PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy lying to me? bought a tri- case with hole in it.

Tri king
03-27-2010, 05:46 PM
I bought a tri-z side case off e-bay and i noticed it had a big hole in the case from the tranny to the kick start
the guy wrote this back

"The case is good. The hole was to oil the kick start gear better. We raced these in the day and figured this out. We use to driil them but figured out it was easyer to just punch a hole in them. The zss were notorious for not getting enough oil to the kicker."

The more I look at it, it looks like it was punched in the only place it could be and it kinda makes sense.
:wondering
Anyone know if this really was a common mod done to the Z's?

TriMotoMan
03-27-2010, 06:40 PM
that doesnt sound very practical

dcreel
03-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Send Brett driscoll a pm asking him. He raced them professionally for a couple of years.

Tri king
03-31-2010, 05:50 AM
I asked and he said he only rode the Z for 2 years and never had a problem with the kick start.

??? so what do you guys think?? should I use the case ?? you think it could cause any problems?

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2010, 08:12 AM
lets see a picture? there is one hole in it ... thats for the most Important Screw to go in!!!!!!

Dirtcrasher
03-31-2010, 02:18 PM
How much oil do any of you feel is needed at a kickstarter?? About enough to all ow to kick freely I'd say...........

If it were an added INTERNAL oil hole , like to the journal or gear itself, that I can see.

A hole in the case sounds F'd up to me, lets see it!!!!

rdlsz24
03-31-2010, 02:30 PM
lol nothing like keeping your kicker gears lubed during a long ride

Rob

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2010, 08:59 PM
this is what it should look like

Yamahondaman
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
don't the clutch sling plenty of oil up to that area ?

unclejemima
04-01-2010, 11:00 AM
sounds like bs to me. Does the hole look clean or is it all jagged?

pipeline triker
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Sounds like alot of BS to me. If he did not mention the hole in the auction tell him you want a refund. If he says no file with ebay that the part is not as described. i am not super familer with the tri-Zs but that back part is were the YZ's like to break.

Dirtcrasher
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Are we ever gonna get a picture?? All we can do is guess at this point..........

The Tri-Z is know to sometimes break that kicker case so it may be an issue with that. WHICH, still makes me mad; There has to be a way to make that housing hold up but I think it's already dowel pinned?? So, I'm out of ideas unless ZI have a couple to look at and think about........

I've met plenty of machinists that can fix things, but many of them cannot figure out what happened or how to prevent it in the future.....

Ya have to forget that old engineering and figure out how to avoid it again; No matter WHAT it takes.

We still need some pics please. The new board makes adding pics a piece of cake !! :D