PDA

View Full Version : 85 250R Counter Balancer holding me up while splitting cases, Help!

81Rmachine
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Im currently doing a complete overhaul on a an 85 Honda 250R for a guy. I've split the cases on many other engines but for some reason I cant get it to split by the balance shaft. The clutch, flywheel, crank gear, everything is removed and I got the cases to partially seperate, but they wont split any further than about an 8th of an inch aroung the balance shaft. I've looked at a micro fiche page and there looks to be nothing fastening it in. I just want some advice from someone thats done this so I don't break anything on this guys engine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Nick

Mosh
03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
If the balancer is still in the engine, the weights are probably turned to the point that the cases wont clear the weights on the balancer.
The balnacer should be removed from the clutch side before case splitting begins. The balancer has to be turned just right to clear the case during removal.

Red Rider
03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Another possibility, on the left side, underneath the stator cover, 2 of the bolts that hold the counter-balancer bearing holder on, also hold the case halves together.

Dirtcrasher
03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
You "don't want to break this guys engine" but a microfiche is your "manual"............. Don't mind me, I just wish people would do some homework/reading before attacking the problem. These cases are now discontinued. There are free downloads of manuals everywhere, you may see what your missing.

ANYHOW:

Your missing a bolt or something like the other guys suggested. Dowel in could be rusted.

The right side is the easy side to remove, there is another thousandth of clearance where the main bearing rides. BUT, I find the tranny easier to put in the right side than the left; So, the book is great to have as a guide, but you learn as you do a few also.

It should "break free" at least even if the counter balancer is binding. If the cases split even just a 1/16th, you'd know you have all the bolts out etc. And it's something your just not seeing.

81Rmachine
03-10-2010, 10:08 PM
If you'll look at my post like I said its splipt about an eighth so I'm not forgetting any bolts and no I dont rely on micro fiche pages I have manuals for my own machines but he doesnt want to buy a manual and someone who's split a liquid motor has better advice anyway. Its not the first time working on a liquid just the first time splitting cases and no other motor I've rebuilt with a counter balancer has given me trouble.

Red Rider
03-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Good luck then!

Dirtcrasher
03-10-2010, 11:53 PM
^ Agreed, if it popped about 1/8th it should be chicken to see whats up............

Simple motor, it ought to be staring you in the face as far as the binding goes.

BUT, I'm not there and there aren't any pics to look at so it be what it be!

G-Luck!

NOS_350X
03-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Turn the engine over so the weight goes to the front half of the engine, You have to do that to clear the crankcase chamber as it slides appart.

Dirtcrasher
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Why not remove the balancer? Pop the cover off the right side and I believe the right has a small plate with 2 8MM head bolts that hold the CB bearing in.

Roll it out the right side....

DeePa
03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
there is a keeper that is about 1/8 of an inch away from the cbalancer bearing. You missed this. Held on by 2 8mm head hex bolts. A C shaped plate which slides under the large gear on the clutch side.

Dirtcrasher
03-11-2010, 04:37 PM
^ I just said that you meathead!! :lol: Can't you read DEEPASQWALLY??

I've got a line on an 86 250R in a box, 600$. It might be mine Saturday :naughty:

81Rmachine
03-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Why not remove the balancer? Pop the cover off the right side and I believe the right has a small plate with 2 8MM head bolts that hold the CB bearing in.

Roll it out the right side....
I did remove that plate and tried removing the left bearing holder it must just be stuck in the bearings cause I know I'm not binding it

Dammit!
03-12-2010, 03:03 PM
I have manuals for my own machines but he doesnt want to buy a manual

You can download them for free. If you look REALLY hard you might find a link where you can get them. :lol:

ceaserthethird
03-12-2010, 05:12 PM
You can download them for free. If you look REALLY hard you might find a link where you can get them. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Dammitrtfm:lol:[QUOTE=Dammit!;848217]