PDA

View Full Version : carb help

jk5blazer
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Ok so here goes, I have an 86 250sx. I just put in a shindy carb kit. Before i did the kit it was sputtering a WOT and had a black/wet plug. Running rich. So i put the kit in and it really didnt do to much good. I come to find out that it had a 125 main and I put in a new 130 main that came in the kit. Woops!!! So i put the 125 back in and it still runs ruff. While starting if with starter fluid (only way to get it going while cold) I noticed it ran great with the airbox lid off. so now it runs great 1/4 to WOT. So I have a few questions:
1. why is it running rich if it has the stock jet size in there?
2. Is something else causing it? What size whould you suggest me go to e.g. 122, 120......
3. what is the jet pointed out in the pic?
thanks for your time, and any other suggestions would be great

the 250sx is as bone stock as they come as far as i can tell. Just picked it up last week for 200 bucks....."needs tune-up"......... should have known

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/jk5blazer/250sxcarb.jpg

jk5blazer
04-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Anyone........?

tri again
04-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Ok so here goes, I have an 86 250sx. hI just put in a shindy carb kit. Before i did the kit it was sputtering a WOT and had a black/wet plug. Running rich. So i put the kit in and it really didnt do to much good. I come to find out that it had a 125 main and I put in a new 130 main that came in the kit. Woops!!! So i put the 125 back in and it still runs ruff. While starting if with starter fluid (only way to get it going while cold) I noticed it ran great with the airbox lid off. so now it runs great 1/4 to WOT. So I have a few questions:
1. why is it running rich if it has the stock jet size in there?
2. Is something else causing it? What size whould you suggest me go to e.g. 122, 120......
3. what is the jet pointed out in the pic?
thanks for your time, and any other suggestions would be great

the 250sx is as bone stock as they come as far as i can tell. Just picked it up last week for 200 bucks....."needs tune-up"......... should have known

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/jk5blazer/250sxcarb.jpg

hi

I just went thru 3 of those in the last week or so.

you have the rubber plug so the jet on the side is the cold start.
Lucky you. as the older ones were press in and drill only

let me look.

ok that extreme front one is the air screw, then inside the bowl it goes

08 or 80 (cant see too well)

then yer coldstart/rubberplug complex
next is a 45 ????????and under it is an emulsion tube that should fall out but you might need to pluck it out.............

then 38 main
next 130
then float valve seat

???????make sure the passages are clear.
Clean/clear jets mean nothing o get a piece of fuel line and mouth blow to see if the internal passages
are clear.

better yet is an air compressor inside a paper shopping bag so anything you missed won't fly off to fresno

jk5blazer
04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
So what is sthat jet's name. I need to replace it. I assume the size is 80 or 08? Thanks

Woodsrider
04-10-2010, 09:58 AM
From what I understand, a 130 main jet is the stock size and a 125 is suggested for high altitude adjustment. Your clip position on your needle jet is supposed to be the second groove. You should verify if your carb is set up like this.

Now...I'm going to take a stab at this...the jet to the right of the rubber plug is the SLOW jet and the jet to the right of that is the MAIN jet. I believe your arrow is pointing to a screw that just plugs the opening because you have the starter jet(because you have an '86), which is in the side of the tube with the rubber plug . In an '85 carb, that screw would actually be the primary jet. Have you had this screw out?

So, I think that this screw is not your concern. You need to follow the procedure for setting up your carb...after you are sure that it is in fact clean inside and that all passages are clear like drjoe171 said.

Hope this helps..good luck.

jk5blazer
04-10-2010, 10:30 AM
ok cool.....I think? Yes i have had that screw out. It had a hole through it like a normal jet would but was cloged and striped so I could not remove it. The only way I could was by putting a torx bit in it and unscrewing it that way. I will leave it for now though because it sounds like it is of no importance. From what I read the stock jet is 130 and is what was in it when I bought it. The orginal symptoms where as dicribed above: bogging/sputtering at WOT with a black spark plug. Now with a 125 main and the needle still at the 2nd postion and the airbox lid off I can get it to scream at WOT just real "boggie" at 1/4 throttle. If the air box lid goes on then the orginal symptoms come back .I know I can adjust for the low respnce now by moving the needel but dont want to without figuring out the main first. I live in northeast GA witch has mountains but I would not consider it to be "high altitude"! Its just under 1000ft!! I ordered jet sizes 122, 120, 118 and 115 and they should be here by monday or tuesday. I just dont get it. Thanks for your help guys

Woodsrider
04-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't have any '86 carbs to look at here for a reference.....and I really don't know if what I wrote is accurate or not...it seemed reasonable...

Thorpe
04-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I think you need to put another rebuild kit into it... Those super munched up jet cant be good... I had gotten a carb kit for my ES from dennis kirk, that came with the wrong main jet in it... (that was a head scratcher) The ES/SX carbs are very finikey about the smallest grime in them. I would take it apart (all of it) and reclean and use plenty of carb spray, and reassemble... IMO