PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250es No spark

ahardwick
03-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Just joined up looks like a cool site, with alot of technical help. I am mechanically inclined, but not in the electrical department. Bought a 1985 250es basketcase for next to nothing. Has no spark, but got it to crank over. Just looking for some help on what to test and such.

All right, after cleaning corrosion on the ignition switch, I got the electric start to crank over. We have no spark on the machine. Started checking wires and we seem to not be getting power to anything. Unplugged the cdi and tested it due to the manual, and it seems bad. But also while cranking it over, none of the plugs are showing power into the cdi. Where should I strat with this gremlin? Stator, volt regulator, buy a new cdi?

3wheelmecca
03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I would double check the stator, there could be excess corrosion on the pickup/ rotor. I would just hit it with some emery paper

ahardwick
03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
So I should run a test on the stator while cranking it over . See if I have power coming out?

3wheelmecca
03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
i would take off the cover, and physically check the pickup for rust, all my 250's (with the same type) rust up frequently. I usually clean them with emery and CRC QD Electronic cleaner. i would check the magneto in the head too

hublake
03-19-2010, 01:11 PM
If you have an electrical diagram find where the main fuse is and check that. Could also try a new spark plug. I know on my BR it will be running fine one day and the next day it won't start. New plug and it takes right off.

ahardwick
03-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Well I got the stator cover off. The stator looks pretty corroded right across from the pulse generator. How do I go about testing these?

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa123/hardwick_a/IMG_4749.jpg

MonroeMike
03-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Chapter 14.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/atc250es-85-87servicemanual.pdf

atc500x
03-19-2010, 11:58 PM
You will need another stator,the wiring is toasted

tri again
03-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Just joined up looks like a cool site, with alot of technical help. I am mechanically inclined, but not in the electrical department. Bought a 1985 250es basketcase for next to nothing. Has no spark, but got it to crank over. Just looking for some help on what to test and such.

All right, after cleaning corrosion on the ignition switch, I got the electric start to crank over. We have no spark on the machine. Started checking wires and we seem to not be getting power to anything. Unplugged the cdi and tested it due to the manual, and it seems bad. But also while cranking it over, none of the plugs are showing power into the cdi. Where should I strat with this gremlin? Stator, volt regulator, buy a new cdi?

I would Love to know that stator outputs.

I've heard you ohm them t check for shorts but that doesn't mean they throw voltage or enough voltage.
Its AC voltage, somewhere under and up to 100 vAc but what is the wattage or amperage??
Even the sites that build them don't state that for ignition coils.

They'll say something like 200 watts for lighting coil but I been looking for weeks now.

Good luck, you're going to Love that trike.

My 85 es is still my favorite and it's not even running right now.
Waiting for cold jet kit.

PS sometimes they'll start with kicks but will NOT fire even with a hot battery and fast spinning starter.
Sometimes they just WANT the perfect sharp kick at the perfect place on the compression stroke

ahardwick
03-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Well I have downloaded the manual for it, and scored a laptop to take to the garage with the manual on the zip drive.

So the stator is fried huh? Thought so just by looking.

3wheelmecca
03-20-2010, 10:45 AM
yeah, I am surprised how good of condition yours is despite the small burned spot. Mine are usually burned up bad. coils are another story, I have never been able to test them, either they work, or they dont.

Russell 350X
03-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Look's like it got cooked.

rdlsz24
03-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Did you test the stator using the procedure in the service manual? I'm trying to figure out my no spark on my 85 Big Red. My stator checks out ok though.

Rob

350x'inNY
03-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Make sure the wiring to your neutral indicator/reverse light is hooked up down buy your right foot. My Big Red died out in the field one day.... electric starter worked and everything, but no spark. Towed it home and the wire pulled off those prongs. It is connected to the CDI and will not let it start.

rdlsz24
03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Hey that helps me out since I actually do have that apart right now. Is it possible that the switch to indicate neutral can go bad? My neutral light doesn't come on even though it is in neutral. The bulb looks ok when I held it up and looked at the filament.

Rob