PDA

View Full Version : Plastics swapping questions

Muddy
03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Been reading up here learning a lot.... & enjoying some of the eye candy on here too! :naughty:

Thanks for all of the help & inspiration guys!

Anyways, I found a warehouse that has boxes among boxes of NIB seats, plastics, motor parts, complete motors, you name it & it's cheap.... real cheap. Everything except the motors seem to be priced $5 or less. Brand new motors are only $70!!!! The only catch is, it's all for Chinese bikes. I know I probably won't get an answer if I ask what plastics would work on an ATC since there's way too many Chinese ATVs out there changing names & models weekly it seems. :rolleyes:

I am wondering how hard is it to modify a set of plastics (should be simple cutting) & can someone get me some measurements for a 1980 110 or a 1982 200? Since I have no plastics & the price is cheap enough, I'm hoping to get measurements to buy a set close enough for my trikes if possible. If I fail I'm out a whopping $5 & some time, but if I get it right I'm saving $$$ AND getting a custom one off look (not to mention color options).

Am I crazy for thinking outside of the box?

atctim
03-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't think this is crazy at all. The hardest part will be using the Honda brackets and mounts to fit the Chinese plastics and seats. If there is a will - there is a way. I say for that price pick up a few and try em out - what is the worst that will happen - you'll be out a few bucks.

rdlsz24
03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I would also give it a try.

On a side note, you could turn a profit on those motors. Lifans/Loncins sell for $300 or so on eBay depending on the size.

Rob

Muddy
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Good to hear I'm not alone in thinking this is a fun idea. I don't have any brackets or bolts for the 200 so I'll probably have to fab all of that stuff up anyways unless there is a place to buy this stuff.

I thought about picking up a couple of motors, but they are mostly horizontal(?) motors. If I had a 70 instead of a 110, I'd be all over them. That & the wiring isn't included. The warehouse guys have no clue what all is there, so it's hunt & pick.

Muddy
03-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Uh oh! I just noticed that the 82 200 has three piece rear fenders! (At least I think so). Does anyone know if any of the later one piece 200 models will mount up? I'm looking around for some pics to reference when I go "custom fender" shopping, but the 200 might be tricky.

AutoXer
03-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I need a motor for a 70.... wana make some quick money??? I don't care about the harness

ovhonda1
03-05-2010, 12:35 PM
same here on the motor for the 70.

Muddy
03-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Went & checked today about picking up some motors since I've gotten such a response. After I looked at them closer, they are Qianjiang 90cc motors made for scooters. That would probably explain the cheap pricing. I apologize for everyone that PM'ed me about buying one, but if you guys are still wanting one let me know. They do appear new, but are they worth the swap? IDK. Not really sure if they would bolt up, but I don't have a 70 for reference. On a more positive note, I did find a 200cc Loncin motor that I'm planning to buy if I can find a wiring harness & there is an old Honda 110 in the corner simply labeled "110 - smokes". I might look into it for mine, but I'm still considering my options.

I just bought a tank for $6 (gonna need minor adjustments to fit), handlebars for $3, & some plastics to cut up for $5. Looks like my 200 is gonna be Olive Drab Green. It was either that or a light gray set. I just need to figure out seating, a front fender, & a few maintenance things for the 200 & I'm about ready to roll. I'm thinking of painting the tank green with a yellow/gold star on each side & "ATC 200" stenciled in the star. Like a military looking trike.

On the 110, I bought some radical plastics that look like they go on a Raptor, but they are bright red. I've still got the base for my old plastic set & the "Raptor clone" set has a battery box. I'm going to cut out the center from the new set & fiberglass them to the old 110 factory base. Think it will work if I attack it from the underside?

Looks like I'm gonna have a couple of unique ATCs if nothing else, lol.