PDA

View Full Version : 87 es bigred shifter lever loose

tri again
03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I hate when that happens.

They redesigned them to shift UP to keep people from stomping DOWN on them
and stripping them.

but this one is loose and the pinch bolt has the thing almost closed and touching
so more tightening will simply break the bolt.

it still shifts but it scares me.

Maybe wrap some tinfoil on the shaft and reset it?

I can't be the only one with this question.

sorry for all the questions but I've got one on deck, one on the rack and one in the truck..all in the last week.

Trying to get ready for a 5 day festival with thousands of people so we need our assault vehicles.

keister
03-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Might be time for a new lever? They are still available from Honda, but are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced. I can't tell you how much because I blocked it from my memory when the guy at the counter told me what they wanted for one.
Hopefully someone sells an aftermarket lever that fits. Good luck!

8586bigred
03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
take the lever and saw the slot with a hacksaw. saw the side NOT threaded and it will give you more gap. I have repaired numerous Hondas with this problem. works great. and saves money. it makes the gap bigger to provide more clamp.

Thorpe
03-23-2010, 12:29 PM
You can get into an aftermarket one for about 20 bucks... I just open the slit a bit more as mentioned above...

cattle-dog
03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
i have also done what they mentioned above and had good success if you need a new aftermarket instead of doing that i may have one but try the hacksaw method first

tri again
03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks

figure i should spread it a little say .025" and then hacksaw it withOUT toushing the threaded side.

Maybe I'll screw in a spare bolt from the other side to preserve the threads and ruin the sacrificial bolt.

hmmm wonder if i should walk into the orchard and steal one off a 90 or 110 or 185.

can't imagine they are the same dia.

I do have a 200es one that was loose i could experiment on.

anyone interested in a 5 day party in oregon?

I send you camping passes.