PDA

View Full Version : painting tips any one

tyler250rissick
03-04-2010, 11:02 PM
im painting my 250r. i used eching primer so that the paint sticks better any one have any ideas

mopar_man
03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
What parts are you painting? What kind of paint are you using? Your question is much too vague to get a good answer.

jb2wheels
03-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I just ordered the supplies to paint my ATC 90. The tank is from a 74 and the fenders are fiberglass.

Before I started on this, I spent a lot of time on this forum:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/

My tank and fenders have been rattle-canned black. The tank had original orange paint under the black. Fenders have some kind of custom blue. Anyway, I'm sanding off as much as possible, fixing dents in the tank, then painting with:
SPI epoxy primer
TCP Restoration shop urethane base coat
SPI universal clear.

The only thing I every painted before was the grille on my Chevy truck about 15 years ago.
All I can suggest is read until decide to actually do it, then jump in with both feet and see how it comes out.

You're probably painting the frame and misc parts since it's a waste of time to paint the plastics. I rattle canned my frame, forks, wheels, etc. On future projects, I'll explore more durable options like powder coating or 2-stage auto paint like above. The rattle canned stuff has not been very durable.

tyler250rissick
03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
oh hahaha im painting the plastic

johnny's X
03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
etching primer is mainly used for raw metal. If you want it to last I would use the correct automotive paints. go to your local paint deal and he will set you up. Unless you are looking just to toss a paint job on it.