PDA

View Full Version : Chain Clacking

urackem9
04-07-2010, 09:14 AM
I have a 83 200e.I just changed out my rear sprocket because it was shot. I can see that the front sprocket is pretty worn out also. I can tighten up my chain but after thrity minutes or so especially when its in a bind it begins to make the clacking noise agian. It nevers comes off just makes the noise when you really giving it gas. Anything but front sprocket? If so need help on how to change because it has high low and I heard its complex. Thanks

honda200x1987
04-07-2010, 09:21 AM
what model atc/atv do you have? It can be a little complicated when changing a front sprocket, if its a utility such as a honda atc110 or trx125, just slowly take the HI/LO range apart, it's like a puzzle, study it and put it back the exact way you took it apart. take the four bolts out of the hi/lo range outer casing then pull the gears out, there will be two shifting forks and two sets of gears if i rember right. then there wil be another set of bolts you need to take out to remove the inner hi/lo range case and there you have it. You will be able to get to the front sprocket.

honda200x1987
04-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Remember. I think you should be able to remove the entire gear set and forks at the same time from the HI/LO range, slowly pull out all of them at once. This will make it easier for you. This is your problem, you definatley,positively need to change your front sprocket.

urackem9
04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Its an 83 200e

atctim
04-07-2010, 10:53 AM
When replacing old sprockets, one must also replace the chain - as it has worn to the old worn out sprockets. As a best practice - when any of the 3 needs replaced (front Sprocket, rear Sprocket, Chain) they should all be replaced with new parts at the same time.

harryredtrike
04-07-2010, 11:01 AM
you should always change both sprockets and chain at the same time.

honda200x1987
04-07-2010, 11:26 AM
you should always change both sprockets and chain at the same time. Correct ,replace front and rear sprockets with a new chain at the same time, otherwise the old chain will wear the new sprockets out and always use no sling chain lube.

urackem9
04-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Well, I took off the high low range and noticed that there were no other nuts holding it on at that section. I had to take off the pull rope. Then I had to take off the parts all the way until I got until the timing cover and gears. Then the whole piece slid off including the sprocket. Much more complicated than I first expected. The sprocket had maybe a eighth of an inch of teeth left. It was definately shot!

atctim
04-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Yeah - this is one of those situation that I swear Honda had Yamaha engineers working for them. Same goes for the front forks on that same machine. The front sprocket change seems too overly complicated - and the same goes for the smaller 90 / 110 / 125 with Hi Lo range gearboxes. As long as you have a manual, or you took the sub tranny out in a methodical way and arranged them as they came out - you should be ok.