PDA

View Full Version : Eletrical kill option/quistion

jeswinehart
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Okay you eletrical guru's, how hard on my c.d.i. and or any other eletrical componets will it be if I run a kill wire (ground wire) to my spark plug and kill my motor that way ??? Any harm, no harm or WHO the heck knows just do it.
This is on my Tecate with its LOVELY magneto system.

john

bigworm626
03-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Contact vealmonkey, he knows everything & anything!!! The man, the myth, the legend.

Vealmonkey
03-29-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't know anything about those fussy green beasties! LOL

DixiePlowboy
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Okay you eletrical guru's, how hard on my c.d.i. and or any other eletrical componets will it be if I run a kill wire (ground wire) to my spark plug and kill my motor that way ??? Any harm, no harm or WHO the heck knows just do it.
john

I can't say that it would definitely harm anything(so I guess my reply is really useless....lol), but I admit I am curious why you would want to kill it that way.

A ground wire after the coil would, seems to me, deliver quite a jolt if anyone were touching metal on the machine when it was killed out that way. Is this like a big "Joy Buzzer" gag?:)

jeswinehart
03-29-2010, 04:06 PM
LOL, joy buzzer :)
Okay, what I run into guys is the eletric shift I put on my trike, the gizzmo that is supoosed to kill the motor for a split secound and shift at the same time, well,,, it shifts but don't kill the motor.
I eliminated it and put on a handle bar mount push button kill switch and wired it into the O.E.M. kill switch and it will shift great once and then leaves the selinoid engergized.
I am thinking the way I have it now that it is backfeeding power to the selinoid.
So that is why I am thinking to simple thinks up, just run a kill wire to the plug since I am making/breaking connection on the negitive side of the wiring anyway.
the hot lead from battery is fused close to the battery, then to a toggle switch.
I will tell you what, the one time you have to operate the shifter convinced me this is the way i want to go for straight line drags.
C/mon Vealmonkey what do ya say, possble to take out the c.d.i. ???

tri again
03-29-2010, 05:08 PM
LOL, joy buzzer :)
Okay, what I run into guys is the eletric shift I put on my trike, the gizzmo that is supoosed to kill the motor for a split secound and shift at the same time, well,,, it shifts but don't kill the motor.
I eliminated it and put on a handle bar mount push button kill switch and wired it into the O.E.M. kill switch and it will shift great once and then leaves the selinoid engergized.
I am thinking the way I have it now that it is backfeeding power to the selinoid.
So that is why I am thinking to simple thinks up, just run a kill wire to the plug since I am making/breaking connection on the negitive side of the wiring anyway.
the hot lead from battery is fused close to the battery, then to a toggle switch.
I will tell you what, the one time you have to operate the shifter convinced me this is the way i want to go for straight line drags.
C/mon Vealmonkey what do ya say, possble to take out the c.d.i. ???

as i recall in my estute grasp of the obvious, and trying to get a sparkNOspark 200es figured out.....

there is a ground to the cdi that it Needs to run and another ground to the cdi that kills it in addition to a few other kill circuits from various places that simply go to ground.

I really like the momentary ignition killerwhen shifting.
Didnt vw do something liek that on their clutchless stickshifter on some bugs in the 70's?

Wonder who thought of that?

and what the committee of 12 that agreed with them, had for lunch that day.

THE thing we get warned about if causing spark with no ground for the plug.

like if you pull the plug to check for spark and the plug slips down and is NOT grounded, they say it can fry something electrical since the current has no place to go.

so on that note,,,it better to ground the sparking current circuit than to interrupt it to open air?

but then again , if I know what I was talking about, the 200es would be running.

jeswinehart
04-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I ended up playing it safe and tapped into the kill switch wiring.
Used a couple of starter relays to operate together off the handle bar push button. One for engine kill and the other for the shifter solenoid.
Works beautifully.

john