting for next winter now,lol.

Escanabajosh
04-08-2010, 02:17 PM
think i'm going to just run the stock swinger for now and once i get the machine done i can save up for a custom made one, thanks for the replys guys

jensenracing77
04-08-2010, 06:35 PM
no problem, i think you would be best to do that. just getting the back shock rebuilt for your specs will help more than you think.