PDA

View Full Version : 1983 250r...what upgrades for more power?

Flying-Zombie
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
First off I grew up on a 200s, and always wanted a 250r, and am new to them. I recently bought a 83 250R and after 5-6 rides I burned up the piston. I took it to a good mechanic and he bored it 80 over and put in new weisco piston/rings, and went through the carb to ensure proper jetting. It has a dg exhaust, a UNI air filter, and Keihem carb. I can would like to do some mods to it to get a little more umph(not that it really needs it). I am wondering what bolt-on or simple mods I can do to get a little more all around power. Any advice or tips would be much much appreciated. :beer:beer

SYKO
04-03-2010, 05:00 PM
PORTING! bigger carb (if you dont allready have one) better reeds, then if none of that satisfies your greed then big bore kits also goto the jemco website and get a pipe from them, hands down the sickest pipe for the air cooled R any where! and their hand made!

edit: well ok I went a bit overboard... you said simple stuff you can do... well the jemco pipe is one the bigger carb and reeds is another, port work...not so much lol. Also make sure your clutch and sprokets and chain and tires are all A-OK otherwise you will be loosing power becouse of stuff being worn and slipping.

Flying-Zombie
04-03-2010, 07:18 PM
PORTING! bigger carb (if you dont allready have one) better reeds, then if none of that satisfies your greed then big bore kits also goto the jemco website and get a pipe from them, hands down the sickest pipe for the air cooled R any where! and their hand made!

edit: well ok I went a bit overboard... you said simple stuff you can do... well the jemco pipe is one the bigger carb and reeds is another, port work...not so much lol. Also make sure your clutch and sprokets and chain and tires are all A-OK otherwise you will be loosing power becouse of stuff being worn and slipping.

I appreciate the reply, but I have a couple questions. What is a good carb and reeds to upgrade to? And what does a big bore and port job involve?

The sprockets, chain, axel bearings, and tires were all replaced at the same time as the piston.

RodKnockRacing
04-03-2010, 07:40 PM
may i ask why .080 over was the cylinder that bad but anyway find your self an 85 250R carb and as for bigbore Hondaline 300R kit they are very hard to find but you may see one on ebay from time to time

3wheelmecca
04-03-2010, 07:53 PM
FMF makes good reeds, Boyesen is my pick. I ran those in my aircooled CR250 and CR480. I would go to a Keihin PJ unless thats what you have. I agree with SYKO, chek the drivetrain and final drive. chain whip can kill rear wheel HP.

Flying-Zombie
04-03-2010, 09:45 PM
may i ask why .080 over was the cylinder that bad but anyway find your self an 85 250R carb and as for bigbore Hondaline 300R kit they are very hard to find but you may see one on ebay from time to time

One side of the rings were damaged and the walls were scratched. I know it was bored over when I bought it. Mechanic told me this is the next step and last bore I will be able to do, so I will need to sleeve it next time. He did say that it was 80 or 100 over, he couldn't find his chart to tell exactly.... I am assuming that if I need to re-sleeve it in the future that I should look into a big bore kit then?

SYKO
04-03-2010, 10:55 PM
yea get ahold of atc-eric here on the boards he has the hookup with the big bore kits for those trikes, the 300 hondaline kits are nice but hard to come by any more.

3wheelmecca
04-03-2010, 11:10 PM
So does that guy MAKE big bore kits? That is very slick. I might look into him if I go big on my T-3.