PDA

View Full Version : What drives the powervalve gov rod?

Tbcoplin
03-06-2010, 12:23 AM
In the process of rebuilding my 86 tecate. I'm stumped on how the KIPS system works. When the engine isn't running, the valves should b closed right? What is it the drives the governor rod back and forth to open and close the exhaust valves?

Red Rider
03-06-2010, 02:50 AM
In the process of rebuilding my 86 tecate. I'm stumped on how the KIPS system works. When the engine isn't running, the valves should b closed right? What is it the drives the governor rod back and forth to open and close the exhaust valves?Yes, they should be closed when the engine is not running, or at low RPM's. There is a centrifugal governor inside your clutch cover that positions the rod back & forth based on the engine's RPM's.

Tbcoplin
03-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Thank you, i put it together with them open, would this keep the motor from starting? I am able to turn the springloaded linkage and I put it in the closed position. I put that funny little keeper in place and stabbed the cylinder and can work the linkage with a racket on the linkage nut. If I stab the cylinder now, it should run huh?

Red Rider
03-06-2010, 02:52 PM
It would still run with the valves open, but it wouldn't have much power. I understand how powervalve systems work (they all operate on the same principle) & am very familiar with the 86-91 CR250R HPP system, but unfortunately I've never worked on the Kawasaki KIPS system, so I don't know about any of the parts you're referring to. I see you're rebuilding your Tecate. Was the powervalve system working properly before? Was the cylinder removed from the bottom end? Did you rebuild the bottom end? Do you have a repair manual?

Red Rider
03-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I see, in another thread, that you're trying to get your hands on a manual. That's your best bet. With all of my questions above, I'm trying to figure out if you assembled something incorrectly, the previous owner did, or if something is just broken in the linkage system. Good luck.

darkestskydiver
03-06-2010, 03:18 PM
there is a little cover just above the waterpump cover. 2 bolts hold it on. remove this and you will see the lever and arm in there. loosen the nut on top. take a flat blade and push the valve rod all the way in twords the cylinder. make sure the little groove in the shaft is facing up, then tighten the bolt back down. also i put the link in your other thread. for the service manual that i downloaded. you'll want to download both of them. one is the base manual and the other is the supliment for the 86-87

tecat-z
03-06-2010, 06:20 PM
They have timing marks on them. Little punch marks really. They HAVE to be installed correctly, and move freely before attaching to rod and governor. They act as small shutters. The KIPS system of that era doesn't effect exhaust height, it only allows for more exhaust area and volume at WOT. Not as effective as the barrel or guilotine designs, where both port timing and volume are addressed together.

MIK6
03-06-2010, 06:25 PM
there is a little cover just above the waterpump cover. 2 bolts hold it on. remove this and you will see the lever and arm in there. loosen the nut on top. take a flat blade and push the valve rod all the way in twords the cylinder. make sure the little groove in the shaft is facing up, then tighten the bolt back down. also i put the link in your other thread. for the service manual that i downloaded. you'll want to download both of them. one is the base manual and the other is the supliment for the 86-87

that nut is reverse thread, on is off, off is on!!! ive seen alot w/ that lever welded on.

MIK6 / Mike

darkestskydiver
03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
that nut is reverse thread, on is off, off is on!!! ive seen alot w/ that lever welded on.

MIK6 / Mike
yeah that's how mine is. p.o snapped it off. along with the threads for the water pump impeller.:crazy: will replace all this when i do a rebuild.

Tbcoplin
03-09-2010, 02:11 AM
I put the motor together and it would not start. I was able to kick it over with my hand. Is this because the powervalves were open? I had fire, fuel and air. Not sure why it would not start. I sprayed a little starting fluid and it back fired. I took the motor back apart. I took the side covers off the bottom end and checked everything out and put them back on. When I put the cylinder back on, The powervalves were open. I took the jug back off and turned the nut on the linkage until the rod was all the way in (towards the cylinder side) in another words, the gov rod is all the way extended so that when I stab the jug, with the little keeper in place, the Power valves are now in the closed position. Hoping this is correct. I'm thinking about putting it all together and seeing if it will start now. Hoping I have more compression with the powervalves closed. Anyone have any other thoughts on why it would not start? Please help!!

Tbcoplin
03-09-2010, 02:13 AM
I got the manual links Darkestskydiver. Thanks a bunch .

nd4speed
03-09-2010, 02:25 AM
it would start with power valves open, closed, or even removed. Those little valves will NOT prevent it from starting

Bad stator coils (or poor timing)
lean
excess gas in crank case
low compression