PDA

View Full Version : Should I clear coat after Sunrise Red?

rickybudz
03-18-2010, 08:49 PM
I painted the forks in Rustolum Sunrise Red, as I seen in here, worked out great and is inexspensive! Now I am onto the tank, but I just wanted to know if this will require a clear coat? This paint is awsome, I just want it to hold up!

atc350xer
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
I just bought a couple cans of sunrise, and right next to them was the clear, so I grabbed it... red is nice, SHINY red is nicer

jensenracing77
03-18-2010, 09:01 PM
you don't want to clear it. the clear will make the red blister. i use the same paint for most of my 70s and it does good without clear. this will sound funny but i would not get gas on it for over a month. i had gas ruin the paint on a couple but i let them sit for a couple months and they are fine. i would not think it would take that long to cure but it does.

atc350xer
03-18-2010, 09:13 PM
really? the clear that they sell right next to the paint will make the paint bubble? that sucks... there should be a warning on the label

jeffatc250r
03-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I used that stuff on some of my atc 70 parts the other day. I painted the forks at night, next day I realized that i missed a few spots so I went to re-bomb it and all the paint blistered immediately. It was like I sprayed paint stripper on it. Guess what im saying is dont recoat after its tacked up for 12 hrs. Dunno why it does that, never seen any other paint do it before.

jensenracing77
03-19-2010, 05:29 AM
if i was to guess, i bet it would not do it if you wanted to wait for a month or so. after that i bet you could clear it but don't know.

rickybudz
03-19-2010, 06:30 AM
I used that stuff on some of my atc 70 parts the other day. I painted the forks at night, next day I realized that i missed a few spots so I went to re-bomb it and all the paint blistered immediately. It was like I sprayed paint stripper on it. Guess what im saying is dont recoat after its tacked up for 12 hrs. Dunno why it does that, never seen any other paint do it before.

This is why I asked about the clear coat! The can says you can second coat within 48 hours. so I did, and it totally blistered! So I took it all back down to the steel, and gave it one good coat, then left it. It turned out pretty good with the one single thick coat. I would just say, watch out for runninig! I was just wondering if the clear coat would of done the same thing, but I am not taking the chance! Like I said, that paint is awsome all by it self!

mtsnieg
03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
I used Sunrise Red on my 200s tank and forkd without any clear. It looks very nice and shiny, Has held up great for the past 4 - 5 months.

rdlsz24
03-19-2010, 02:58 PM
I've had mixed results with adding clear as well, even when they are the same brand.

Rob

jonathanchevy
04-13-2010, 04:23 AM
I used the same paint on my frame and you have to put the clear on right after you get done before the paint dries or 48 hours later and it works great there is a fine time line or it well blister

harryredtrike
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
ive had the clear coat blister as well.the paint itself is good enough.i agree with above about letting the paint really cure before getting gas on it.

oldskool83
04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I would let it go how it is. we clear coated a friends bike after we let the paint dry an week and it got funky then, the paint was nicer with out clear. i use enamal epoxy paint when i wanna paint, it seems to shin very nice and its hard like the paint on your washer and dryer.

Grizzlypeg
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
The clear coat should be sprayed as soon as the base coat has flashed off (no longer wet with solvent). There is so much solvent in these spray bombs that it redisolves the old dried paint and lifts it. You can get lifting and blistering even without clear coat, just by using a second coat of base paint at the wrong interval.

Might pay to do some experimenting on a pop can as to how best to apply it. I'd spray the clear coat within 5-15 minutes of the last base coat, depending on temperature.

tri-Z ripper
04-13-2010, 11:58 AM
good user info in here! im not a fan of the clear either! your adding another coat of paint that in return makes it thicker and easier to chip! Gas will eat even cured paint and plastic. Its a solvent washes anything off your hands right?

thestud25
04-13-2010, 12:43 PM
If you guys have not use PJ1 Paint you really need to. I have used it for years. It is an epoxy based paint that is resistant to gas and oil after 3-5 days of curing! PJ1 even has paint for most years of production on Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, and Suzukis!

It is the only paint I use on my bikes.

haggard 2hundie
04-13-2010, 04:55 PM
is there a specific red or name, i want to paint my frame, also any recomendations on a white paint for my tank?

thestud25
04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I purchased the PJ1 Honda 86-88 red paint. The make white as well. However, I am not sure of the exact name other than PJ1 with that one.

haggard 2hundie
04-13-2010, 05:18 PM
thatll work thanks man , doeswalmart carry this or parts store ?

Grizzlypeg
04-13-2010, 05:45 PM
I'd like to try that PJ1 as well, but availability is the problem here where I live. Maybe a motorcycle accessory shop?

thestud25
04-13-2010, 05:58 PM
The only place I know that sells this paint is motorcycle shops. I know for fact that Wal-Mart, O'Reillys, Pep-Boys, Autozone do not carry it. If you walk into a dirtbike/atv shop they should be able to order it if they do not have it in stock. PM me if you cannot find it locally. I will help you out.

thestud25
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
You can go to http://www.pjhbrands.com/ and search for a dealer near you. It does not appear that you can buy online.

redrider84
04-15-2010, 07:05 AM
I had the same problem I painted my frame and tank with the sunrise red, cleared after about an hour when the paint was still a little wet, and it turned out great. But when I painted my plastics.. that was a horrible thing, I waited to long and it did the bubble and peal like you guys talk about.. had to wipe those spots off and just not use clear, but I put a couple coats on and it turned out really nice. So like the guy said just use the right intervals and test it on another piece of metal first.
http://i39.tinypic.com/357q4hs.jpg