PDA

View Full Version : 225 axle removal help

ANTI-QUAD
08-24-2003, 05:54 PM
how do i get this thing out.I've got the hubs,break disc and lock nuts off.There is what looks like a threaded sleeve behind the lock nuts,tryed to turn it but no go in either direction..didn't want to force it too hard.i've done one of these years ago but cant remember the whole procedure,i also had a manual back then. thanks much

smokinwrench
08-24-2003, 06:52 PM
The sleeve you are talking about is NOT threaded it is just a spacer and provides a spot for the seal to ride against. It is designed so you can just slide the axle out once the nuts are removed. It has been my experience with these that they get rusted on tightly. I had to cut my last spacer and every bearing off with a diegrinder, before the axle would remove. I have always coated everything with antisieze during reassembly, it helps a bunch.

Josh

Lots_Of_Nothing
08-24-2003, 06:52 PM
on my old one....as i can remember....i just took everyone off the axle, made sure there was no more c-clips, or bolts....then take a rubber mallet and wack the end of the axle a few times and it just pops right out, make sure your forcing it out the right way

ANTI-QUAD
08-24-2003, 07:14 PM
dose that spacer run only under the seal and butt up against the bearing? and if it is not seized to the axle, should i be able to rotate it out? and lastly,just to be sure...does the axle pull out to the right(break side opposet of the lock nuts) thanks for the fast responces

smokinwrench
08-24-2003, 07:25 PM
dose that spacer run only under the seal and butt up against the bearing? and if it is not seized to the axle, should i be able to rotate it out? and lastly,just to be sure...does the axle pull out to the right(break side opposet of the lock nuts) thanks for the fast responces

Yes, it only butts against the bearing and runs under the seal. Yes it should rotate out, but my last one I could not budge it. Yes, it pulls out the brake side.

Josh

ANTI-QUAD
08-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks a lot man....I'll have to put you on my christmas card list lol.

givemean86triz
08-24-2003, 10:52 PM
Hydrualic press is the easiest way to take it out. If you don't have access to one. Take the whole swing arm assembly off and get a couple peices of plywood. Put the castle nut on the side of the axle you will be pounding on the plywood(so you don't damage the threads). And pound the axle off the plywood. It should eventually come out.