PDA

View Full Version : Help!! No Spark from a Yamaha YTM225DR

wmmalett
03-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I recently aquired a YTM225DR in pretty good shape. When I got it the CDI wires (insulation)to the pigtail opposite of the stator were melted. I replaced the CDI, still no spark. I swapped the coil and the rectifier with known good units and still no spark. I unplugged the wires to the kill switch, still no spark. I unplugged the ignition switch and used a jumper wire at the connector but still no spark. What's left?? The only thing I haven't tested is the stator. That's next on my list. How common is it for the stator to go bad? Just to let it known I don't have a battery in it but I don't believe that this would stop it from getting any spark. Is there a bad connection that is common on these machines that I should be looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Yamaha_Rules69
03-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Have you tried a new spark plug? Try to bypass the kill switch first and if that dosnt work bypass the ignition key switch. In most cases you just unplug the wire, and give it a pull to check for spark. It is uncommon for stators to fail in these machines, but not impossible. I would check the wires first, then test the stator output voltage.

wmmalett
03-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Yes I tried a different spark plug, disabling the kill switch and ignition switch and still no spark. I was just going to test the stator resistance according to the Clymer Manual and it looks like I may have found my problem. The 2 single wires, the yellow one and the white one, had the insulation worn thru on the white wire and just about worn thru on the yellow one. Also the 4 prong connector coming out of the stator has the insulation on those wires pretty thin and brittle. So I need to repair the 2 single wires and to replace the 4 prong connector. Does anyone have one of these 4 prong female connectors laying around (with some wires left on it that I can splice onto)? Or do you know where I could pick one up? I could probably splice in a new connector but if I do that I would have to put a new connector on the CDI too and I really don't want to do that.

Thanks,
Bill

Mr. Fixit
03-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Does'nt the battery complete a circuit. Might be wrong but I think it needs to be connected dead or alive.

MonroeMike
03-28-2010, 08:59 PM
The battery is not necessary.

wmmalett
03-28-2010, 09:00 PM
You would believe so but I have a YFM200 Moto-4 that runs without the battery in it. Unless the 225 is different but I wouldn't think so.

Thanks,
Bill

racer....X
03-28-2010, 09:38 PM
my 225 runs fine with no battery