PDA

View Full Version : is it a bad idea to....

aldochina
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
flush my rear diff with regular motor oil 2 to 3x before i put the hypoid in??

landrover4wd
03-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I think it might be a bad idea. Maybe you should just flush it with the hypoid gear oil.

8586bigred
03-30-2010, 07:43 PM
I flush mine with diesel fuel or kerosene. then refill with fluid. when i had it on the bench and off the bike, i flushed it with varsal (parts cleaner)

tri again
03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
flush my rear diff with regular motor oil 2 to 3x before i put the hypoid in??

What year is it?

The 85 and on hold 3 oz THREE of 80wt according to the manual. and one oz looks like its full.

That stupid 6mm stud drainbolt with the 10mm head doesn't do it for me conceptually so next time I'll just do it a wheelie and let it throw up that a way. out thru the fill hole

Havent had one apart yet thank god, but what could motor oil hurt>??

10 40 is commonly used in manual car transmixers these days.

Hypoid is a term for the rubbing of the ring and pinion type gears that essentiially rub against each other and there are 4 or 5 different classifications of slipperieness for hypoid oil

I dont know but I'm paranoid so I just change it all the time.

front wheel on the tailgate, 17mm wrench for the fill plug, let it throw up and then I feel better .

Wonder if theres a way to jam an old speaker magnet near the fill hole to attract metal.

I have one on my canister oil filter on my 1947 tractor.
The curve is the same and makes ME feel better but prob does nothing significant.

btw, that fill plug torque is very little, like 7-10 ft lbs.

I have 2 fill caps that have separated

THE worst thing, other than making the engine oil filters fit more than one way was to call those differentials maintain free.

The last 2 i bought had less than an ounce of oil in them.

aldochina
03-30-2010, 07:55 PM
the reason i ask, is i have just the diff. at work, and there is no gear oil around. I dont want to use anything that would deteriorate the seals.

tri again
03-30-2010, 08:04 PM
the reason i ask, is i have just the diff. at work, and there is no gear oil around. I dont want to use anything that would deteriorate the seals.

oooooh GOOD point.

all the cleaners and solvents I see and use all caution about toxicity to rubber..even pbblaster but it supposedly evaporates fast enuf to Not harm seals.

heck, after reading the labels, I put my carbs in hot water and blew thru the jets and passages with a mouth pressure and fuel line.

Man, they dried quick since they were hot.

good call on the seal question, btw

I should go read my brakeclean can again.
now you got me thinkin'

cattle-dog
03-30-2010, 08:23 PM
a regular oil should not hurt anything use a nondetergent oil if you are worried there are seals in all car and motorcycles doesnt hurt them.