PDA

View Full Version : 250sx simple job to nightmare output shaft

m brater
04-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I thought I had an easy way to remove broken drive shaft from the top by taking the 90 degree output shaft out w/ the three bolts.Now it seems impossible to get the gears in there lined back up to go in there. I'm freakin out,now I may have to tear the whole engine and trans totally apart! Anyone ever take an output shaft and get it back in?

m brater
04-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Anybody ever take an output shaft out from the outside and get it back in? thanks for any help

jeswinehart
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM
If nobody else is going to say it, okay.
Got bad news for you Mike. You will need to split the cases to get that all back together properly.

john

jeswinehart
04-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Well, there might be a chance ( ???) you can get it back together.
Ya may want to read this ~ http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?92552-1987-250sx-problems&highlight=driveshaft+removal

john

m brater
04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Man that sucks bad,I was afraid of that. Will I have to tear the whole top end down and remove the engine too?

Thorpe
04-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I would start kissing DC's butt and see if he can talk you through it!

m brater
04-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Man I'm down and depressed,that was a bad choice I made.

Woodsrider
04-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah...I gotta say...DC explained the procedure to me...and I tried for hours with the motor on it's side on the bench....and I mean for hours. I never got it to work...I just got fed up and decided to take everything apart and start from scratch. I was able to get it in all but the last 3/8 of an inch....and I was scared of damaging something if I used the 3 bolts to draw it the rest of the way, so I tore it apart. My hat's off to DC for doing it though ! I just don't have his skills.

m brater
04-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I followed the link to DC's info very good,he must be a trike wizard. What I don't understand is he said take off the right side plate and kick start. Then lean trike on right side? Also how are you able to stack the gears if there way in there and line up oil holes?Where do you fish out the extra parts from? If only I had x-ray vision and could move the gears into place with my mind,then it would be easy and fun.

Woodsrider
04-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't think the gears can really get out of position very far...they certainly can't get switched around. If you remove the kicker shaft ,then you can get a finger in there...or a light. I believe the only thing to worry about getting out of position is the last thrust washer(it would be last thing on the countershaft just inside the right side case). Mine had fallen and I was able to fish it out with a little magnet thingy on a telescopic rod....and then place it back in place through where I removed the kicker shaft. I just couldn't get my countershaft to enter all the way and I was scared to force it too much....so after trying about 15 times...I gave up and just tore it apart.

Woodsrider
04-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Also...I found it really useful to have the page printed from the manual that shows all the tranny components in their correct order...right in front of me on the bench.

m brater
04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Did you take off the right side engine plate? How did the kicker shaft come out?