PDA

View Full Version : Taking the R in to get fixed, Advice on upgrades?

Yamaha Tri-Moto
03-07-2010, 06:28 PM
My 83 250r died about a year or so ago and am finally going to bring it in to get fixed. I'm looking to spend around $1000 on it or so. Any advice on upgrades or anything? I'm assuming its still the stock bore and cylinder/piston but i'm not sure. What would be a good bore size for it? I'm just thinking i may as well get some goodies for it while its in the shop. Appreciate the input. Thanks

JohnR.
03-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Bore it as little as you need to in order to clean up the cylinder walls. You won't gain much power or cc's by going to a bigger bore without doing a full sleeve set up that is designed for a significantly larger piston. For more power you can never go wrong with the basics. Add some compression, a good set of reeds (or even better a good reed cage), a pipe/silencer, and a bigger carb. If you have money for a little port work its nice but not really necessary for a play machine.

Yamaha Tri-Moto
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
any advice on a good carb that would work on an 83R something that i can just order through the bike shop?

JohnR.
03-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable on the air cooled R's and what carb you go with depends on what you are going to do as far as performance upgrades on the rest of the machine. I have always run Keihin PWK's and even ran a 39mm one on my R when it was relatively stock but that might be too much carb for your set up. Maybe a 36mm Keihin?

Yamaha Tri-Moto
03-07-2010, 06:58 PM
When getting a reed cage is there a specific kind or brand that i should look out for. I see Boyesen cage, is this something that would work well? I have only rebuilt the top end on my Yamaha one time so sorry for all the questions. I would just like to go into the shop and have some idea of what i want done. Thanks

JohnR.
03-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I have only used two different cages over the years (besides stock). I had a Paul Turner Pyramid cage and now I have a Boyesen Rad Valve. From what I understand the Pyramid is more of a top end one and the Rad Valve is more mid range. I have heard nothing but good things about the V-Force cages, I will probably try one of them on my T3 build. The nice thing with the Rad Valve is that it also replaces the stock boot. If you did the work yourself then your $1000 budget would go a lot further.