PDA

View Full Version : 350x jetting driving me CRAZY!!!

HRC1
03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Alright, i've searched everywhere, and i've had the carb off 900 times so far, so i'm gonna ask. 86' 350x, with uni and DG xccelerator fill reverse megaphone exhaust. When i got the bike it was hard to start. It had a 140 main, stock pilot and the needle all the way down. The plug was white/grey. I tried a 142 and that was too fat, or so it seemed. I've tried needle up, down, sideways, messing with the fuel screw, everything, No, it doesen't have a vaccum leak. Currently it is back to where i got it and it wont frickin start now... Any help woule be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

tri again
03-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Alright, i've searched everywhere, and i've had the carb off 900 times so far, so i'm gonna ask. 86' 350x, with uni and DG xccelerator fill reverse megaphone exhaust. When i got the bike it was hard to start. It had a 140 The main, stock pilot and the needle all the way down. The plug was white/grey. I tried a 142 and that was too fat, or so it seemed. I've tried needle up, down, sideways, messing with the fuel screw, everything, No, it doesen't have a vaccum leak. Currently it is back to where i got it and it wont frickin start now... Any help woule be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

I've got 2 carbs in my kitchen right now..gf outta town.

one worked and one doesnt..new jets in both

Mouth blowing air w/ clear fuelline thru each individual jet under water , one threw bubbles in 3 places, the other only one.

pulled the jets, went outside with carb cleaner and that little straw, psssht and then to the air compressor.

The dips....t carb hawked a lugie and now they both blow bubbles all over the place.

new clean jets mean NOthing to me after that freakshow

and my kitchen smells like a chemical waste dump

better fry some liver and onions so I dont get busted

I also made an IV bottle looking thing from an old contoured coke bottle and hang that like a life support hospital show MASH unit thing so I KNOW it has clean gas

boosted96cobra
03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Your issue is starting only? Airbox lid on or off?

HRC1
03-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Issue right now is starting, once it's running it's a whole diff story. It's had flat spots all over the place before. Last time i rode it, last fall, it was acting like it was running out of gas till it warmed up. And it ran better with the choke on telling me it was lean. Just checked the jets, the pilot was plugged. Now it has a brand new 42 pilot in it, 140 main, needle all the way down and i just kicked till i had to stop or i'd pass out. Still wont start, mix screw is 1.5 turns out. I'd go raise the needle but i know that shouldnt help it start better... Maybe the idle screw? I might pull it behind my truck here in a min to see if i can get it running...

HRC1
03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
lid is on.

Thorpe
03-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Time for a fresh spark plug.... All those jetting issues, I would buy a case of them.

CRAZY70MAN
03-29-2010, 07:07 PM
same here.....my 85 has DG and 38mm Mikuni. I am all over the place as it had a K&N filter. I have since switched back to stock airbox with a #30 slow jet and it is getting close??? Been through 6 or 7 jet combos so far.....just need a little patience there bro............ohhhhhhh ya ya need a little patience........lol hope to get mine dialed in for the trails....good luck..

HRC1
03-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Ok, plug was shot, Tried another new NGK i had laying around and that barely sparked, tried another used ngk and that one sparked. Not verry bright but it fired. played around with the fuel screw some and it's still kinda sluggish feeling on the low end. Haven't tried to start it since but if it acts like usual it will be finicky and not want to start. So far i'm 42(stock) pilot, 140 main, needle all the way down and fel screw 1.5 turns out. I'll mess with it more this week and let you guys know what i find. This has to be the hardest starting bike i've ever owned by far...

HRC1
03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Seems to be ok now, started right up after 3 kicks this afternoon... @ kicks when warm. Still have to mess around with the fuel screw and see what happens there. Kinda soft feeling on the low end still but at least it runs, lol. Anybody have a good alternative to NGK's? I've burned through so many of them over the years i should have bought stock in the company ...

Thorpe
03-30-2010, 10:59 PM
I love NGKs myself... I usually only burn them up when jetting is too far out to lunch... NEEDLE ALL THE WAY DOWN??? Thats as lean as you can get in the mid range circuit of the carb! Raise the needle 1 notch from stock (stock being center I believe)

camoweasel
03-31-2010, 06:45 AM
this sounds like the same problem i had with my old 200x. I would bet that the little brass bushing (needle holder) the needle slides up and down in is worn out and is screwing up your jetting. Once mine was replaced, it fixed about 1 years worth of jetting troubles in an instant.

whyzee
03-31-2010, 08:16 AM
silly question but are you guys getting the piston at TDC of the compression stroke before you even kick it the first time? I've watched guys kick the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of thier machines for 5 mins, only to walk over and fire it up on the 2nd kick. it's all about TDC on the compression stroke for starting.

HRC1
03-31-2010, 09:24 PM
i tried mesing with the needlw up from here a few years back and it ran like a dog. This is a diff carb body then the one it had on it then so maybe i'll try it this weekend and see what happens. It doesen't act lean though... If i turn the choke on and run it like normal it doesen't act hardly any different than whith it off. It almost acts fat... Not sure how that can be as it's only one jet size up from stock... Messing with the fuel screw really doesen't have much affect either. I'll know whats up this weekend hopefully.