PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to the 3 wheel scene and need help with my new bike!

DeathTrap
04-06-2010, 11:56 AM
A good family friend bought a drag race car setup with a trailer a few years back and it came with this three wheeler as a pit bike. I recently found out he was trying to sell it and told him right away I wanted to buy it. Long story short he said I can just have it if I got it off the side of his house. It runs awesome but needs to be jump started because the battery is shot and the pull starter wont wind up.

Edit: I have established it is a 1983

I was told it is a 1985 Honda Big red 200cc but I dont really see anywhere on the bike that tells any of this so Im not sure if hes 100% correct or not. Judging from some of the pictures ive seen on here it looks like it might be a 250. Can anyone verify by this picture what exactly it is? I was giving a place to decode the VIN but the bike is currently in my dads garage until I go down to pick it up, Ill have to get him to tell me the vin when he gets gome.

Also it needs a new gas tank due to rust it leaks, as well as a new pull starter. Any suggestions on where to buy parts for this. Also a big question is what gas tanks are interchangeable on these? Do I have to get one for an 85 200cc or will the 250cc tank fit?

And lastly.. I love this thing and always wanted one!
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs082.snc3/15015_1318568519786_1097940185_30866329_2569227_n. jpg

mopar_man
04-06-2010, 12:02 PM
How bad does the tank leak? If it's just a pinhole, get a POR15 tank sealing kit. It'll seal it and stop it from rusting internally. I would take the pull start off and see what's wrong. Complete recoils are expensive. Replacing the rope and spring is easy. As for the year, just guessing by the tank alone, it's an '84 200ES.

honda200x1987
04-06-2010, 12:06 PM
That is a 1983 200e big red from what I see from the picture judging from the seat and should be a chain drive, the seat has the piping, the 84 200es has no piping on the seat and is a shaft drive. Now as for the fuel tank, a 1982 200E, 1983 200E 1984 200ES BIG RED will fit your bike. There are memebers on here that have parts. Post what you need to buy in the ATV classifieds section on here, if no luck there try eBay, you are sure to find a tank and pull start there.

BigO
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Dont have to much info for ya but welcome

DeathTrap
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the fast replies guys! The tank is really bad, the inside has been sealed with some sort of tan colored sealant as well as some type of cement on the the outside that you can see in the picture but it leaks quite fast from both sides of the tank. As for the recoil starter I havnt taken it apart yet but the chord just hangs all the way out and wont wind back up. If its that expensive ill probably just stick with getting a battery first since it cranks up no problem with the electric starter. How hard are the brakes to rebuild? The front one will hardly budge but its not clamping down so it still rolls fine.

honda200x1987
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
The brakes are very simple to fix I think, it sounds like you a new front brake cable. check you cables to see if they move freely. Make sure you have plenty of tools when working on your ATC, NEVER use vice grips, wire plyers when removing bolts etc, they can damage them.The standard tools you need are 10 mm 12 mm 14 mm, all metric sockets and wrenches are needed to work on them. You may ned to buy a repair manual to work on your specific bike but they are simple to work on, trial and error.

DeathTrap
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
So other than ebay and classifieds wheres the best place to buy parts for this such as new brake cables, pads, parts for the recoil starter if it just needs a spring or something. And lastly can
I find a repair manual somewhere? Im pretty good at tinkering with engines and mechanics but when it comes to anything electrical Im completely lost.

honda200x1987
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I have pictures of my restored 1984 200ES BIG RED in my profile.

honda200x1987
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Here is a repair manual that will help on eBay. Most of the time eBay is cheaper when buying parts, also try beatrice cycle on the web. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Honda-Atc-200-200X-200E-200ES-Big-Red-Repair-Manual_W0QQitemZ220562885834QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMot ors_Manuals_Literature?hash=item335a928cca

DeathTrap
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
The lever for the high and low range is also either missing or broken off, can I just replace the lever or do i need a whole to transfer case or whatever its called. Are there any PDF files for the repair manual rather than paying $30 for one?

bonkers_200s
04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I had the same trike when I was a kid and the starter wouldn't recoil. If you take the pull start off and apart there is a big round spring that pulls the cord back in with a hook on one end. Mine snapped off. What I did was heat it up and bend a new hook on it. Don't put it in water to rapidly cool it, as it will become brittle and break almost instantly, let it cool off naturally. If you plan on using the pull start often, you're going to have to learn how to recoil them, easy as pie. Once you've done it a 100 times you should be able to do in 5 minutes with your eyes closed.

Xhumeka
04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
So other than ebay and classifieds wheres the best place to buy parts for this such as new brake cables, pads, parts for the recoil starter if it just needs a spring or something. And lastly can
I find a repair manual somewhere? Im pretty good at tinkering with engines and mechanics but when it comes to anything electrical Im completely lost.

I buy my cables from eBay seller "sledpartsguy". Fast shipping, GREAT service... never had a problem with the 10+ orders I've made from him. For example, here's a rear hand-brake cable for the 1983 200e:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-ATC-200E-ATC200E-1983-Rear-Hand-Brake-Cable-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eab5a5f9dQQitemZ20 0443322269QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

As for a shop manual, here you go... 1982-1983 Honda 200E Big Red:

http://www.ragefaction.info/images/psych0/orv/manuals/service_manuals/Honda%20200E%20Big%20Red%201982-83%20CD.pdf

DeathTrap
04-06-2010, 06:08 PM
The lever for the high and low range is also either missing or broken off, can I just replace the lever or do i need a whole to transfer case or whatever its called.

Anyone know?

mopar_man
04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
How hard are the brakes to rebuild? The front one will hardly budge but its not clamping down so it still rolls fine.

Brakes are extremely easy to work on. Disconnect and check your cables first though. The cables on my '82 200 were seized solid all the way around but the shoes were still good.

The lever for the high and low range is also either missing or broken off, can I just replace the lever or do i need a whole to transfer case or whatever its called.

On my '83 200E, the high/low lever is held on with a large Philips screw. I can get a picture if you need.

DeathTrap
04-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Man I can't express how helpful you guys over here are! Thanks for all the replies yall have really made getting into this easy. A few more questions and I promise I'll be out of your hair, atleast until I pick it up start doing more tinkering.

What oil should I put in and how much?

Same question for tranny fluid?

Any downsides to the plastic replacement tanks other than not being original?

Is the lever on the top right of the engine for releasing compression for easier starting?

If I get a new tank and the brakes working good what do you think this thing is worth? The motor and trans work like a charm and only one of the plasics have a crack that has been repaired.

Xhumeka
04-06-2010, 06:58 PM
First verify the year and model of your trike. If you do have an '83 200e (big red) here is the owners manual - it answers almost all your question above: http://www.ragefaction.info/images/psych0/orv/manuals/atc/atc_owners_manuals/own83atcbigred.pdf

Whatever you can't find in the owners manual you can find in the service manual.

Have fun, and let's see some pics of it!

tundrawolf
04-06-2010, 07:12 PM
If you're jonesing, get a bunch of nuts and bolts and metal its and put it in your gas tank with a little water, and shake them all around there. Hold the gas tank upside down, sideways, etc. Shake it up good. Then, drain the nuts and bolts through the filler and rinse thoroughly with water. Then do it again. And again. And one more time. Maybe one more time. Ok that's good for now. Take a piece of chalk and fill your tank with water. Mark all the areas where water comes out, like you would a tire tube. use some course grit (600?) then some finer grit and get down to the metal on all the circled spots. Use brake cleaner to clean these areas well, then mix up some JB weld and goo up those spots.

Don't just goop it up, push it into the holes, and spread and knead it into the metal. Make sure you used a very clean spotless rag with the brake cleaner before you do this. Let it sit at least 24 hours and never lower than 60 degrees for more than 8 hours. Make sure the epoxy doesn't run, you may have to tend to it for the first few hours. A new tank is a better idea, but for the meantime this will only take a few hours and will get you up and going. While you are down, I suggest taking the carby apart, even though it runs good, and thoroughly cleaning every port and jet and passage.

DeathTrap
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the advice I might try that but I'm not actually going back down to pick it up from my parents garage for atleast two weaks so I have some time to source a tank. When I first picked it up from the guy I just filled it up and held rags against it while I rode around with a huge smile on my face. The tank has definetly had some extensive work done to it already to try to seal it inside and out but it's still not holding.

And I'm 99% sure it's an 83 200e. I called my mom and got her to read me the VIN but she could hardly make it out so I don't think she got it right. When I entered it into the decoder it said 1983 unknown model ATC. It's a chain drive, has high and low range, and a short seat. From all the reading and pictures i've seen on this sight it looks to be a 200e

200XMichigan
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Nice trike, and for free. JB Weld done right can hold up for a couple years if done right. But a new tank is way better if you can afford one. I would JB Weld it and wait till the right metal tank comes along. They look a lot better than the plastic replacements.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

tundrawolf
04-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Well, fix the tank, and keep it as a spare. I know you will enjoy your machine!

SYKO
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
I think I have an extra tank laying around for that model, ill have to check and see and get back to you on it, free if its usable. You rin Jville eh? not to far from where we ride in waycross ga at the sandhill sand pits, good riding I got alot of fla and Jville boys onto this spot from atvflorida.com. Im hoping to get over there soon for a get together/ride, you should try to make it!

edit: on your tank now, sounds like someone put KREME in it to seal it, if you want to fix that tank, buy a 5 gallon bucket and put the tank in it then get you three gallons of muratic acid and fill it up so that it gets inside the tank and does the outside as well. It will disolve the kreme liner and clean all the gunk off pull out rinse with soapy hot water then tape all the holes from the outside up, once the inside is gfood and dry use a full quart of POR15 gas tank sealer in it! make sure you seal the top and the petcock swish it all around untill its fully coverd good inside, pour the excess out. Let dry for two days remove the tape on the outside spray some paint on the outside put the petcock back on, put it on the machine fillup and ride!

DeathTrap
04-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks a ton SYKO! Good to hear from a local southerner. Ive heard of waycross as a few of my buddies ride moto. This is my first off road vehicle of my own though ive rode friends quads and dirtbikes my whole life. Im definitely going to give your technique a try. Im familiar with using POR15 on the floor pans restoring a 72 camaro but I havnt heard of the tank sealant. Im guessing this is a separate product? Since I really dont plan on running this tank long do you think I could get away with skipping the step of removing the KREME sealant or should I definitely go ahead and use the muratic acid? Also do I need to cover the petcock hole from the inside or just tape it up from the outside?

And let me know about that tank if you have it for sure!

MonroeMike
04-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Welcome to the forum.

200XMichigan
04-06-2010, 11:07 PM
If Skyo has a good tank and lives close don't even mess with trying to fix the other one. It would be well worth driving 4 hours for a good tank, rather than spending 4 hours using JB weld and muratic acid. JB weld is only good if you're really broke or can't find another tank and want to ride.

DeathTrap
04-06-2010, 11:25 PM
If Skyo has a good tank and lives close don't even mess with trying to fix the other one. It would be well worth driving 4 hours for a good tank, rather than spending 4 hours using JB weld and muratic acid. JB weld is only good if you're really broke or can't find another tank and want to ride.

I definitely agree, especially because after trying to acid clean, POR15, even jb weld I'm looking at around $40 plus the time when I could get a new plastic tank for $88 on eBay and just run that until I find a metal original. Soo please let know about that tank SYKO I'll drive up to you and if your not looking for any money I'll atleast buy you a case of beer!

aldochina
04-07-2010, 12:12 AM
If you want original honda parts, most people use service honda. I run honda gn4 oil in all my 4-strokes. Plastic tanks are fine, just dont look nearly as nice as a stock tank. 200E's are great machines, i love mine!! You can tell its a 200e if it is chain driven. 84 200es is shaft driven. Enjoy man!!

DeathTrap
04-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Im pretty good with working on motors but I was wondering if there was a thread or DIY post on removing and cleaning the carb? It runs good now but I want to clean it but dont want to end up putting it back together and have it run like crap.

aldochina
04-07-2010, 12:43 AM
those carbs are pretty simple. Send Monroe Mike a pm, he can get you the service manual if you dont already have it. IT will give you a good diagram of where everything goes. there arnt to many parts to that carb, so dont be intimidated.

DeathTrap
04-14-2010, 06:25 PM
What's the best way to fix the missing lever for the high low range? I can't seem to find the part. Is there a easy way to just ghetto rig it? I havnt taken a hard look at it but I'm sure I could attach something there along the lines of a small wrench or piece of metal with a hole in the end?