PDA

View Full Version : what would cause a voltage regulator to short out?

QCR77
03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
i have been trying to get the headlights on my X working for a while now. well today i tested the volts at the hot wire to the switch and it said 17 ! i know its supposed to be 13-14 so i went and checked the regulator that i bought and installed from moose racing. where the ground wire went in it was all melted and shorted out. also, a few weeks ago while trying to get them working i blew out the cdi and have since replaced it. just wonderin where you guys would go from here. im sure moose racing isnt gonna send me a new one

twitch101
03-28-2010, 05:01 PM
well when the wires burned up it means somewhere you pulled to many amps. to prevent it next time you can fuse that line. but also any water get in the regulator can cause a short.

QCR77
03-28-2010, 05:04 PM
well when the wires burned up it means somewhere you pulled to many amps. to prevent it next time you can fuse that line. but also any water get in the regulator can cause a short.

ah ha. i do tend tp spray it down vigorously. i guess i should order a new one, fuse it and seal it up. thanks for the reply

anyone confirm that i should buy the same one from moose again?

twitch101
03-28-2010, 05:07 PM
if you really wanna make it water proof. you can open it up when you get it and go buy some of the blue marine epoxy and cover the contacts and any exposed leads inside. let it harden and your ready to go. if theres a heatsink do not coat it. i do this with the recievers and servos on my rc trucks and they can be under water all day without shorting.

QCR77
03-28-2010, 05:22 PM
if you really wanna make it water proof. you can open it up when you get it and go buy some of the blue marine epoxy and cover the contacts and any exposed leads inside. let it harden and your ready to go. if theres a heatsink do not coat it. i do this with the recievers and servos on my rc trucks and they can be under water all day without shorting.

good idea. what type of fuse you recommend i put inline?

twitch101
03-28-2010, 07:13 PM
not sure. your gonna have to either find one that runs right and check the amps there or find a manual that tells you amperage through it.