PDA

View Full Version : best way to break a bead?

QCR77
03-06-2010, 05:10 PM
im about to take off to the cycleplex. thay have an innertube waiting for me for the back tire on 85' 250ES. the tire has a tear about an inch long in between the treads. was gonna put fix-a-flat but didnt think it would work long term on that kinda tear. it has been spewing slime for days. so when i get back i get to tackle breaking the bead and i hear its real fun. any tips? also should i take all the plugs outta the tire so they dont rub on the tube?

side note- what exactly do i turn on the 350x to tighten chain? i know what to loosen, but not what to turn to actually tighten the chain. thanks for tips if you got any

Mr_RPM
03-06-2010, 05:29 PM
as for breaking the bead, besides using a tire machine there are a few techniques out there, one that everyone should have the equipment for is put a 2x4 bored of wood on the sidewall of the tire then drive up the 2x4 with a car/truck in a ramp like fashion. the down force from driving up on the 2x4 will break the bead. make sure you have the valve stem out when breaking a bead.

Vealmonkey
03-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I would recommend getting a new tire over a tube anyday, especially with a 1" tear. It may pop your tube right away. Dry rot, maybe a tube, but a tear, I'm not thinking so. Just be really careful. That's just a butt load of pain waiting to happen there.

AutoXer
03-06-2010, 06:57 PM
+1 on what veal said
those harbour freight tire machines are awsome for changing tires

2Tim215
03-06-2010, 07:16 PM
+1 on what veal said
those harbour freight tire machines are awsome for changing tires

I am curious which Tire Changer you use from Harbor Freight? I have the larger one set up with lag bolts to my shop floor and even ordered the separate ATV Tire Bead Breaker and they are very difficult to break the beads on 25-12-9's. I have tried several tires that they couldn't break at all and very few that did. I also have the smaller Harbor Freight Tire Changer so that is why I am asking. It is still in the box, never set it up as I figured bigger would be better for Bead Lock wheels. I will try the 2x4 thing next!

muddog
03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
just make friends with somebody in the tire shop(or the high school shop they don't charge labor just parts so changing tires is FREE)

Mr_RPM
03-06-2010, 09:24 PM
i agree with veal, new tire is the way to go for big dry rot situations, now if it was a pop from a nail or something a tube is fine, but thats just a small hole. u will end up needing the new tire anyway, sounds like the tire is old and the tube is just gonna be a temp fix. basically your choice is spend now or later

QCR77
03-06-2010, 09:28 PM
after an hour of trying to break it with my truck, i broke down and took it to walmart. $5 and they took the tire off, innertube in, and tire back on. the tires arent dry rotted, just had a hole and i guess the plug came out

Mr_RPM
03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
oh, ha good deal. i have done the 2x4 once myself with an old blaster tire on a 2 piece honda rim, it took a little effort, what tire/rim do u have that u failed with? just so i can know what doesnt really work to well. but theres other ways, neighbors use their car lift by dropping the arms down on top of the tires side wall, i also read a member on here pushed a backhoe down on his. basically imagination is the limit. but shoot 5 bucks at wal-mart? sounds damn good to me. my dads work charges like 30 bucks with their machine

TDS
03-06-2010, 09:39 PM
you guys have any experience with this? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92961 breaker

i need to get one

2Tim215
03-06-2010, 09:58 PM
you guys have any experience with this? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92961 breaker

i need to get one

I haven't used that one but would love to know if it would work on the 25-12-9's! If it does I'll get one tomorrow. Here's the Harbor Freight Tire Changer I use,
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91102
The Bead Breaker it comes with didn't work well at all with ATV wheels/tires so I bought the "optional" ATV Bead Breaker below,
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91101
If you look close, the pressure point is not as wide as the one that came with it. I guess I should get some metal together and experiment and maybe make my own! Hope someone chimes in on the one you linked. I sort of have my doubts because of the width of the pressure point that pushes the bead down, but maybe???

ceaserthethird
03-07-2010, 04:25 AM
I currently am using the Harbor freight tire changer, It's Hell !

Takes alot of time with the ATV tires, Breaking the Bead is a Pain, Mounting is better. To be honest Just Got to your local tire shop !

Weasels Dad
03-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I had a tire kick my butt just today. Had a large hammer with the other end made to fit around a rim. You hit the other end with a sledge and after an hour of banging my brains out I am takeing the others to a shop. Somethings I am just going to pay money to have done. I did get one done though, tuff stuff.