PDA

View Full Version : ATC 90 spark?

atc350xer
03-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Ok, I got this trike a week ago, it ran, but needed maintenance, so I changed the oil, cleaned the carb, air filter, and spark plug, put on a new pull start rope, and magically, it has no spark. It had spark yesterday, today it does not. I will start by getting a new NGK plug tomorrow, but what should I check after that? I have the manual and don't see any troubleshooting area in it, I have also searched the site so I didn't bother anyone with repetitive questions... just couldn't find my answer... is there something common on these 90's that I should check?

Vealmonkey
03-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Make sure handlebar switch is to "on". Make sure headllight switch is "on" which should be middle position. If still no spark, then I would check to make sure my points are opening up. If your points don't open up, no spark will jump across and down to your plug. If points appear to be working correctly, check for your ground at your coil. After that, you can jumper out your start switch at the handlebars and rule that out. You can jump out your headlight and rule that out. You can check your connections. You can check your wires for continuity. You can check your coil and your stator. And I think that pretty much covers it.

Frankencelery
03-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Make sure the spark plug cap is on securely by twisting it clockwise. It also pushes into the coil end with a screw-on cap that's supposed to hold the wire in, but it does not always hold. The wire could have pulled out of the coil. You can actually remove it from the coil without damage.

atc350xer
03-20-2010, 11:06 PM
I noticed the coil is inside the frame... do you remove the 2 nuts and pull it out of the oval hole in the back left of the frame?

Vealmonkey
03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
It's been so long since I messed with a stock frame. If I remember right you have to go in above where the engine is.

86trizinger
03-20-2010, 11:51 PM
I got to my coil through the rear hole in the frame where the air filter goes... It was very tight though. I couldn't get to mine from above the engine since the way the wires were routed.

Frankencelery
03-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Crap, I'm sorry. I was thinking of the 70, where the coil is mounted on the outside of the frame. I've never taken the coil out of the frame on my 90. It's the same type of coil though, so the same thing applies.

atc350xer
03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Well, the plug wire was floppy where it clamps on to the intake(it felt broken inside), I had a spare coil, so I plugged it in before installing and got spark... so I squeaked the original one out the airbox hole and swapped them, bolted in the spare, and still no spark... this is driving me nuts! Carb is rebuilt now and I have no way to test/adjust it :mad:

squirrel1182
03-30-2010, 02:52 PM
If its getting spark with the coil out of the frame why not just zip tie it whare it works and call it close enough? Thats what i would do at least.

atc350xer
03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
it mounts inside the frame, don't want it rattling around in there