PDA

View Full Version : Wet bike's, after sitting!

rickybudz
03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
The last two days have been fairly warm, 50s & 60s! I put my bikes in the pole barn the first night and covered them with plastic tarps, to keep the cat prints off them! The next day, they were completly wet, like a cold glass of water on a hot day, full of sweat. So last night I put them back in the pole barn, without the tarps, and still got the same thing! Any ideas why, I don't want them to rust!? Nothing else in my work shop is doing this, and the bikes are not hot from riding when I stick them in there!

atctim
03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
It is from condensation. the bike is cool - the pole barn heats up - and moisture collects on the cold surfaces - just as you said - like a cold glass of water. Run a fan on them - or keep them in a better ventilated area to stop this form happening. This happens to mine every spring - my whole garage gets "wet" from condensation.

keister
03-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Personally, I wouldn't tarp them. I think that would just hold the moisture in. I see people covering cars, bikes, etc in the winter with tarps or plastic and it just looks like a bad idea to me.
Another hint: Spray your motor and cases down with WD-40 periodically. That prevents corrosion that naturally likes to build up on them.

oldskool83
03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
try an old sheet or somthing.

200XMichigan
03-11-2010, 06:11 PM
WD-40 has something in it that weakens rubber, carb boots etc. A water based silicone won't eat rubber. I spray the whole bike with silicone before storing it, everything except the pads and rotor.

thestud25
03-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Put a bag of open charcoal under the tarps. Or a fan.

rickybudz
03-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree with needing ventilation for condensation, I just got home and my air compressor tank was doing the same thing. My air compressor don't move, ever! So it must be air flow. I just don't seem to remember this last year!

rickybudz
03-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Ran a fan on the bikes last night and no condensation, but the compressor looked like some one sprayed it with a water hose. Today I guess I'm going to shell out the money for a ventilation fan for the shop. This is going to eat into my, new tires, money! I guess it's OK, because it will probably cost more in the end if I don't get on it! Thanks for your replies, I'm off to spend some money!