PDA

View Full Version : powder coating a engine

matt drover
03-10-2010, 10:03 PM
I am rebuilding a 85 honda 250 big red. I got the crankcase split and want to powder coat the entire engine. got her all cleaned up,got all the paint of the crank case covers. So im wondering if i powder coat the the cyclinder etc,crankcase covers and the crankcase will the powder coat hold all the heat in causeing the engine to over heat. I know i could do the crank case covers with no heat problem. I seen liquid cooled engines complety powder coated but the big red is air cooled so is this a bad idea.

TheRealFatShady
03-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I would think it would get to hot and pretty much melt the powdercoat off. However, they make high-heat grill paint you can use. Perhaps, possibly, there is a powdercoat made for high heat?

Tecate 50
03-11-2010, 01:20 AM
It can be done, but it will hold more heat. I use PJ1 paint, it works great! There is no need for a high temperature paint, as the engine should never reach these temperatures! Powder coating does look nice, as I have it on other parts of my trike. The problem with powder coat is that the material is think, and sometimes can cause clearance issues with some applications, not to mention in the areas where bolts have to be tightened in certain areas, it tends to want to chip, where as paint is forgiving......hope this helps! Post some pics along the way.....

rickybudz
03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
It can be done, but it will hold more heat. I use PJ1 paint, it works great! There is no need for a high temperature paint, as the engine should never reach these temperatures! Powder coating does look nice, as I have it on other parts of my trike. The problem with powder coat is that the material is think, and sometimes can cause clearance issues with some applications, not to mention in the areas where bolts have to be tightened in certain areas, it tends to want to chip, where as paint is forgiving......hope this helps! Post some pics along the way.....

You answered every question I had also,Thanks!

Sheridan23
03-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Wouldn't paint chip real easy though?

Tecate 50
03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I guess anything can chip.....paint when applied correctly in my opinion is more forgiving, and if it chips it can easily be touched up, where as powder coat you cannot! Powder coat depending on what type, and if they shoot clear over it can be briddle in some of the mating surfaces! I had some powder coating on my trike chip in certains areas. This is only my opinion.....as I have never powder coated an engine, I have however seen it done before and its looks great! I prefer the engine to retain less heat internally!

matt drover
03-14-2010, 07:51 PM
thanks for the advice can you tell me more about this pj1 paint and where can i get some.and how good does it hold up against mud ,dirt and salt. do you use the paint on the cylinder and the cyclinder head to.

matt drover
03-14-2010, 07:54 PM
oh yeah what do you think the average temperature a engine reaches.just curious and what about a exhaust just put a cobra exhaust on my bike after a couple of rides all the paint peeled of the front pipe.

Tecate 50
03-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Exhaust is another story, it reaches higher temps and especially on a 4 stroke can be difficult to keep paint applied! I ceramic coated my pipe! I have a water temp gauge on my Tecate, the highest I saw the temp reach was about 200 degrees in the Oklahoma sand dunes in 80 degree weather, on the ice in the winter it stayed around 125 to 150 degrees topps! I painted my cases, cylinder, and head with PJ1 that I purchased at my local dealership, they keep it in stock for us guys out here! You may have to order it depending on your location and where you might be buying the paint from. I love the stuff....it holds and cleans up very well, and have never had any problems with it!

TheRealFatShady
03-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Exhaust is another story, it reaches higher temps and especially on a 4 stroke can be difficult to keep paint applied! I ceramic coated my pipe! I have a water temp gauge on my Tecate, the highest I saw the temp reach was about 200 degrees in the Oklahoma sand dunes in 80 degree weather, on the ice in the winter it stayed around 125 to 150 degrees topps! I painted my cases, cylinder, and head with PJ1 that I purchased at my local dealership, they keep it in stock for us guys out here! You may have to order it depending on your location and where you might be buying the paint from. I love the stuff....it holds and cleans up very well, and have never had any problems with it!

Have any pictures of this? I want to repaint my engine a gloss/polished black, and then do my pipe either white or black. Wasn't sure what paint would hold up.

I assume this PJ1 stuff works better than standard 'grill paint' or 'high heat' paint from an auto store?

Thanks

Tecate 50
03-14-2010, 11:20 PM
I dont have any pics right now.....i can put some up tomorrow! I would definately use high temp paint or grill paint for the pipe! VHT high temp paint is good for the exhaust, it can be picked up at some auto stores , or any high performance parts stores! I think it is good up to 1200 degrees or so! The PJ1 paint I use on the engine itself where there is less heat and is not needed! Dont get me wrong, powder coat can be used on an engine, and it looks trick. However I just choose to paint mine for the OEM look.....its all personal preferance!

3wheelmecca
03-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Fast Black from PJ1 looks really good on cylinders, just my $.02 though

TheRealFatShady
03-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Alright, I will look in PJ1 paints. Want a white frame/plastics/tank, and black everything else. Hopefully I can find a matching color for exhaust/engine/frame. The frame wouldn't need to be high heat or PJ1 I wouldn't think.

Tecate 50
03-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Yout timing is perfect.....due to Clark making tanks starting this week! White fenders might not be easy to find! Maier discontinued the front and rear fenders 3 weeks ago all together....so that sucks!

TheRealFatShady
03-15-2010, 12:42 AM
I was going to just sand any color down, paint them, and then maybe clearcoat them.

Tecate 50
03-15-2010, 12:55 AM
The gas tank will never hold paint on a Tecate, it will simply flake off....the fumes breath threw the plastic on the Tecates! This is why all the stickers fall off!

mmiguy2103
03-15-2010, 06:45 AM
ok i totally disagree with most of the reply's. i have rebuilt going on 6 atc's 4 of them i have powder coated the entire engines. totally dissembled them and glass beaded them down to the raw aluminum, only one of them was water cooled,. the rest were air cooled. the first one i did was over 6 years ago and it still looks like the day it came out of the oven. still bright glossy. and it cleans really easy now with some soap and water.

that main thing about powder coating engine is proper fitment after wards. you cant not throw a case in the oven at 400F + or you will end up warping hte case and nothing will fit properly. i have some special powder that bakes at a lower 300F i have never had a issue with flaking or peeling. or heat problems.

paint yes looks great at first. but go ride your machine and get it dirty and try cleaning your engine after you have painted it! you will be regretting painting it right away when it starts to peel of scratch easily

go with the powder coating for sure!

mmiguy2103
03-15-2010, 06:46 AM
The gas tank will never hold paint on a Tecate, it will simply flake off....the fumes breath threw the plastic on the Tecates! This is why all the stickers fall off!

this is a common problem with people. there is a very easy and pretty cheap fix for this. use the kreem or some type of tank coating right away and it seal the plastic and boom there ya go no more flaking paint and no more peeling stickers

Tecate 50
03-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Well there you have it......all opinions and answers are different! If you attempt lining your Tecate for paint, let me know how it turns out and holds up as this has never been accomplished sucessfully that I have seen!

3wheelmecca
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
seems like a good idea

TheRealFatShady
03-15-2010, 11:21 AM
ok i totally disagree with most of the reply's. i have rebuilt going on 6 atc's 4 of them i have powder coated the entire engines. totally dissembled them and glass beaded them down to the raw aluminum, only one of them was water cooled,. the rest were air cooled. the first one i did was over 6 years ago and it still looks like the day it came out of the oven. still bright glossy. and it cleans really easy now with some soap and water.

that main thing about powder coating engine is proper fitment after wards. you cant not throw a case in the oven at 400F + or you will end up warping hte case and nothing will fit properly. i have some special powder that bakes at a lower 300F i have never had a issue with flaking or peeling. or heat problems.

paint yes looks great at first. but go ride your machine and get it dirty and try cleaning your engine after you have painted it! you will be regretting painting it right away when it starts to peel of scratch easily

go with the powder coating for sure!

Do you have any pictures? I'd be interested to see how a PC'd engine turned out.

mmiguy2103
03-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Do you have any pictures? I'd be interested to see how a PC'd engine turned out.

well as of right now i am at work and all i can find on my photobucket accoutn was the one cylinder i did and of course it isnt the air cooled ones lol
here is one for right now

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/mmiguy2103/bike_jug.jpg

n10sivern
03-15-2010, 01:49 PM
what powder are you using? i have 5 engines that i need to bead blast and PC. all my powder is 400 degree powder

mmiguy2103
03-15-2010, 03:23 PM
what powder are you using? i have 5 engines that i need to bead blast and PC. all my powder is 400 degree powder

most 400F powder will still bake at 300F but you have to almost double the time in the oven. i myself have a lower temp powder to do the cases and such, and normal powder in the same color for everything else. i bought mine a ways back from summit racing. idk if they still sell the lower temp stuff.