PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 84 honda 200S/ start issue

bigworm626
03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey guys,
I'm working to get my 200S running, so far I've had no luck. I rebuilt my recoil unit & replaced the pull rope, I was able to get a used decompression cable but I noticed inside the recoil it's missing the spring that goes connected to the plastic unit where the decom cable goes to. Not sure if this willl afect the funtionalbility of this cable, anyhow I also rebuilt the carb, new gaskets & all. I checked the following parts by swaping them out with a running 200s that I have: cdi ignition points, spark plusg cable unit. both worked fine. Checked the compression by doing the thumb check & it blows air pretty good. I tryed using starter fluid to start it but I'm having no luck. i also checked the spark coming out of the spark plug & it's good as well. I haven't checked the OHMs values for the stators, but the question I have is if I'm getting good spark to the plug, does that mean that my stator coils are in good shape, or if they go bad, will I still have spark regardless??

jb2wheels
03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
If you're getting spark, your stator is likely fine.

When was the last time this engine ran? What was changed since then?

Is gas getting to the cylinder?

Is the decompression lever on the head releasing?

The earlier engines (81ish) had a manual decomp lever. You might try disconnecting your decomp cable and manually setting the decomp lever just to eliminate it as an issue.

What did the carb rebuild include? Did you dip/spray/soak and make sure all the passages are unblocked?

Gas in the tank? Petcock on?

Any reason to suspect the timing?

bigworm626
03-10-2010, 02:19 PM
jb,
Here we go:Bike was last started about 3 years ago/not running when I got it.
Indeed, getting good spark from the plug.
-I am smeeling gas from the plug, I'm also using starter fluid directly to the spark plug hole.
-The decom cable is not connected yet, but I'm oving the lever manualy, Is it normal to be really easy to move?
-For the carb I did a gasket, I only soked & cleaned, didn't really clean the passage ways, as they looked clean
-Gas is new, petcock on.
-I have not checked the timing

mopar_man
03-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Don't even bother with moving the decompression cable. Flip it all the way forward. It'll be a little harder to pull but nothing terrible. I would be checking the passages in your carb. Did you adjust the valves?

bigworm626
03-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Mopaman,
I have not checked the valves yet, I'll be checking that on the weekend. If I'm applying starter fluid directly to the plug hole it should at least attempt to start right?

br350obx
03-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I bought an '84 200s a few months ago,not running.I relaced the CDI ,ignition coil and wire and plug(NGK DPR8EA-9).It would then start ,but soon foul out(black and dry).I would have to clean it to get it started again.I then replaced the carb with one of those Chinnese carbs off Ebay,runs good now.Does it do anything when you try to start it?I would put a new plug in it for one.Timing may be an issue here,mark your base plate location and try to start it at a few different positions.Also ,like Mopar Man said,don't worry about the decompression cable,disconnect and leave it forward, mine has not been connected yet,it's not hard to start. I have a Clymer manual if you need any specifics, I can help there.

Russell 350X
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd adjust the valve's first, and change the plug. I've seen plugs that are sparking, but the bike won't start. Install a new plug and it runs. It sounds like an ignition problem to me.

DJG2332
03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I tell you what. I had the same problem with my '85. I had two brand new NGK plugs bought from a Honda dealer in town. They would work then fowl out in minutes. I messed with the trike take the plug out clean it spray some starting fluid in start right up then fowl out (pitch black in minutes). Did this for weeks. Adjusted carb read manual almost bought a new carb. Then my brother comes over gives me the equivalent Auto lite spark plug and.............started right up! Rode for 2 hours with no problems. Its been running the same and starting on one pull for 2 weeks with a used old Auto Lite plug. Try that. I was amassed and still am. I will never buy another NGK plug again!

Plug info- Autolite platinum mp 4163

bigworm626
03-11-2010, 03:19 PM
djg2332,
What I did notice on the spark plug is that the thread tip is bent to one side but i still get spark coming out of the plug. I will wap with the one I have on my running 200S I see what happens.

Thx,
the worm