PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem with 83 R

cartmanchubs
08-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Went to the sand dunes last weekend and rode it for about a 10 hours both days. Later in the second day it started sputtering and spitting and every once in a while it would back fire. It would die every once in a while too. It would be kinda hard to start but if you waited a few minutes and let it sit it would start on the first kick. You could ride it for a couple of minutes and then it would just start doing the same thing. I kinda thought maybe some water had got in the gas because it had been raining some, so I drained the tank and the carb and put new gas in it but it did the same thing. I took the filter off and looked and there was a little sand but not too much. See the air filter i got doesn't go on the outside of the hole so you can use a clamp. It goes on the inside of the hole so what I do is duck tape it and then put the clamp on not to tight just to get a decent seal. There wasn't much oil on the filter and I think it just went through the filter. I'm not sure though. It had done the sputtering thing one time during the second day and all I did was change the spark plug and then it ran fine for a couple of hours. Then it just started doing the same thing again. Changed the plug again then would just do the same thing......would start for a few minutes then start sputtering again. Was kinda thinking that maybe there was some sand in the carb and maybe when you let it sit the sand would settle to the bottom and then it would start the sand would come back up. But when I pulled the plug on the bottom of the carb no sand was in the plug so I don't know. Would appreciate the help. Wanted to go back to the dunes for Labor Day but don't seem like it is going to happen. Haven't had time to mess with it yet but am gonna work on it some tommorow. Thanx....... Taylor :x

Lots_Of_Nothing
08-27-2003, 08:31 PM
i would take the cylinder head off, and see how tight the piston is, if it has alot of movement left/right (while in the cylinder with rings) you could need new rings...sometimes when water and sand gets in the engine it puts alot of wear on the rings.....also take out the reed block and check your reed petals, make sure there in ok shape and clean