PDA

View Full Version : 1986 350x front fender finished!

honda200x1987
04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Here is a 1986 ATC350X OEM front fender that I have restored. There is no amourall or anything on this fender. I wet sanded then polished it up with synthetic wool. It has new grommets and sticker and OEM honda with the part number stamped underneath, turned out pretty nice, not perfect but very close,nice and shiny!

yooperman
04-01-2010, 02:05 PM
turned out awsome man nice work

Beerside
04-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Very impressive!!

userj8670
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
what can you do for an oem fender for a 350x thats still somewhat shiney but has been used for riding. No lacerations (lol) but a few scratches and normal scuffs. You have me really tempted...

honda200x1987
04-01-2010, 10:30 PM
USE a 2000 grit wet sand and try to get most or all scuffs out with that. Then a dry buff with synthetic wool. This is the only way to remove scratches and scuffs.

mdunn
04-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Looks awesome! I have a question...what is synthetic wool? Where do you buy it? Thanks for the help!

aldochina
04-01-2010, 11:58 PM
where do you get the synthetic wool?

KASEY
04-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Synthetic sheep?

honda200x1987
04-02-2010, 12:26 AM
It is a 10" synthetic lambs wool bonnet, I use a 10 inch random orbital buffer made by Performance Tool. I got mine at O'reily's Auto Parts. You might be able to order it online at perormance tool,ebay etc , i'm not sure.

johnspee5
04-02-2010, 01:44 AM
It sure looks nice. Great job. How long were you buffing on that thing. You said it was done with a dry pad? No compounds? The reason I ask is I have done hundreds of hour of wet sanding and buffing over the years being a car painter. I know 2000 is a easy grit to buff out again, but dry? interesting. Well it sure looks nice and again nice work.

MonroeMike
04-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Very nice restore.

honda200x1987
04-02-2010, 12:25 PM
As you know fenders are made of Polypropylene which can be polished to a deep mirror shine. The plastic is very very easy to scratch unlike clear coat. It is very difficult to find the "proper" compound to polish this plastic, most can damage , dull or add more scratches to the finish and I have been doing alot of testing. Have you ever heard of anyone using a Blue Rouge? It's a jewler's rouge, this is suppose to make plastic look like glass and I will be giving it a try. I can see how you can be sceptical abut this "dry buff" . The synthetic wool brings a super shiny finish but there are super super fine swirls that you can only see in the reflection of the sunlight. It is really not noticeable , as you can see in the pictures the fender looks very close to mint. I am working on making perfect finish to NOS and I beleive the rouge will be the key. The synthetic wool works well enough , I would rate this fender on a scale of 1-10 and 10 being a perfect nos fender, 9

johnspee5
04-16-2010, 01:52 AM
I have a synth wool pad and gave it a whirl myself. I'll be damned it works pretty well. I had no idea. I do have a product I use called fire glaze that is real nice for the final step and might help you with those super light swirls you are talking about. You can find the stuff on the internet. I promise if you get a bottle of it you will be impressed. I have had a lot of people that have become addicted to using the stuff on their cars and bikes after I turned them on to it. Any way it looks like you have it all under control so thanks for the tip about the wool pad and let me know how the Blue Rouge works for ya.
Johnson

petesatc
04-16-2010, 12:04 PM
synthetic sheep?

hehehe lol

honda200x1987
04-16-2010, 08:31 PM
I have a synth wool pad and gave it a whirl myself. I'll be damned it works pretty well. I had no idea. I do have a product I use called fire glaze that is real nice for the final step and might help you with those super light swirls you are talking about. You can find the stuff on the internet. I promise if you get a bottle of it you will be impressed. I have had a lot of people that have become addicted to using the stuff on their cars and bikes after I turned them on to it. Any way it looks like you have it all under control so thanks for the tip about the wool pad and let me know how the Blue Rouge works for ya.
Johnson

Glad to see someone finally use this method. I will let you know how the rouge works out, Mike at VMS says the key to the final step is using the right polish. I am eager to find out which polish he is talking about.

Darius1502
03-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Any updates on what this polish is?

ps2fixer
03-11-2013, 02:50 AM
Very interesting stuff here O.o Could use this method to clean up fair looking plastics to really shine and make a machine sell much better, or just make your own machine look pretty again :D.

Just bought some of the supplies on ebay :) Got to give it a shot on my 350x rear fenders :D.

EDIT:

Holy crap this is an old thread O.o

Darius1502
03-11-2013, 03:10 AM
Dude...that's crazy...going tomorrow to try it on my 350 X as well.

An old thread but a darn good one!!

Very interesting stuff here O.o Could use this method to clean up fair looking plastics to really shine and make a machine sell much better, or just make your own machine look pretty again :D.

Just bought some of the supplies on ebay :) Got to give it a shot on my 350x rear fenders :D.

EDIT:

Holy crap this is an old thread O.o

ps2fixer
03-11-2013, 05:19 AM
I think I will need to add a "tips" section on my interchange site for stuff like this ^.^

newby200x
03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
I tried some stuff called New Glass 2 this weekend on my 200x front fender. I wet sanded and buffed this fender for countless hours and hours just to make more and more frustrated with it. I could never get all the grit marks sanded out from the 180 grit I started with. I had a friend show me this miracle liquid though and was very impressed. It's not like armor all, its almost as if you are putting a clear coat on for plastics. The more coats the shinier it gets. And the best part is that it almost filled in all the 180 grit marks I had left.

Darius1502
03-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Does it stay on? Where did you get it?

newby200x
03-11-2013, 04:53 PM
First time using it so I don't know long term results, but supposedly it is not supposed to wear off. You can google New Glass 2 and find it, you can also buy it on their website.