PDA

View Full Version : 250sx help with final drive leak

rzsox05
03-01-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm in the process of swapping motors in my 86 250sx. I'm learning as I go so any help is appreciated. The final drive has been leaking oil so I removed it while I had the motor out to find the leak. It turned out the drain plug was the problem. Should have checked it closer before removing the rear axle/ect. I noticed that when I held the final drive case vertically, drive shaft pointing down, a small amount of oil would trickle out. Does anyone know if this is normal or is there a seal that needs replaced. I have a service manual, couldn't find any info if this is to help with lubrication of shaft or not.

honda200x1987
03-01-2010, 12:29 AM
That should not be a problem but it should not leak. You should go ahead and change the seal while you have it apart. I have changed bearings and seals in the 250sx and its pretty simple. make sure you have a good drive shaft boot to and keep it full of shaft oil.

honda200x1987
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
One thing to remember with the drive shaft drive models,,they will last forever as long as you keep check of the shaft oil.

rzsox05
03-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm having trouble getting the pinion joint nut off. I've read other people have used a penny to lock the shaft. Will that damage the gears or is it the best way to keep it from spinning? Also, there is a black rubber ring with a metal ring toward the center. I think its the oil seal. Is there an easy way to remove this?

rzsox05
03-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I tried jamming a penny in the gears but the penny gets chewed up when I try to loosen the pinion joint nut. Anyone have any suggestions. I may end up taking it to the Honda Store to see if they can get it, not sure what the charge will be.