PDA

View Full Version : 1983 ATC 200 smoking when muffler put back on

86trizinger
03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
I have been trying to get this 1983 ATC 200 up and running for my father.

At firs it was fouling plugs when the muffler was off but no smoke at all..
Found out the coil was bad so I put a pit bike one on it temporarily. That and a plug change. put the muffler back on. Then it started to smoke. White smoke but a lot of it.

I thinking the muffler is clogged.
Should I just take it off for now or what>?
If I can't get this figured out soon I may just part it out because I really don't want to put too much money into this.

Yamaha_Rules69
03-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Possibly it has a mouse nest clogging the muffler? Have you tried to put you hand behind it, and feel whether or not it has sufficient exhaust flow? If you think it is partially clogged, take it off and try to blow it out with compressed air. You could also try to shove whatever is in it out with a wire coat hanger. On my 200s, it was clogged so bad from years of mouse nesting that I had to cut it in half with a hack saw, get all the crap out, and have it welded back together. It works perfectly now. Mine would not run at all with the muffler on, and when I took it off, it fired right up. Good luck!

3wheelmecca
03-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Either mouse nests or oil( blue to white smoke). I had 8 mice in the Airbox of my 185S when I bought it. They just love 3 wheelers and old Fords.

fabiodriven
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
What does the smoke smell like? Is it just steam from water that may be trapped in the muffler? If so, just run it until it all burns off.

86trizinger
03-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I pushed a metal rod partially into the muffler but the pipe bends quite a bit so I could only go so far. Got a little better but fouled another plug. I will take it off again this weekend and see what happens with no muffler again.

Exhaust doesn't smell much like anything really. No blue smoke at all..

trikes4life
03-30-2010, 09:42 PM
i had a squirl in my 82 200 air box when i got it

86trizinger
03-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Air box is all clean with brand new UNI filer.. Muffler is very old though. Didn't see anything in it when it was off. Could be clogged with oil.

fabiodriven
03-30-2010, 09:59 PM
If it doesn't smell like anything it's probably water cooking off in the muffler. Keep running it and burn it off. Your plug fouling is something else.

3wheelmecca
03-30-2010, 10:14 PM
i had a squirl in my 82 200 air box when i got it
LMAO LOL, I found a squirrel in the air cleaner housing of my 77 Dodge Van that hasnt run in 20 years.
I always wonder how they got in....
My friend freaked when we found the mice, so I threw them in my little ditch, and they swam. Skilled mice, I tell you what. Some are still living in an industrial gas filter in my pickup truck.

86trizinger
03-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Muffler was clogged need a new or need to make a new one. I have a Vance and Hines pipe that was on my 300ex.. But man is that thing loud.

big danno
03-31-2010, 11:52 PM
build a fire and put the muffler in it and let bake for a couple of hours, remove and let cool, sand it and paint it.We do this all the time in the snowmobile world as mice just love to pack those mufflers with sh!t and it has saved many a muffler.

big danno
03-31-2010, 11:54 PM
I should mention not too hot of a fire as it could distort the steel.

86trizinger
04-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Pipe was modified with a 300ex pipe.. Along with the Vance and Hines muffler..

It definitely helped on the top end alot, but still needs adjusted down low. I will get pics of the final install this weekend. Still have to make a rear tab to hang the muffler from.