PDA

View Full Version : Got a tricky one for ya guys

BIGREDGUY
03-22-2010, 07:43 PM
So I decided to recover the seat on BR and found that the pan is a mess. Its missing some teeth on the sides of the pan. I dont want to get a new pan so thats where you come in. its got all the front and back teeth and some on the sides. Lets hear some tricks to stretch the sides of this out and get it tight. Thanks Guys!

Vealmonkey
03-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Weld on some new teeth? Weld on some small brads that could be bent up? Cut a new piece of sheetmetal that you cut new teeth into and weld that to the uderside of the pan?

Thorpe
03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Vealmonkey took the words right out of my fingers....

mopar_man
03-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Rivets or sheet metal screws but I don't even know if I would mess with that pan. It's missing metal in some spots. Do you have the plastic trim edge to go around it? If not, those rust spots are likely going to cut through your nice new seat cover. My pan is slightly worse than yours but the foam is nice. I took the foam, wrapped it from both ends with plastic shopping bags and duct taped the whole thing to the seat pan. It looks redneck but it works for now until I find a better pan or mold a new one out of fiberglass from my old pan.

1984ATC200S
03-22-2010, 09:33 PM
i know you don't want to get a new pan, but why not get a plastic one off a 84 BR same pan just plastic and there's got to be tons out there.

BIGREDGUY
03-22-2010, 09:37 PM
i dont have the trim but im sure i could make one and the foam is perfect. Thanks for the ideas guys ill look more into it tomorrow but in the mean time keep em coming. thanks again

Dirtcrasher
03-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Thin sheet metal LOVES to be braised, and it holds up very well.....................

Vealmonkey
03-22-2010, 10:43 PM
There you go then. DC is stepping up to the plate and offering to repair your seat for you! LOL

3wheelmecca
03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I thought brazing was only for carbide tools, but DC, you are an idea machine.

tri again
03-22-2010, 11:19 PM
So I decided to recover the seat on BR and found that the pan is a mess. Its missing some teeth on the sides of the pan. I dont want to get a new pan so thats where you come in. its got all the front and back teeth and some on the sides. Lets hear some tricks to stretch the sides of this out and get it tight. Thanks Guys!

I distinctly remember using some funny clips to repair saab seats at the dealership.

How to describe....

OK picture miniature matchbooks only not closed.
Springy stamped folded over metal with one way kinda teeth on them.

Simply fold the vinyl over whatevers left of the metal
and tap them on. and they bite like crazy

really need something stout to pull them off

tri again
03-22-2010, 11:23 PM

could you grommet and then lace across the bottom side like sneekers? or is that too tacky

I've got one I have to do before it rains again

I'm gonna find those slip on clips, maybe upholstery shop would know

They simply cannot cost more than 10 for a buck

3wheelmecca
03-22-2010, 11:23 PM
hog rings, or pull the old school honda look with button rivets (chrome)

BIGREDGUY
03-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks everyone ill go tinker with it now!