PDA

View Full Version : "The Overland Route". Ashton & Island Park, I

boneidaho
08-23-2003, 01:24 PM
I was out cutting grain 2 day's ago and a guy I work with called and said he got a new golf cart. He wanted to go riding, so we went to ride the abandoned Union Pacific railroad grade. We started at Bear Gulch near Ashton, Idaho, and rode to Big Spring's in Island Park, Idaho. One way was 35.4 miles. We gased up at a gas station and checked my mileage. His new Honda has an odometer and it said the 35.4 miles. I used .77 of a gallon in my 85-200X. That's 46 miles per gallon. His golf cart got 22.5 MPG. We rode 70.8 round trip miles. It took us 3 hour's and 40 minutes. We were probably 20-25 miles short of West Yellowstone, Montana. He needed to get back home. I was so worn out last evening after the ride. We rode pretty fast considering the trail condition's. Some places were very smooth and you could hold the throttle open for miles, and some places were a little choppy. Very beautiful day there. We got a little rain, and some sunshine. We haven't had rain for month's, so it was welcome.

yater
08-29-2003, 10:50 PM
I dug this up a couple of pages back. I would love to find a railbed where I could cover that much ground. Did the 200x do alright on the trip? I'm looking for one.

BLAZERONE22
08-29-2003, 11:34 PM
I envy you, I need to do a trip like that here soon, maybe I should load up and head to Boisie and visit my buddy there.