PDA

View Full Version : O-Ring CHains...worth it?

Frankencelery
03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
As I slowly get all the parts to put my ATC125m back together, I'm in need of a drive chain. I'm going to have to replace the chain and sprockets. I noticed there was originally an o-ring chain on it. Are these worth the price that's charged for them? Some say the o-rings don't really keep out dirt on ATV's like they would on a street bike.

Mr_RPM
03-08-2010, 07:41 PM
basically the o ring is suppose to seal in lube and keep dirt out, o ring chains dont need to be lubed and normally last longer because of it, but they put more resistance on the drive too. non orings need to be lubed alot and with all the lube dust sticks and builds up and because of that wears out faster, but if u dont mind cleaning and lubing it will last just as long and be less resistence for your 125 to turn over.
they dont use o ring chains for racing.
but the cheapness of the non o ring will be replaced with buying chain lube constantly.

xrider
03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
O-ring chains are nice, but i wouldn't run one on that small of a displacement, as Mr RPM said the resistance is higher

Mr_RPM
03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
well they run o-ring chains stock. so getting a non o-ring chain might make it faster, i recently went from the original 84 o-ringed chain to a new o-ring free chain. didnt notice to much but at that point the old chain was skipping over the sprockets and this was in the snow so its hard to tell. but the O-ring chain did last 26 years so.... thats your advantage if your not into cleaning and lubing after every good dirty ride. but even if you just sprayed some lube now and then it will last 10 years since there is no suspension on our bikes

Frankencelery
03-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Ok, so on to the next question....how often do you guys lube your chains? I mean, really? I don't think I've ever done one. I'm not saying this is a good or recommended thing, but just a fact. Maybe something I need to start doing?

harryredtrike
03-09-2010, 01:46 AM
everytime i ride in rain or mud i clean and lube.if i ride on a nice day i dont.

Thorpe
03-09-2010, 01:54 AM
On my BR shafty, I never oil the chain... On my rocket, every couple of days of riding....

Mr_RPM
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
back on my warrior and 400ex atleast once a week (we rode like everyday), but the 110, never did because it was o-ring and i just didnt care. my first 10 years with my trike i just beat on it and didn't appreciate it. only now am I taking care of it, but im making up for what i didnt do in the past lol.

Tri-Z 250
03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I use a chain wax, after every ride.

Taiser
03-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I spray the chain with chain lube once in the spring and once in the fall, takes all of 2 minutes...but I don't ride that much in dirt and the chain is still well sealed. If I was running in mud/water all day I'd probably do it more often.

86waterpumper
03-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I think in moderate conditions they probably help and do last longer but I think alot of people see a o-ring chain as being completely maintenance free...It still needs cleaned and lubed every now and again, but maybe not as often as a regular chain. I say for those really sinking the bikes in the mud every ride it probably doesn't matter which you run haha.

phantombiker
03-09-2010, 04:00 PM
after all that, i have a stupid question. would the chain matter on a 250r or 350x as far as resistance goes?

Mr_RPM
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
after all that, i have a stupid question. would the chain matter on a 250r or 350x as far as resistance goes?
no, you won't be able to tell a difference as far as resistance goes.

phantombiker
03-09-2010, 05:33 PM
no, you won't be able to tell a difference as far as resistance goes.

so, it would be a power/resistance ratio that you were referring to in earlier post? sorry for stupid questions. not familiar with the technicals of bikes.

Taiser
03-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Boils down to how easy the chain spins around the sprocket...O-ring chains are stiffer that way, but on a bigger machine that fact is negligible! :)

Mr_RPM
03-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Boils down to how easy the chain spins around the sprocket...O-ring chains are stiffer that way, but on a bigger machine that fact is negligible! :)

exactly, its easier to spin a non o-ring chain. O-ring chains are a bit stiffer, but even with the 8HP of my 110 (thats my guess on hp) its hard to tell. basically get the o-ring chain unless your on a budget or your trying to squeeze every bit of speed out of your machine.

200XMichigan
03-09-2010, 09:30 PM
You gotta figure shaft drive only has a 3% power loss compared to a chain so an o-ring chain vs regular chain the power loss should be unnoticeable. Sure if you race a fraction of a percent will make a difference but for everyone else there is basically no real power loss in an o-ring chain.

Frankencelery
03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I know I've replaced chains and had the machine be faster afterwards! That happened on my KLT110!

Mr_RPM
03-10-2010, 12:57 PM
probably because the old chain was so warn it made it all stiff, but new for new i doubt a big difference will be noticed. but maybe, i didnt on my 110 atleast.

Frankencelery
03-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I agree. I'm sure it was becuase my old chain was rusty and stiff.

Funny, I think I take pretty good care of my trikes, but chain maintenance has obviously been a total blind spot! I just never think of it...