PDA

View Full Version : Metal Shavings on oil filter screen: 200X

200XMichigan
03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
So the other day I went to change my oil on the 200X and there were metal shavings on the oil filter screen. Never seen anything like it on any of my other vehicles. But this has been beat on more than most other things I own. I got it this fall and it had virtually no maintenance done to it by its previous owners. It had a few metal shaving on the screen the first time I changed the oil. But then the next three times the screen had nothing on it. It still runs great. But the headlight started kicking on and off, and would come back on when I floored it. There is evidence the metal shaving came from the magneto/alternator. I was going to pull the whole assembly to look at it but it started raining. I am going to rebuild the motor this summer but don't have any money right now to do anything.

Really just wondering is it possible since the previous owner didn't ever change the oil that there were some metal shaving left from whatever occurred to make them the first time?

Or is it more likely that I have a serious problem and need to wait to ride till I figure out where the shavings came from? Just seems really weird since the engine sounds and runs just like always. And it seems like if something broke internally there would be more than just a couple metal shavings.

Probably pull the magneto/alternator cover tomorrow and see what under there to make sure there's nothing broken in there. But man the puddles are huge, all the snow is melting, and a have some fresh 91 octane, and fresh oil and I just want to ride.....I just want someone to agree with the kid in me and tell me to go ride it, go thrash some puddles and some mud....but my mechanic side say to pull the magneto.

jensenracing77
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
how much was there? how big where they? i have seen engines that had nothing wrong with them have a little shavings in the filter. not much and not often but does happen. sometimes i think the small ones are some casting that has flaked off of the cases. sometimes you will find clutch basket shavings in the filter. if they were small slivers and only a couple i would not worry about it. i have changed oil on new bikes that had the first oil change and found a shaving or two in the filter. if they are many and large then you have a problem.

WIkid500
03-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Take the right cover off and open up the oil spinner. That will tell you a lot of how much metal is floating around the engine. The oil spinners really do work and do need to be cleaned.

200XMichigan
03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
They are real small, 1mm long, paper thin, aluminum. More than a couple. Enough it alarmed me. If the weather holds tomorrow I might take the right side cover off. I wanted to do it all winter but without a garage at the time I was worried I would get the cover off and it would start to snow. Happened the first two times I went to adjust my valves. Does the gasket on the right side cover need to be there for clearance reasons? Or can I just use some sealant on it? Sucks being broke.

WIkid500
03-10-2010, 11:59 PM
DONT USE RTV SILICONE!!!! Please keep that crap away from your trike. If your that hard up go get a piece of gasket paper for a couple of bux and cut a new one.

My 200x had a bunch of metal in the oil after it ate a rod bearing, and let the piston grind away on the crank weights. This all happened in one ride so there was no time to catch it before it blew parts and pieces everywhere. There shouldn't be aluminum floating around your oil system.

200XMichigan
03-11-2010, 12:21 AM
What's wrong with RTV? I've used it on all kinds of bikes and it has worked great for me. Makes it easier to take the gasket off next time around, seal imperfections in the metal. Just wondering, I love a good sealant. Never had any problems with them. And I like that a $7 dollar tube can make a ton of gaskets and you don't have to wait for them to come in at the dealership. I'm impatient.

But what I am really wondering does the gasket provide clearance for anything? For example on early CB750's the left side covers have to have factory gaskets otherwise the case exerts pressure on the gears in the starting system and it will bind as well as the shifter. So you would have to find a gasket material that was the same thickness, otherwise the clearance would be too large or small? But some side covers that gasket thickness is irrelevant. If it needs the gasket for clearance I'll order it, but if not I can inspect everything tomorrow and be riding later that day.

WIkid500
03-11-2010, 12:43 AM
The only thing the right side cover is for is to keep oil in the engine, and hold the clutch release lever. That is adjustable. Use the RTV if you must, I'm just glad it's not mine. Use it sparingly.

jensenracing77
03-11-2010, 06:27 AM
get a new gasket. those shavings could be the least of your worries after using that crap.

camoweasel
03-11-2010, 07:42 AM
The only thing the right side cover is for is to keep oil in the engine, and hold the clutch release lever. That is adjustable. Use the RTV if you must, I'm just glad it's not mine. Use it sparingly.

NO!!!! I was pretty sure that the right case cover also had oil passages integrated into it for the top end. By using RTV, you will fill those passages in, hence ruining your engine!!

WIkid500
03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
NO!!!! I was pretty sure that the right case cover also had oil passages integrated into it for the top end. By using RTV, you will fill those passages in, hence ruining your engine!!

You are very correct SIR!! I totally forgot about the oil passage in the right side cover, I remembered when thinking about the spot in the front you can drill for an oil cooler. Yeah don't use RTV there is a tiny orifice in that cover the oil goes through.. and that silicone will have that plugged in no time.

200XMichigan
03-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Thats all I needed to know. Haven't seen oil passages in a side cover before. Well I guess I'll be calling Honda. The agony of waiting to ride.

Are there any other machines people can think of that have oil passages in the side covers? Thats a first to me. A guy I know who built drag bikes and used 3 Bond in place of every gasket except the head and exhaust gaskets on his KZ1000. He swore by the stuff. And in all my other experience I really like sealant. When I use it I spread it out so it is super thin and even. Not that I am going to on the 200X due to the oil passages but I really am wondering why people hate the stuff so much?

jensenracing77
03-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Thats all I needed to know. Haven't seen oil passages in a side cover before. Well I guess I'll be calling Honda. The agony of waiting to ride.

Are there any other machines people can think of that have oil passages in the side covers? Thats a first to me. A guy I know who built drag bikes and used 3 Bond in place of every gasket except the head and exhaust gaskets on his KZ1000. He swore by the stuff. And in all my other experience I really like sealant. When I use it I spread it out so it is super thin and even. Not that I am going to on the 200X due to the oil passages but I really am wondering why people hate the stuff so much?
ATC 70, ATC 90, 300EX, 400EX, 185S, 200S, ....... many bikes have them in the side cases. it just is not a good idea to use it anywhere around these engines other than where it is required, and then only use the right amount. the oil passages in these engines are so small they can be clogged up easy with a little that gets loose on the inside of the engine. i seen a 350X head destroyed by some that got into the oil tube that goes to the head. it ate the cam bearing surface up.

200XMichigan
03-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Good to know. I am way more familiar with street bike engines. Haven't run across any with oil passages like that. Guess I am just going to have to accept buying side cover gaskets.

mtsnieg
03-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I recently bought a 200x, topped off the oil and ran it around a couple days. Changed to oil and there were metat shaving in it. Probably from my third gear being toast and a noisy top end. I haven't started it since, although I've been tempted. Just not worth risking more damage.

Aka_am
03-12-2010, 12:32 AM
I have RTV on my x, just to replaced some missing spots in the gaskets. I haven't ever had a problem but I'm saving for the real thing for sure. small metal shavings are fine, it just happens when the motor parts mesh together and is an ongoing process. Large ones..well good luck :D