PDA

View Full Version : Just got an 85 sx today. Differential was almost dry

tri again
03-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Had about a ounce of oil in the diff but looked like just enough to get grabbed by the ring and pinion teeth.
They only hold a little over 3 oz shotglasses full
I changed/drained it before it even came off the tailgate.

Thing starts like a dream, idles like it's getting bored and seems a bit snappier than my 250 es, maybe just a little lighter?

Temp dropped to thirty at dark so I guess I'll see what I really got tomorrow.

200 bucks has got to be worth it for the tires.
\
Also never had a bike with brakes that work, so that's very different

Anything else I should know about the sx models?

Never seen one before but my es is such a pain to start, I almost can't use it unless I talk someone into kickig it for me.

honda200x1987
03-09-2010, 01:13 AM
You have a reliable Honda ATC there, those rear end differentials are indestructible as long as you keep oil in them. I don't think they hurt it much ,you say it did have a little oil in the rear end so i think you will be ok.

tri again
03-09-2010, 03:12 AM
You have a reliable Honda ATC there, those rear end differentials are indestructible as long as you keep oil in them. I don't think they hurt it much ,you say it did have a little oil in the rear end so i think you will be ok.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I'm in that 2nd or 3rd gear age group so it will prob not see any more wear.

Will go nice and easy tomorrow to warm it up, maybe a hairdryer since it's so cold out and then change it again in a nice clean pan.

Sure looks easier to put the front wheel high up and use the fill plug to drain it.

cattle-dog
03-09-2010, 08:21 AM
you will find they dont hold much more than that maybe 2 ounces

MonroeMike
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Congrats on the new machine.

cattle-dog
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
get the electric start working and if you like trail riding the sx is a great machine i ride my sx everyday

Frankencelery
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I love my SX. It's an awesome all-around trail riding machine. I use mine to do a bit of work too. I wish I had another one, so my wife doesn't take it every time we go riding!

My diff was dry too when I got it, and even though I replaced it when I did all the wheel bearings, later examination of the old differential found it was fine.

The big issue with the '85 SX is that water would get into the differential and ruin it. It had to do with the driveshaft boot leaking, but it can also get in via the rear axle too, if your bearings and seals are bad.

tri again
03-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I love my SX. It's an awesome all-around trail riding machine. I use mine to do a bit of work too. I wish I had another one, so my wife doesn't take it every time we go riding!

My diff was dry too when I got it, and even though I replaced it when I did all the wheel bearings, later examination of the old differential found it was fine.

The big issue with the '85 SX is that water would get into the differential and ruin it. It had to do with the driveshaft boot leaking, but it can also get in via the rear axle too, if your bearings and seals are bad.

Ran the new 250sx today for the first time, ya know, just to warm it up and change oils.

Wasn't able to open the throttle all the way.
Entirely TOO fast.
I've got one spot along the creek where I can hit 60 mph on a 2 wheeled mc or truck but this thing is sooo fast I just gave up and backed off when I hit 3rd.

I remember the guy telling me something about overbore, new piston blabla.

He easily has over 100k$ worth of toys, boats and some 30 grand quad thingie so he's the serious type about horsepower.

This bike looks beat, but more like it was run reallyreally hard but taken care of extremely well.

I truly think they like that kind of loving 'abuse'., dents cracks, dirty but completely functional in all ways. I think I'm in love.

Still cant believe I didnt have to work on it for days like all the others, anyway...

I am very jazzed about having a bike I can actually walk up to, start and ride away.

Always tons of farm work to do and my 85 bigred has that 'factory recall cold start' issue that never got fixed when new so it needs 10 kicks to get it going, or 5 ten second bursts with the starter and even then it wants a god old fashioned kick on the compression stroke to fire.

Warm? its a dream, 1/2 kick start, idles like a baby sleeping.

Kinda glad I 'gave up' on that one or I never would've found this new 250sx dream machine.

oh, and NOW I can take the hard start big red apart and do it right since I have something I can trust to get my work done.

Maybe I can find one of these sx carbs to fit that actually works