PDA

View Full Version : 200es one way clutch replaced

trikeman78
03-28-2010, 09:32 AM
I had finally acquired all the parts to replace the one way clutch on my big red. New clutch drum, one way bearing, shoes and springs. It rides a world better. Very smooth take offs and shifts. I got all my parts off ebay. The drum and the bearing are the real expensive parts. All the 185's and 200's share the same one way clutch. This was a fix well worth the effort. I can answer any questions one might have about the job.

Escanabajosh
03-29-2010, 09:20 AM
just did my sx yesterday. wish i would have bought the clutch holder before i started,lol.

next on my list of tools to buy is a compresor and tools for it, i couldnt get the lock nut off without a impact. had to load it up and travel 15 minutes to my parents just for air tools. took les time to fix the dang thing then the ride out there. oh well it's fixed now.

wonderboy
03-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Is it just a given that you have to change the drum too, or only if it is damaged? How did you know your drum was bad, was it heat damage or scoring?

I'm getting ready to do repair on my 84 200ES. I'm sure the one way is shot. When I shut down the engine, sometimes you can hear something continue spinning inside for a couple seconds. I think the one-way bearing is bad and contributing to the spinning.

cox
03-29-2010, 10:00 AM
ya man ive heard that spinning sound to. what is that?

Escanabajosh
03-29-2010, 05:11 PM
a bad one way clutch makes a whirl sound when shut down. as for the drum ya just have to use a caliper to measure there is a service limit to them. cost $115 for the one way and the gasket and then 30 for the clutch holder. if ya got the right tools its a easy job to do, just cost a bunch.

trikeman78
03-30-2010, 06:39 AM
The drum had scoring in it down to the service limit. The real kicker is the one way bearing inside the drum. The is no way to remove it. When you buy a new drum you also need a new bearing. Both parts together cost around $200. I kept searching ebay till I found both for around $50. I found them in the "stores" listed under their honda part #'s. All new honda parts will cost around $350. It's expensive but well worth it.
Also you dont need a clutch holder to remove the drum. You have to remove the pull start and jam the pulley with a screwdriver or something. The only special tool is a 30mm deep socket. Dont forget to get the new gaskets and o-ring

puggerton03
03-30-2010, 08:29 AM
my 1982 atc 200 makes a whirling sound when i shut it off. and second gear and above slip with anything more that about 1/4 throttle. what parts do you think i need exactly to fix it? would like to have the parts then do it all at once. thanks.

Escanabajosh
03-30-2010, 09:26 AM
not sure on the slipping gears but the whirl should be the one-way.

as for the clutch holder,my bike is a kickstart and i was going to stick a screw driver in the gears,but then on second thought i figured the clutch holder would be cheaper then new gears.

woody
04-01-2010, 10:32 PM
My 185 project does the whirling/spinning on shutdown, I was wondering if this was normal. It runs and rides fine, but has a "clatter" sound like piston slap almost but it is definately coming from the clutch area, I listened with a piece of hose pipe. First I adjusted the valves and cam chain which didn't change the sound at all.... I suppose I need to tear into her. I'll look at the Bike Bandit parts drawings and see if I can figure out what is going on in there... Anyone know what the clacking sound is? I adjusted the clutch play nut to 1/4 turn from contact like the book says. Thanks for any info, Woody

woody
04-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Don't laugh, I honestly don't know. Is the one-way clutch supposed to free wheel when coasting? Like you have no engine brake? When you let off the gas, does it disconnect the engine from the wheels? I'm not sure I like that, is there a way to lock it up so you have engine braking going downhill? I have noticed that when downshifting the engine doesn't know it until you get back on the gas. Is this normal? I think the odd sound mine is making must be something bad in there that is not doing what it is supposed to do. Thanks again for any insight. I looked at pictures of parts but can't tell if the "bearing" is actually eccentric rollers that grab in one direction and slip in the other or not. Woody

Escanabajosh
04-01-2010, 11:46 PM
what year 185?

Escanabajosh
04-01-2010, 11:53 PM
i looked up for a 1983 185s, click transmision and then click on one way clutch, it's number 14. bikebandit part # 242508-001 cost $105.

fixing it will help with going down hills from what i've read, i just fixed mine and havent rode it too much.

Escanabajosh
04-01-2010, 11:54 PM
when i took the side cover off the drum would spin both ways, with the new oneway in it only spins the one way and the whirl has went away.

erwin.zeez
04-02-2010, 03:05 AM
i find different type of post,actually i was surfing net and came here. find this post different one!Well someone who dont know about it may get interesting type of information from this post…good sharing of ideas

woody
04-02-2010, 05:26 AM
My 185 is a 1983, based on above info, I'm thinking the one way must be rollers in a ramped race, like the roller electric start drives Honda uses. So this lets the drum lock to shaft in one direction but freewheel in the other. What is the purpose of this, anyone know? Do all automatic clutch 3/4 wheelers do this? Can it be elimated? I know there must be a reason, but so far I'm not seeing it. Appreciate someone who understands what is going on trying to explain. Thanks, Woody

woody
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Come-on, I know someone here understands what is happening with this one way clutch. I would really appreciate help understanding this. If it did not have the one way, what would change? Would compression braking be better? When does a rider need the freewheel feature? When does it kick in or work? What are the advantages of it? Got to be something to it or Honda wouldn't have done it this way. What is it supposed to do? Thanks in advance for help, Woody

woody
04-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Trying to get somebodys' attention on the one way clutch. Is there someone here who can explain what this does? can it be disabled? What the purpose is? I would love to understand what is going on, I understand the regular clutch and centrifical clutch, but what/why the one-way clutch???? Thanks in advance for your time/efforts, Woody

Escanabajosh
04-04-2010, 08:42 AM
i cant help ya on the what/why but ya aint going to be able to "not have one".

woody
04-04-2010, 08:22 PM
My reasoning is that since all the Honda automatic clutches on ALL their dirt bikes, like the Z50, CT70, CT90, XR50, XR70, etc., do NOT have one way clutches. I can't figure why it is needed on a three wheeler. Do all three wheeler automatics have these? On the bikes, there is positive engagement based on rpm, pretty simple, plus they have the shift lever linked to disengage the clutch when shifting, the rest of the time they are pure centrifical. What would cause a three or four wheeler to need anything different? Do all brands have them? Thanks for the input, Woody

woody
04-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Correction, the Honda FatCat has the one way.........

woody
04-25-2010, 02:25 AM
I replaced it with a good one from ebay, it now does not whir at shutdown and when downshifting it has instant engine braking. I still don't know why Honda has a one way on these engines and none on their bikes with automatic clutches....... If anyone understands, please let me know, Thanks!! Woody

trikeman78
04-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Check this out. It explains the one way clutch. Also know as a slipper clutch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipper_clutch

Escanabajosh
04-25-2010, 08:34 AM
cool, thanks. ever since he asked i'd been wondering myself