PDA

View Full Version : Clutch question

turbowrenchhead
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
I replace the clutch discs today. When I took the cover off to take the unit off the motor their was gummed up thick greese under the cap. Is it suppose to be clean under there, or do I need to add new wheel bearing greese?

mopar_man
03-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Grease under the side cover? That doesn't sound right. Do you have pictures of here it was?

turbowrenchhead
03-25-2010, 11:10 AM
No I did not take a pic of what was under it. Its all cleaned out now. When putting in the clutches do you need to soak them in oil before you install them?

jb2wheels
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I think you're talking about the oil slinger on the clutch. It's basically a centrifical oil filter. Technically, it should be cleaned with every oil change, but rarely happens since the case cover has to come off. Mine was nasty like 3/8" thick sludge. Should be clean when it goes back together.

I don't know what the manual says about the clutch plates (hint hint) but I would soak them.

Sounds like a great build!

turbowrenchhead
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
All I'm waiting on is the 110 cylinder. Then it goes to the machine shop.

mopar_man
03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
If it's the slinger "filter", then it sounds like somebody didn't clean it for a long time. As for the clutches, I would soak them in oil overnight before installing. Make sure it's a motorcycle oil approved for wet clutches too.

turbowrenchhead
03-25-2010, 02:42 PM
The bike was neglected for many years. So its no surprise that it was gummed up.