PDA

View Full Version : 85' 250es big red.

landrover4wd
03-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Hey everyone, I just bought a 85' 250es big red on craigslist for $625 and It ran great the first day I bought it. This is my first three wheeler and I love it! Yesterday it was driving fine for a bought an hour, but then it suddenly started bogging out when I gave it gas. I got off to check if I had run out of gas, but it was half full. I than started to drive it again, but it got to a point where it wouldn't even move because of it bogging out so much. Today I changed the engine oil and gear oil and then tryed starting it, but it took about 15 minutes to start. I then tried to drive it, but it still was bogging out. Does anyone know why it is doing this? Also which way do you push the choke for it to be open or closed? When I push the choke to the left, it wont stick there. I also noticed that when I put in first gear sometimes the bike will jump forward. What would be the cause of that? I tried the kick start,but I guess it doesn't work? Is there a way to fix the kick start? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Daniel 250es
03-29-2010, 07:45 AM
choke on is to the left, I would bet it bogs because it is not getting gas, maybe rust from gas tank

cattle-dog
03-29-2010, 07:57 AM
yes check for rust but then shut the gas off undo the fuel line from the carb stick the line in a can turn the gas back on see in it flows a full line not drizzle if its drizzleing loosen the gas cap if it flows well then the vent in the cap isnt working had that happen on a few hondas , if it doesnt increase then i would bet its rust and you will need to clean and seal the tank. but if its all good then move on to cleaning the carb.

petesatc
03-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Also take the carb off and clean it .....could be something making the float valve stick

Mondexbrute
03-29-2010, 10:24 AM
clean the carb real good, & put a fuel filter on it if it doesn't already have one.

tri again
03-29-2010, 06:06 PM
I have 2 with gas caps that say on but only suck air inbetween on and off

also had a lump o' crud in the fuel strainer right under the gas on valve that would bounce around and plug the fuel line

if the gas is turned on, try res

then its off to the land of carb cleaning.

I run a foot or so of clear fuel line on any new bike I get.

Crugrust will lay in the bottom of the loop

landrover4wd
03-30-2010, 12:48 AM
yes check for rust but then shut the gas off undo the fuel line from the carb stick the line in a can turn the gas back on see in it flows a full line not drizzle if its drizzleing loosen the gas cap if it flows well then the vent in the cap isnt working had that happen on a few hondas , if it doesnt increase then i would bet its rust and you will need to clean and seal the tank. but if its all good then move on to cleaning the carb.

Hey thanks guys for the suggestions. I took the gas tank off today to check out the carb, but it looked pretty clean. I only took off the the top cover of the carb where there is 3 screws and the air filter, but both places looked clean so I assumed the rest of the carb is clean. The previous owner welded the gas tank up because it leaked from rust. The fuel lines were not clogged, but the fuel filter had reddish gas in it. I don't quit understand what the on/off switch is for on the gas cap? I do keep the switch on though. Can someone please explain? Also the choke doesn't stay in place when pushed to the left? Is it supposed to be to the left or right when driving it? Tomorrow I will try to see if the gas tank will dizzy or fully flow when I turn the gas on. Thanks

3 on the Tree
03-30-2010, 01:00 AM
The on and off switch for the gas cap is a vent used to relieve tank pressure. I usually leave mine on (open) unless I'm doing some serious hill climbing, then I turn it off to prevent spillage.

This may sound silly, but some of my trikes "run out of fuel" even with half a tank. The pick up tube for the fuel goes a good 2 to 3 inches up into the tank. If you put the pet cock on "reserve" it will draw fuel past where the pick up tube does; all the way down to the bottom of the tank. Give that a try.

I'd also suggest running an in-line fuel filter as others have stated, along with removing the bottom of the pet cock for a thorough cleaning. Rust in the tank wreaks havoc on the carburetor’s jets.

Does your choke cable move all the way to the left? Does it feel like you have to keep pressure on it to keep it from returning to the right (choke off) position? I'd suggest a healthy dose of WD-40 in the cable channel to keep it lubricated and see if it will stay choked for you after that.

Mondexbrute
03-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah do not assume! You need to remove the carb from the trike, take off the bottom bowl, take out all the jets & make sure they are not clogged! Spray carb cleaner everywhere & blow out with air hose!

Mondexbrute
03-30-2010, 11:29 AM
I also have a brand new plastic fuel tank for the Big Red 250es if you are interested!

Honda_Dude
03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Don't forget the "easy" things. Have you checked your air filter? How does it run if you hold the "choke ON (to the left). Pull the spark plug and see what it looks like...is it oil-fouled...wet??? white & dry??? That could tell ya alot before you start ripping into the carb...unless you are pretty mech. inclined. It's not hard. You may try running some carb cleaner/fuel stabilizer in your tank first....but yah any sign of rust/nasty fuel & it's time to tear into the carb..

Your choke portion at least on your carb has issues. The "jumping" in first gear (sometimes) is a sign of the idle being too high...does it always idle the same speed (when warm).....on your kickstarterr you need to give more info. other than, it doesn't work...what could be wrong........you are in NEUTRAL when you try to use it aren't you???

Oh yah, snap some pix of your new trike.... WE WANT PIX !!!!!!!!!!!!

landrover4wd
03-30-2010, 06:34 PM
The on and off switch for the gas cap is a vent used to relieve tank pressure. I usually leave mine on (open) unless I'm doing some serious hill climbing, then I turn it off to prevent spillage.

This may sound silly, but some of my trikes "run out of fuel" even with half a tank. The pick up tube for the fuel goes a good 2 to 3 inches up into the tank. If you put the pet cock on "reserve" it will draw fuel past where the pick up tube does; all the way down to the bottom of the tank. Give that a try.

I'd also suggest running an in-line fuel filter as others have stated, along with removing the bottom of the pet cock for a thorough cleaning. Rust in the tank wreaks havoc on the carburetor’s jets.

Does your choke cable move all the way to the left? Does it feel like you have to keep pressure on it to keep it from returning to the right (choke off) position? I'd suggest a healthy dose of WD-40 in the cable channel to keep it lubricated and see if it will stay choked for you after that.

I think your right. I filled it up with gas and now it runs perfect. I just thought that the reserve would drain the 2-3 inches of gas that was left. I guess my reserve is broken? Even after a bunch of WD-40 the choke still wont stay to the left without returning to the right. Thanks for the suggestion!

tri again
03-30-2010, 09:23 PM
I think your right. I filled it up with gas and now it runs perfect. I just thought that the reserve would drain the 2-3 inches of gas that was left. I guess my reserve is broken? Even after a bunch of WD-40 the choke still wont stay to the left without returning to the right. Thanks for the suggestion!

I had my tank off and cleaned and blew into the fuel valve.

psssssshhhhhht into the tank with it ON

Nothing when OFF

and NOTHING when on reserve.

I put the valve beTWEEN off and res and it blew bubbles

I cant see the year of yer bike right now but the older choke cables actually move an inch or so.

Newer than 84, that little enrichment pistonfor the choke only moves about 1/3 of an inch

landrover4wd
03-31-2010, 01:58 AM
Don't forget the "easy" things. Have you checked your air filter? How does it run if you hold the "choke ON (to the left). Pull the spark plug and see what it looks like...is it oil-fouled...wet??? white & dry??? That could tell ya alot before you start ripping into the carb...unless you are pretty mech. inclined. It's not hard. You may try running some carb cleaner/fuel stabilizer in your tank first....but yah any sign of rust/nasty fuel & it's time to tear into the carb..

Your choke portion at least on your carb has issues. The "jumping" in first gear (sometimes) is a sign of the idle being too high...does it always idle the same speed (when warm).....on your kickstarterr you need to give more info. other than, it doesn't work...what could be wrong........you are in NEUTRAL when you try to use it aren't you???

Oh yah, snap some pix of your new trike.... WE WANT PIX !!!!!!!!!!!!

The air filter is new and the spark plugs looks good, but it wont run or idle with the choke on (to the left). I do think the idle may be to high because of the jumping. I'll adjust the idle tomorrow and see if that helps. I try to start with the kick starter, when the key is turned and is in neutral. It feels like the kick starter has compression, but doesn't turn the engine over or even spark the engine. I shoot some pics tomorrow. Thanks!

landrover4wd
03-31-2010, 02:00 AM
I also have a brand new plastic fuel tank for the Big Red 250es if you are interested!

I cant afford it right now, but thanks for the offer.

ailll1
03-31-2010, 07:25 PM
your choke isnt supposed to stay on, theres a spring at the end of the cable(inside the carb) that makes it go by itself a little to the right
so its normal, just hold it with your thumb while your trying to start it

Thorpe
03-31-2010, 08:00 PM
I gotta agree with Mondex, the BR is notorious for needing a carb rebuild....

landrover4wd
04-01-2010, 08:54 PM
I turned down the idle and now it doesn't jump in to gears any more!:D

Its not pretty, but it runs great! I don't know why the previous owner hacksawed off the rear fenders.:(
Here's some pics:

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/jamesprival/001-16.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/jamesprival/002-15.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/jamesprival/003-13.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/jamesprival/004-13.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/jamesprival/005-12.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/jamesprival/006-10.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/jamesprival/007-10.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/jamesprival/008-11.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/jamesprival/009-11.jpg

ailll1
04-01-2010, 11:31 PM
damn its clean
you better watch out for mud with those fenders
if you get any sticky mud your legs gonna take it all, lol
what about the traction of those tires? you tried mudding a little?

goodgreenbandit
04-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I just got the same trike, had the some problems, like someone else said my on/off valve only vents between on and off, kinda in the middle. My kickstart also started slipping awhile after getting it, it now makes kinda of a a squeal, or a squeak when I kick it, before it brum bum bum'ed(sounded like a motor turning over). Hope all goes good for ya. Mine kinda jumped into first until I lubed the throttle cable and it throttled all the way down. Hope I'm helpin.

Wish mine looked that good!!! But then again, I got mine free!

landrover4wd
04-02-2010, 01:32 AM
damn its clean
you better watch out for mud with those fenders
if you get any sticky mud your legs gonna take it all, lol
what about the traction of those tires? you tried mudding a little?

I haven't got the chance to go mudding with it as we dont have any mud out here in SOCAL :(, but if we did I would be caked with mud! The tires do have some decent traction out on the dirt trails.

landrover4wd
04-02-2010, 01:41 AM
I just got the same trike, had the some problems, like someone else said my on/off valve only vents between on and off, kinda in the middle. My kickstart also started slipping awhile after getting it, it now makes kinda of a a squeal, or a squeak when I kick it, before it brum bum bum'ed(sounded like a motor turning over). Hope all goes good for ya. Mine kinda jumped into first until I lubed the throttle cable and it throttled all the way down. Hope I'm helpin.

Wish mine looked that good!!! But then again, I got mine free!

Yea I'm trying to work out all the minor bugs it has, but I cant expect a 25 year old trike to be perfect. My kickstart has the same brum bum sound your talking about, but its not sparking the engine. I guess i'll check it out later down the road, but for know the electric start works fine. Thats awesome u got urs for free!

dajeepman
04-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Get the fenders and gas tank fixed it will be a super clean trike.

landrover4wd
04-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Alright so I took the trike out for a ride today, but I kept hearing it backfire every time I let off the throttle. I have never heard this before today. Does anyone know why its backfiring and is it damaging the engine? Thanks!

ailll1
04-03-2010, 10:38 AM
your br is running rich
try to correct it with the air/fuel mixture screw(pilot screw in honda manual)
i dont know if you need to screw or unscrew it as i dont know if this one controls air or fuel getting in.
heres the link for the repair manual: http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/atc250es-85-87servicemanual.pdf

landrover4wd
04-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Does anyone know if there is a thread on how to hook up a oil cooler to the 250 br's ? If not what kind of oil cooler should I get and how do I install it? Pics would be great! I want my engine to be cooler on long trips. Also what are some good inexpensive power adders? Thanks!:D

landrover4wd
04-05-2010, 04:11 AM
Almost forgot what kind of paint do I use to paint the fenders and gas tank?

Daniel 250es
04-05-2010, 09:29 AM
My big red back fired every time I shut it off. I adjusted the valves and it stopped.

dirtbiken
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Is she running good for ya now?

landrover4wd
04-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Is she running good for ya now?

Not quit, Its still running a little rich. Do you think it might be because I put in the highest octane in at the gas station?

dirtbiken
04-05-2010, 04:31 PM
that probably didnt help, man there rarely is ever a need to put that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro in the gas.

daniel_250r
04-05-2010, 05:10 PM
you are missing your air box set up sir

landrover4wd
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
you are missing your air box set up sir

I know... when I get some extra $$ I'll have to buy one.

landrover4wd
04-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Does anyone know if there is a thread on how to hook up a oil cooler to the 250 br's ? If not what kind of oil cooler should I get and how do I install it? Pics would be great! I want my engine to be cooler on long trips. Also what are some good inexpensive power adders? Thanks!:D

Can someone answer this?

landrover4wd
04-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Almost forgot what kind of paint do I use to paint the fenders and gas tank?

And this too?

Thorpe
04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Your running lean with the airbox missing and that UNI filter on there. Thats probably 75% of your popping and coughing... You usually dont paint fenders, you replace them...