PDA

View Full Version : Hill climb anxiety?

tundrawolf
03-30-2010, 12:21 AM
So far I have tackled a lot of pretty gnarly hill climbs here in the high desert. On a somewhat recent one, the ATC fell on my foot and bent 3 of my toes back far enough to cause a severe limp for about 3 days. Now, when I approach a hillclimb, even a short one, I sort of freak out. I lean forward and it is still scary. I try to stand on the back fenders and that just doesn't work out at all. Is it just me? I know I'll get over it eventually, but dang. It sucks when I approach a climb then wimp out. The first day I took the machine out I ended up having it wheelie and fall on top of me on a hill climb.

dajeepman
03-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Well i rather flip in sand than hard pack dirt any day.

tundrawolf
03-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Well i rather flip in sand than hard pack dirt any day.

I also have a large, jagged rock factor, too.

p26575r16
03-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident. Don't feel bad about being intimidated, when I broke my back a few years ago on a dirt bike I was determined to ride again. I can tell you that the first few times after a wreck you will be anxious. I don't think I got my 350x out of 3rd gear for a month after I could ride again. It takes time but eventually you'll get your confidence back (and hopefully some sense).

300rman
03-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Man, as long as i can still move after a wreck, im picking the thing up and attempting to keep riding, hoping that the effort wont be halted by discovering a broken bone 100 yards up the trail!

Autophysn
03-30-2010, 04:38 AM
nerf bars dude

NotStock
03-30-2010, 04:46 AM
I have the same issue. On a ride with a buddy last weekend, heading down a 4x4 trail. Came to a creek the direction we were heading was the same as the trucks, so the other side was wet and torn up pretty good. I made it about 3/4 up the other side with the tires spinning and it was slowing down so got on the throttel more, tires grabed and i flipped it backward down the hill. I walked away with cuts and bruises, bent my handle bars and shifter. I made it on my 2nd try but know im a little tense when i comes hills.

Xhumeka
03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Once gimped, twice shy!

3wheelmecca
03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
just take it in moderation. I broke both my arms on a trike. I just took babay steps over a couple years, and now I am trying new things I have never done before! Its just the mental factor, it kills us every time.

Grizzlypeg
03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
What's the best body position for hill climbing?

atc350xer
03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
What's the best body position for hill climbing?

Standing off to the side watching some young fool do it :lol:

dirtbiken
03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Man hit the trottle and go, stand up lean over the handle bars and you should do fine.

fabiodriven
03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
All it takes is practice. You have to control the machine, don't let it control you. There are times when the machine will not allow you to control it, but hopefully that won't happen too much.

The best position for climbing hills depends on the particular situation. You obviously want to keep your weight forward but you have to remember that the farther you lean forward, the less traction the rear wheels will have. It's up to you to decide whether or not you need traction on the back wheels to move forward, traction on the front to steer, or weight on the front to keep the front tire down. It's all up to you.

trikes4life
03-30-2010, 11:21 AM
I love hill climbs, but i have wrecked my fair share of bikes. I have done some crazy hill climbs, but i have my fair share of bails.