PDA

View Full Version : Nicholson 185

90crazy
03-12-2010, 02:22 AM
Here is a few pics of what the nicholson 185 looked like when we picked it up. We are hoping to have this build done by next winter. I'll keep updated pics up as we go along. We have'nt figured out what front end to use yet.:wondering

phantombiker
03-12-2010, 02:29 AM
what sort of ideas do you have for her ?

Vealmonkey
03-12-2010, 03:59 AM
Use the front end on there as it is correct for the bike.

90crazy
03-12-2010, 04:18 AM
Use the front end on there as it is correct for the bike.

The only reason I say that is because the triple clamps look home made and they hit the old tank when you turn. I'll get a couple pics up of them soon. The bike is tore down now. Did they use yz 80 forks like the 90s did? Cuz we got a set of triple clamps like the ones on shortline's dickson 90 and the forks are too small for those clamps. Thinkin they might be early 250r forks, since the rear shock is from one.

Vealmonkey
03-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Different makers used different forks from different bikes. Cl90 forks, sl125 forks and several others. It really depended on what they could get for cheap new parts. If you ever have aftermarket fork sets from different makers together, the fork tube sizes are all different. And all the triples are different. From welded steel to machined aluminum bar stock to cast aluminum. As far as the fork stops, you will probably have to make your own. Alot of makers didn't put the stops in so they could fit a wider range of trikes and even to turn very sharp as in flat tracking. And of course some makers parts were a tad more "finished" than others. It's really crazy when you buy these fork sets used and they don't come with all the parts or you have to try and figure out what bike the forks are from so you can try and get seals or internal parts. Very frustrating. I'm not sure what shocks the Nicks came with. The sources might have changed over time. Works shocks on alot of 185s kits were common so no reason to think the nick didn't come with them. I've seen bilstein shocks on some kits. If you have a 250r shock on there, who's to say it's original to the frame? And there are even variations to the nick frames between early and late frames. Is your frame mild steel or chromoly as there were even variations in material. I really only know 1 or 2 people that know the Nick frames really well. But no matter, it's still super cool and these are really the kinds of trikes I like as you might notice by my signature. Keep the front end, as the wide tire would be correct for the trike. There would be so many neat period pieces for that trike. I could spend your money like water. Turbo wheels, NASA rear axles and that is just for starters. Have fun bringing that trike to it's former glory. That's history there my friend.

RapidRick
03-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Post a closeup of the triples. From the pics you've posted they look very similar to mine. I bought mine from Nicholson.

shortline10
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I have a set of tripples just like yours and the only place I could find them was in a Finishline ad from the 1980s .

Very nice frame you have and good luck with it .

oldskool83
03-12-2010, 05:03 PM
is that a red tecate front fender? 84?

dcreel
03-12-2010, 05:46 PM
is that a red tecate front fender? 84?

It looks like a Maier vented 84-85 tecate front fender