PDA

View Full Version : A few 1985 200X questions

KLTguy
03-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Today was the first day I got to ride my 200X. It fires up on the first kick every time! It warms up quick, and has a very good idle almost immediately after starting it. The motor feels very responsive, and has good power, but it was smoking the whole time I rode it. When cruising it wasn't too bad, but if I would stop and let it idle for a minute or two, then take off, it would pour out smoke pretty thick. It would clear up some after riding. To me the symptoms point to rings. I want to run dry, and wet compression tests to try to confirm the rings are worn.

Can someone tell me what normal compression should be on my trike?

If I need rings, how long should I expect the job to take, being the first time doing this job on a small engine? I am mechanically inclined, but I've never worked on an atv, dirtbike, etc.

Does anyone have any tips, or know where I can get a manual to help me through the job?

Any help would be great. I want to get this trike running its best. Thanks guys!

BIGREDGUY
03-21-2010, 09:45 PM
142-170 psi compression and your diagnosis sounds correct on the rings. Check your compression

85200xrider
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
as long as you have all the parts and tools you need, the manual, a cold 6 pack it shouldnt really take more then 2 hours to do it....its pretty easy

tri-Z ripper
03-21-2010, 10:03 PM
search for manuals on here! then check your local powersports repair shop if you have one nearby sometimes its cheaper to have someone else do something you dont know!

posty2100
03-21-2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

BIGREDGUY
03-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Agreed :beer A top end isn't too difficult at all

TheRealFatShady
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Yea, as has been said maybe two hours. Only thing is you may need to take it apart and mic it to see if you have a stock size piston before ordering your rings (unless you know for sure.) Grab a top end gasket set with valve guide seals in it while you do the rings as well.

KLTguy
03-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow, you guys rock! You just answered all my questions, and gave me a link to a factory manual in less than an hour. Also, I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be a bad job! One more question; What brand and weight oil do you run in your X?

TheRealFatShady
03-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I would think any 10w40 or 30 would be good, I've never been picky on my brands.

On the rings, come to think of it my 200s was smoking similarly. I thought it was the rings. They were actually perfect. (Hell, everything in that engine was, just the outside looked horrible). My smoking was caused by the valve guide seal on the intake side.

If yours starts up first kick, the compression/rings may be fine.

Texas 200x
03-22-2010, 12:44 AM
I think valve seals come in the top end kits. If your gonna do it you should go ahead and put new rings in it too. Pull your jug and hone it and while waiting for the ring and gasket kits. Then you should be good to go with a fresh top end. I run Mobile 1 synthetic 10w30, never had any problems. I run it in EVERYTHING I own.