PDA

View Full Version : new theftproof 86es, spark and starting in gear

tri again
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
still in the truck

kid said it was running great and it died and he had no neutrallight.

went out this morning, hooked up the charger and tried to turn the key.....mushtwist.

wonder what's the fastest easiest way to see if I have spark with a dysfunctional key or condemn this one for parts.

Anytime I leave stuff in the truck, I undoubtedly need it for something urgent, like getting another trike from craigslist before the other addicts get to it.

I got this one within minutes of 10 other people.
150$

rdlsz24
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Nice spray bomb.

I have an 85 Big Red and I am going through the same thing trying to see if I can get spark. I was told it doesn't have to be in neutral for the kick starter to work, is this true?

Rob

tri again
03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Nice spray bomb.

I have an 85 Big Red and I am going through the same thing trying to see if I can get spark. I was told it doesn't have to be in neutral for the kick starter to work, is this true?

Rob

well?

the electric start need to be in neutral or the starter wont run.

my other 85 has no key switch and just 4 wires hanging in thin air.

If any of those touch, well, they dont have to in order for it to run.

so all i have to do is make sure the run switch is NOT off, and kick it and it will glow the neutral light and fire up wwith all 4 ignition key wires hanging in thin air and not touching each other.

its like 2 separate circuits that dont really need each other, if that makes sense.

in diagnosisng a no start or no spark condition you may have to cross check some grounds

rdlsz24
03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
It doesn't have to be in neutral for the kicker though? The owner's manual says it does, but that may just be precautionary. I ask this because I think I found neutral on mine but the tranny seems like it's kinda jacked up, so I am not positive. I want to see if it will even run before I throw any money at it.

Rob

tri-Z ripper
03-23-2010, 04:15 PM
use some starting fluid aka "ether" see if it starts not the best or safest way but it will tell you if it runs trust me! had a 200S that sat outside for years some marvel mystery oil for a couple days some starter fluid and BAZINGA!

tri again
03-23-2010, 04:24 PM
It doesn't have to be in neutral for the kicker though? The owner's manual says it does, but that may just be precautionary. I ask this because I think I found neutral on mine but the tranny seems like it's kinda jacked up, so I am not positive. I want to see if it will even run before I throw any money at it.

Rob

ahh HA!

I see.

Ok, welp, let me take a break from this 86 and go try to start mine with it in gear.

I need to drain the gas and get it ready for that 'factory recall' cold start jet thing so I need to move it anyway.

or

I can fire up an 87 electric start and then see if it will kick start when NOT in neutral.

I have a funny feeling that with an intact keyswitch ignition, they may cross talk to the kill circuit, which is what the
reverse killer switch does.

see my 85 has NO no ignition key wires connected to anything OR each other.

so what I'm trying to say is, if your key is on and the neutral safety switch thinks its in gear, it will not let the starter run and prob ground short the ...

let me try both.

tri again
03-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Rob

Ok, thats odd,

starts with key and neutral light on with elec starter..well, that s not the odd part.

I shut it off, turned the key on, saw neutral light, put it in 1st, neutrallight went off and kicked it

well, I dont get it.

Just kicking it, it tried to walk foreward.
Now if i put this one on gear while its running, it wont even try to walk foreward without some throttle.

Let me get this one off the porch since i need it any way today, and then try the other one.

If I'm gonna run myself over, the obits would be less funny if it didnt happen on my front porch.

muddog
03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
it has to be in neutral to start if you try kicking it in gear it will just jump forward.

rdlsz24
03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah I guess that makes sense lol. So I must be in neutral since it is not doing that.

Rob

tri again
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah I guess that makes sense lol. So I must be in neutral since it is not doing that.

Rob

so, glad you found neutral.

I got sidetracked with a 4wd jeep.
neighbors giving it way

anyhow,
do you have a working key switch?
do you have any battery voltage?
do you have a glowing green neutral light either w/ key sw voltage?
or does the neutrallight glow when you kick it over?

spark yet?

next thing I'd check is the neutral safe switch supposed to be under some cover under the engine.
Never seen one in person yet

now THAT one might need to be grounded to let you have spark, where all the other switchie things ground to kill it.

I better get back to work.

if gf shows up with parts and I'm geeking..well never mind

good luck

lemmie know what you find

tri again
03-23-2010, 10:41 PM

Rob

I just came in and maybe came to mysenses.

How do we jumpstart these silly things.
In gear, right?

Ergo therefore, it should start in gear.

Duh me

Man, I get tunnel vision if i work on these things too long

muddog
03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
have fun picking up the back of a BR and running around with it:)