PDA

View Full Version : 84 200X oil pump screws. Any trick to removing them?

handyandy
03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Hey I'm new to 3wheelerworld. I am in the process of repairing/restoring a 84' 200x I picked up this winter. I have got the frame and suspension cleaned painted and repaired like I want it and I am ready to go through the engine now. I have rebuilt several 4 stroke and 2 stroke atv and dirt bike engines, but none this old. Because this thing is so old, and because the cam and head looked like crap I want to inspect the oil pump for wear and replace the gaskets. I cannot get the 2 phillips head screws that hold the pump to the engine case out to save my life though. I broke the tip clean off a Snap-On #3 phillips trying. The screws are not stripped (yet). Is there some sort of trick to getting these things off? I can turn the oil pump rotor by hand and and hear it sucking and gurgling on what oil is still left in the oil passages, not to mention the head was full of oil when I removed it and leaked like a sieve so I think it may be ok but I want to know for sure. Any suggestions? Should these things be this tight, I mean seriously?

rdlsz24
03-16-2010, 02:05 PM
They are crazy tight. I ended up having to use my Dremel with a cut off wheel to turn them into a straight slot after I stripped the Phillips. Then I pounded a straight slot bit into the new slot. Then I used a ratchet to turn that lol.

Rob

rickybudz
03-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I found that tearing my old Yamaha apart. I had to keep a pair of small needle nosed visegrips around for most of the screws! They don't work in tight spots, but they work!

WisconsinJohn
03-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Did you try using a hand impact driver (one you hit with a hammer??) If there is room that might do it. Sears probably has it...
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-3064-lisle-29200.aspx

handyandy
03-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Sounds like it's not unusual for them to be really tight. I should have a replacement screwdriver soon, I don't want to stick a cheapo in it and round the threads out. I thought I might try heating the case up a little with a propane torch in the area of the screws.

SWIGIN
03-16-2010, 04:42 PM
I had a 200x back when they were new and those screws were PITA tight back then. The only easy way to get them out is use a impact screw driver like was said abouve.

dan440hemi
03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Did you try using a hand impact driver (one you hit with a hammer??) If there is room that might do it. Sears probably has it...
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-3064-lisle-29200.aspx

that would be the best way thats what i used

anderson8687
03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
i agree...i just made a post on another thread about using an impact driver on stuck bolts....sure beats stripping out phillips heads!!

CRAZY70MAN
03-16-2010, 08:29 PM
yes sir.....impact driver th only way.........or the best way I should say.