PDA

View Full Version : 87 es bigred cam/ valve adj

tri again
04-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Got this one from a rancher.
Rockers noisy.
Had to adjust them so that the adjuster screw is just about flush with the
top o' the lock nut.

Felt kinda sloppy sideways, and axial rock motion but it sounds good and I rarely double the idle speed.

What should I do and how soon?

I heard something about doing a roller cam beFORE the cam journals get too wasted.

Maybe its already too late.

Spits oil real nice with the covers off, btw.

Dirtcrasher
04-05-2010, 10:49 PM
87 WHAT!!??

200X? Sounds like an 87 250SX or 250ES to me....... Both had very few head issues unless it ran low on oil. The 200X valves are way easier to adjust, IDT thats what you have.........

All those roller cams are fairly expensive...

No wonder no one replied, give up some more info bro!!

tri again
04-06-2010, 02:58 AM
87 WHAT!!??

200X? Sounds like an 87 250SX or 250ES to me....... Both had very few head issues unless it ran low on oil. The 200X valves are way easier to adjust, IDT thats what you have.........

All those roller cams are fairly expensive...

No wonder no one replied, give up some more info bro!!

Thanks for babysitting/ Must've been late and too many different engines in the same day.

This sloppy rocker is an 87 big red es

The rocker lock nut took a box end wrench 13 o 14 and the actual adjuster was a tiny square something that I actually pushed a piece of fuel line onto so I could turn it so delicately to get as close to .003.".

When I first got this last week or so, 20 hrs of soaking / waterlemonjuice boiling the carb..wekk, you can imagine how long it sat.

Anyway, fired it up and freaked at the deathrattle.

Even the neighbors from 100 yards came over to tell me to SHUTIT OFF

The knock was the same pulse as the exhaust pops so I had a good feeling it was 1/2 crank speed or 1/4 of 8 crank pivots.

anyway, it sounded BAD!!!!

so I adjusted the valves and it purrs like it's new, starts with 1/2 second of starter pulse.

I have never seen valnes that loose, had to be 1/4" lash and was seriously afraid that it might be too far gone for a simple adjustment.

I wiggled the rockers fore and aft and axially and it feels kinda sloppy.

The thing about adjusting with the fuel line on the adjuster screw..the top of the adjuster screw is flush or slightly lower...down below the top of the locknut.

I've prob put 10 hrs on it since and it still sounds like a dream machine.

I'd hate to chew anything more up, but rarely double the idle speed on this one doing farm chores.

Should I get rocker shafts and rockers?

Think it can wait till next winter?

thanks

I have a great pic of it on gf's computer and will try to shoot one off the next time I wake up.