PDA

View Full Version : '82-'83 Big Red Reverse Kit... Lookie what I found !! Big Pic's BEWARE DIAL- UPPER"S

sandpuppi101
04-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Well I guess I can finally put this story to rest for not only myself but also for a bunch of other guy's that i've had this conversation with over the year's about there actually being a reverse kit that was put out back in the 80's for the chain driven Big Red's.Unlike the Lock Ness Monster and Sasquatch I'm happy to say that I can close the book on this conversation and I now have in my possession Proof,:lol:

I actually came across this complete kit a few week's ago and about pisse'd my pant's when I found it.The reverse kit was made by a company called Paltec which was located in Paltec Florida and the kit I got was totally complete.It actually came with the Direction's both of the gear's a drive chain and decal's for both the tank and a reverse decal that is to be placed on the sub trans.With mounting up the kit it is a fact that you will actually be sacraficing the High range from the machine,but that will give you all the gear's in reverse,which on a trike I don't think I'd wanna peg the throttle going 20 or 25 mph backward's in 3rd or 4th gear,IMO.I know over the year's there's been alot of conversation over this being real and by checking around I found that the actual price back in the day was $99.00 for the kit and it was listed in the old Dirt wheel's and 3 wheeling magazine's.

When I got the kit I pulled out one of my Big Red's outta storage and had it up in the air on the lift and was actually gonna start going at it removing the sub-tranny and installing the kit but after talking it over with Joedirt ,Ditchmud and ATC-Sam I decided that I'd probably be better off just to keep the kit in the OEM box rather than put it on the '83 Big Red.I'm sure it would be awesome to try it out but i've been looking for this kit since the late 80's and I figure that I ain't doing myself any favor's by installing the kit since I'm planning on selling the Big Red anyway's,now if I was too keep the machine I prolly would put it in but I think I'm just gonna put it on the shelf in my office for a rainy day or something.I talked it over with a couple people and I mite look into seeing if I could get something similar made up since I know how it work's now.So there you go guy's I think everybody will appreciate seeing it and now in your conversation's you can tell people that they actually do exist.Does anybody else have one of these kit's and or ever seen one before.I did a search on the forum's 17 page's worth actually and back to 2003 and see it mentioned a few time's but no evidence.ATC Tim and Curtis you guy's mentioned these kit's but you've never seen them before.

What would you do ,would you put the kit on ,knowing that I wanna sell the machine or put it on the shelf like I'm gonna do?Here's some pic's,I made them big so you's could read the direction's also,and did I mention that the '83 Big Red's for sale,LOL..

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/sandpuppi101/IMG_0113.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/sandpuppi101/IMG_0111.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/sandpuppi101/IMG_0109.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/sandpuppi101/IMG_0110.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/sandpuppi101/IMG_0106.jpg

mike1979
04-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Um Yeah, just so ya know, I have an 82 atc200 that i never plan to get rid of... Ya know, just in case you wanna see if this thing REALLY works. (hint hint)

sandpuppi101
04-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Um Yeah, just so ya know, I have an 82 atc200 that i never plan to get rid of... Ya know, just in case you wanna see if this thing REALLY works. (hint hint)

Yeah,I bet you'd like to see if it work's,LOL.. Is your 200 a regular 200 or a Big Red 200E,if it's the 200E Big Red slap up a pic of it,I think that the color scheme on that '82 is the nicest of all the Big Red's.I also like the 200 models .

jesse8931
04-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I say install it but thats just me

Vealmonkey
04-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I remember hearing of them, but never really gave them a second thought since I've just never been into the utility trikes. But this is the kind of things I dig, the odd and unusual. And I would rather much have a chain drive with reverse than a shaft drive trike. Now all you need is an aftermarket chain tensioner and you should be golden. I guess with the chain drive + reverse, you need to be extra cautious about the state of tension your chain is in and the condition of your sprockets. Super Cool find you have there. Sometimes I like the hunt better than I like the finished product. I think you could get those sprockets and stuff reproduced. I think you'll find though, 30 people that say they want them and then 2 or 3 that actually step up when they are done. Best of luck with whatever you would decide to do. I know who could reproduce those decals for you though, blue27.

BIGREDGUY
04-04-2010, 03:24 PM
WOW, i have a 1982 200e Big Red and the one thing i dont like about it is no reverse. So you think its actually possible to mock (reproduce) the kit?? Btw thanks for sharing.

hublake
04-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Roger,
I have an 83 BR if you want to see how it works!!

mike1979
04-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah,I bet you'd like to see if it work's,LOL.. Is your 200 a regular 200 or a Big Red 200E,if it's the 200E Big Red slap up a pic of it,I think that the color scheme on that '82 is the nicest of all the Big Red's.I also like the 200 models .

Mine is the beautiful but plain jane 200. She's a bit camera shy as she is wearing a duct taped seat right now, but in otherwise beautiful condition. I have lots of hours into this one that sat for more than 13 yrs.

mopar_man
04-05-2010, 08:28 AM
What would you do ,would you put the kit on ,knowing that I wanna sell the machine or put it on the shelf like I'm gonna do?

You've been looking for that kit for 20+ years. It would be foolish to put it into something you're going to sell. I say reproduce the kit, use that reproduction kit, and keep the original in the box.

atctim
04-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Roger - that is super cool man. I have an advertisement for one of these in one of my old mags. I will copy it and send it to you.

Kintore
04-05-2010, 08:49 AM
VERY cool roger! awesome find man!

200XMichigan
04-05-2010, 08:53 AM
I would say keep the kit. And keep the Big Red. With the kit on the Big Red it would be like it just stepped out of 1983. If I was looking for something that rare for that long I would want to try it. I would want to ride backwards, and show it off, going in reverse. It would really be a cool piece of history, it doesn't sound like anyone has even seen one before.

But if you have to sell the Big Red, I'd still probably install the kit just to try it out. You could always have gears reproduced even if those had a couple hours use on them.

Taiser
04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
I think I remember seeing adds for that thing in a old 3Wheelin mag. Reason I remember is that I was going to look into getting one, but decided against it. Didn't want to give up the high range! :)

sandpuppi101
04-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Roger - that is super cool man. I have an advertisement for one of these in one of my old mags. I will copy it and send it to you.

LOL,I looked back in a search I did Tim and saw that you'd posted on this kit a few year's ago so I knew you'd appreciate it.That would be appreciated if you'd send me a copy of the orginal add,i'd really like too see it .

As far as putting the kit on the BR I'm just gonna put it on the shelf and look at it for awhile,like I said if I was gonna keep the '83 BR than I'd already have the kit in there but this is obviously something any of us don't find every day so on the shelf it goes.

MonroeMike
04-05-2010, 09:23 AM
What a rare, interesting item.

I'd keep it.

fabiodriven
04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
That thing is cool for sure. No high range though? That seems like a really big sacrifice.

atc350xer
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Can't someone around here reverse engineer it? Copy and produce a set and keep the originals on a box. Then you can have your cake and eat it too :)

racer....X
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
My little brother said he wished he could find one for his 83. I told him I never heard of one.Great now I have to go tell him he was right!

Dirtcrasher
04-06-2010, 12:54 AM
NICE FIND!!

The sprockets are chicken..... It's that splined inner portion that would be tough for an average guy to deal with....

But, some other splines probably fit, then you just weld the sprocket on in a lathe indicated in....

Plenty of work, but if you guys wanted it done, it could be.

More importantly, it's just a SUPER RARE piece!! Thanks for sharing!!

To me, mint rare NOS parts on a shelf are what they are. They're something to show a friend, otherwise it just lives it's life as it did from day 1.

I like to use my parts, but thats just me....I do have some rare NOS parts, I'm just saving them and waiting to sell them.

Once I can't get ATC parts, I'll chop up a quad and make one; Thats where were headed in this anti trike world, sadly.......

sandpuppi101
04-06-2010, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=Dirtcrasher;858791]NICE FIND!!

The sprockets are chicken..... It's that splined inner portion that would be tough for an average guy to deal with....

But, some other splines probably fit, then you just weld the sprocket on in a lathe indicated in....

Plenty of work, but if you guys wanted it done, it could be.

More importantly, it's just a SUPER RARE piece!! Thanks for sharing!!

Yeah I think your right DC on using some sort of a existing sleeved gear and welding already fabricated sprocket's to the gear,using alredy existing part's would be the way to go.It just look's like a smaller version of a PTO shaft really.I'm not saying it would be an easy deal but I could see it being fabricated with a few changes of course for pending any copyrite or anything.

wheeler feeler
04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
i'd say you should bring it to a nos, oem, aftermarket poker game and we can play for it!

AutoXer
04-06-2010, 10:53 AM
very cool piece I would do as you are and put it on the shelf until the time is right and you have a br that you are going to hold on to

3wheeling4life
04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow lucky guy.. I also have been looking for one of these for many years for my 1982 big red.. I have been babying this machine, it's a keeper... all it needs now is reverse.. Once the novelty wears off, if it does, cause I know you're happy with the find which is awesome, if you choose not to use it I would be so grateful to purchase this from you and give it a lifelong happy home..... thanks

thestud25
04-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Is there anyway you could reproduce or machine kits now that you have a prototype???

sandpuppi101
04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Is there anyway you could reproduce or machine kits now that you have a prototype???

I'll tell you what guy's ,Let's just say that I'm gonna look into my option's on fabrication..

nicknewell123
11-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I would love to buy the kit from you!! I'v been looking for one for a while now.. Let me know how much you would be willing to let it go for, you can call, tex 402 616 5924 nick or email me: shaylaa7x@aol.com THANKS!!!!

aldochina
11-12-2010, 01:35 AM
cant believe i missed this thread, never new they made it, it was obviously geared to the farmer, who would really benifit from the reverse, and wouldnt really be bothered by the lack of high range. I think for the guy who does some trail riding it would not be worth the sacrifice of the high range. Awsome find none the less.

Xpress
11-12-2010, 01:46 AM
Very nice find. LOL can you imagine a 5 speed reverse?!?! :lol: :lol: :Bounce YAMAHONDAMAN

I would love to buy the kit from you!! I'v been looking for one for a while now.. Let me know how much you would be willing to let it go for, you can call, tex 402 616 5924 nick or email me: shaylaa7x@aol.com THANKS!!!!

I firmly believe he isn't going to let this one go ;)

sandpuppi101
11-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Thank's for the interest but I am gonna hold on to the kit for a rainy day,actually I have it just sitting on a shelf in my office and I like to take it out and look at it every once in awhile along with the rest of my rare collectable's.I was oh so close to putting it on an '83 BR I had a few month's back just too see how it would work but I already saw it in action back in the 80's on my buddie's BR he had ,and yepper's it had 5 speed's going backward's.Maybe one day i'll get rid of it but I looked for year's to find one and I enjoy the fact that I have such a rare item.I mean you honestly can't really blame me can you..

hawaiirider
02-09-2015, 09:00 PM
correct me if wrong but couldnt a small rear sprocket offset the gearing enough to make it like high range? i get the idea of how the chain works seems like maybe on of the old gears in the sub trans that slides could be used as the slider with the sprocket welded to it? im sure its super low demand seeing they only made this bike a couple years, but man reverse would be nice!

oscarmayer
02-10-2015, 11:24 AM
i have been toyign with the idea of putting a 200ES sub treans on the 200E. not sure if it will fit, but I have both makes and woudl not be a big deal to test it. if it works, then i woudl have all hi/lo and rev. on the chain drive. we will chekc it out and let you guys know if this will work or not when we get to that point on the 200e redo.

hawaiirider
02-10-2015, 08:23 PM
sounds like a plan

kaymo
02-10-2015, 11:53 PM
it wouldnt be that hard to do, just buy two sprockets and some chain at tractor supply, pull those gears out, bore out/cut each down to fit together and weld, re-install with chain. high becomes reverse. would be totally worth it for many trikes that were just ute duty! may pull one apart to look at...

thcowboy
02-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Yeah,I bet you'd like to see if it work's,LOL.. Is your 200 a regular 200 or a Big Red 200E,if it's the 200E Big Red slap up a pic of it,I think that the color scheme on that '82 is the nicest of all the Big Red's.I also like the 200 models . i have a 1982 big red 200e :rolleyes:

hawaiirider
02-26-2015, 04:44 PM
what about the 1984 big reds reverse box? i had a 84 cant remember what it looked like, i remember it being shaft driven for sure though. can the box be retrofit easily?

honda4h
03-01-2015, 01:31 AM
i remember a guy back in the day i rode with he had a 200e with the kit. crazy bugger can go the same speed in reverse as forward. he sit on the bike backwards reaching back with gas and give it. i never thought anything about it until years later. that it was aftermarket

MrConcdid
04-15-2020, 02:21 PM
I brought this to the front of the list to educate those who didn't know.

I also just bought a bike that has this kit in it. It failed ( the chain broke, busted the sub trans housing) I wonder would anyone be interested in using my sprockets to make a template or some way to cast new
sprockets or CNC and re make this kit using common chain? You can see the pics of the kit and special stickers it came with for the tank and sub tans case. on the last page of my thread " Who here flips Trikes"

Just thinking out loud
MrC.

wallydiver
04-06-2022, 08:05 AM
I brought this to the front of the list to educate those who didn't know.

I also just bought a bike that has this kit in it. It failed ( the chain broke, busted the sub trans housing) I wonder would anyone be interested in using my sprockets to make a template or some way to cast new
sprockets or CNC and re make this kit using common chain? You can see the pics of the kit and special stickers it came with for the tank and sub tans case. on the last page of my thread " Who here flips Trikes"

Just thinking out loud
MrC.

I'm embarking on the production of one of these units for my '82. I am curious if you still have this, if you know what size the chain is? I am going to have to get pretty crafty with the gear production to keep the budget in check.

MrConcdid
04-06-2022, 10:46 AM
I ha e the gears somewhere, I do not know what size the chain is, you can find complete kits on ebay from time to time

ATC King
04-06-2022, 11:52 AM
I am going to have to get pretty crafty with the gear production to keep the budget in check.

Grinding down the original gears and welding modified sprockets to? That kind of crafty?

In what little actual user reviews can be found online, it seems like the failure point of the kit is the chain. That could possibly be remedied with a high quality, specially treated chain the has decreased wear and higher strength, also known as expensive. Unless such a thing already exists and can be bought by the foot. Then still, it'll be expensive.

That type of chain would have all the parts treated before assembly. Maybe there's something like it in the aerospace industry or NASA already has a roll of it laying around from the Apollo missions.

I joke, but I've bought something similar that was special made on a small scale. That typically requires a group buy to make costs anywhere near reasonable.

The other option would be to build the kit using a Hy-Vo chain. Design it in CAD or other software and outsource the construction. Still, it's going to cost more than bellybutton lint.

Good luck.

kb0nly
04-25-2022, 11:02 PM
Doesn't these reverse kits replace the low range option with reverse? I see everyone saying it would remove the high range but that don't sound right because i rode one with this kit in it and it sure didn't feel like it was in low range going forward.